Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Headline: WSJ: US Airways Bd Decided To Discontinue Merger Talks With United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Headline: WSJ: US Airways Bd Decided To Discontinue Merger Talks With United

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2010, 7:37 am

Programs: UA 2MM, HY Diamond, ZE Pres
I've flown all three over the past few years -- UA, US, CO -- and found the US level of service to be far below that of CO and UA. Therefore, my thoughts re the merger is that CO brings far more to the table in the way of customer service; US would have pulled the combination down.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
It's not clear that UA would have called the shots in a UA-US merger, but it seems far more likely.

I've said for a while that US could possibly have been preferential to a CO merger if it meant more of UA's management were making the decisions.

As for the CO hype about customer service, I don't exactly know what that's all about. Of all the carriers I've flown, CO has probably some of the worst customer service I've encountered. They're trained to smile and be friendly, but I don't fall for that. In terms of actual results, they fall short of their COunterparts.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by channa
It's not clear that UA would have called the shots in a UA-US merger, but it seems far more likely.
I'm not so sure. Tilton wanted out. The merger was his golden parachute. Doug would have been happy to stick around and keep running the show.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 9:48 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Hard to say ... I despise CO as an airline (with the implemented "ignore the elites" procedures) but I like their route map much better than US'.

Still, if CO costs us E+, I am out of the whole game. US border transit and CO's boarding procedures is simply too much to take.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:20 am

Programs: Lawl COVID
When airlines merge, passengers lose. It won't matter either way. I'm just glad the awakening was swift and rude.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:37 am

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
I have flown US several times recently and they have come a long way. Planes clean, crew very friendly and helpful, on-time departure and arrival, no luggage problems. I am only flown Y but I have been assigned seats in the front of the cabin. There BOB product has been decent. I am sorry but US bashing needs to stop. My experience in Y on US was five times better than the ones on AA.

I will have my first CO trip in two days.

I would have preferred UA merged with US. Serves my travel needs better. If the new blankets are any indication of the best in UACO, we will be hurting or freezing. Even the change in CR1 for 1Ks is not a hopefully sign. No Premier Associates this year until 125,000 miles. A couple of years ago it was I believe 75,000. Yes, Jeff is making us elites feel real committed.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:45 am

Programs: DL (MM), UA(MM) , AA(MM) , Bonvoy - LT Titanium
Originally Posted by sbm12
I'm not so sure. Tilton wanted out. The merger was his golden parachute. Doug would have been happy to stick around and keep running the show.
I agree. jeff and company would never had agreed if he didn't get the top spot. Parker may have kept more UA Mgmt on vs. What jeff is likely to do. It probably feels like a reverse merger to folks at WHQ.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by santarosaflyer
I have flown US several times recently and they have come a long way. Planes clean, crew very friendly and helpful, on-time departure and arrival, no luggage problems. I am only flown Y but I have been assigned seats in the front of the cabin. There BOB product has been decent. I am sorry but US bashing needs to stop. My experience in Y on US was five times better than the ones on AA.
I think the US bashing will stop only when the airline stops on its elites (such as the never-ending Choice seat fiasco). Even with US status, in order to sit "in the front of the cabin" (assuming you mean Economy) you have to pay extra. Doug P thinks all airlines will do this eventually - we'll see.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 18, 2010 at 11:49 am Reason: language
Old Dec 18, 2010, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
My exposure to US were also exclusively positive. Especially conflict resolution is implemented much better than @ UA.

But having said this, the following argument is a grand one:
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I think the US bashing will stop only when the airline stops on its elites (such as the never-ending Choice seat fiasco). Even with US status, in order to sit "in the front of the cabin" (assuming you mean Economy) you have to pay extra. Doug P thinks all airlines will do this eventually - we'll see.
What I miss most when I have to fly in Oz or in the EU is that the airlines offer no elite segregation. Nothing is more enervating than flying next to nervous newbies who have high expectations in the ride in the skies.

Next to the mere space, this is the biggest plus of E+ ... and when it disappears, UA is nothing but a mediocre (or then bad) airline on which the upgrades won't clear.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by santarosaflyer
I agree with the above. I've flown with US several times over about the last three years. I've had pretty good experiences. They lost my bag once transiting in PHL, but I got it back within 12 hours. Bought the cheese/fruit plane on the way back from PUJ in Jan, and I was actually very impressed.

Even if alliances weren't involved, I'd fly US again over AA, and especially over DL, anyday.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 2:51 pm
Suspended

As for UA/US, Parker I believe said in an interview he would step down in the event of a merger and let Tilton and UA management run the show. Everyone says Tilton wanted out, yet he stayed at UA for over 8 years and is still here today. His "golden parachute" is also dependant on how well the airline does in the next two years.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 18, 2010 at 4:42 pm Reason: response to deleted post
Old Dec 18, 2010, 3:05 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
While I agree that Parker & Co. created new terms (Choice seats, Preferred seats, etc.) to confuse everyone, including elites. However, exit row seats are still free to US elites & sometimes *Gs. I do realize exit row seats are limited, but it's no different on CO in the absence of E+. Call me crazy, but I actually prefer US over CO, especially when I pretty much have little to no chance of upgrading on CO anyways.

LAX
Old Dec 18, 2010, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
I don't understand the title of this thread.... at all.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by UNITED959
I know the knee-jerk reaction is, "are you on crack," but hear me out.

Most folks feel that UA was well on its way towards the right track to recovery prior to any CO merger.

They trimmed the fat, installed (are installing) a very competitive hard product in their international fleet, offered E+, and had a frequent flyer program that satisfied most.

Upon hearing the news, my only real excitement for the UACO merger was hearing about the purported opportunity for UA's balance sheet. From a customer perspective, it didn't do anything for me.

And I admit, the initial thought of a US merger made me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

However, had UA merged with US, we wouldn't constantly hear from Jeff about the merger of equals. Phooey, I'm tired of hearing that, if CO were so great on its own, then why did Jeff entertain the merger to being with? You're either with the merger or you're not.

This attitude has clearly come across in the limited merger communication we've received, and it seems the changes we've seen thus far have been pushed by the CO crowd, and ever increasingly I'm thinking an airline rename to "Jeff's Airline" or something similar is appropriate.

As a customer, there hasn't been one change I have found to be "something I'm going to like." Granted, the changes have been minimal and it takes time, but increasingly I'm doubting the hyperbole of "we're combining the best of both airlines" when in reality, it's CO with the UA name.

UA merging with US would bring a nice fleet of Airbus narrowbodies and some nicely placed hubs, and I feel that UA would have definitely had the upper hand in the merger instead of the "peeing" contest that's resulted from the CO/UA merger. Also, the frequent flyer program would probably not be altered as much.

Selfish? Maybe. But I'm quickly losing interest in the UACO merger because I'm sick of reading "how we did it at CO" or "CO did XYZ," and it just feels like there is no enthusiasm in working together, rather it's trying to show whose [you know what] is bigger.

The stirring uncertainty has me wondering who I should start collecting miles with come Jan 1, 2011.
The UA-CO merger is done, and UACO is on the way to a single certificate.

Either get used to it, or take your business elsewhere.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by LAX
While I agree that Parker & Co. created new terms (Choice seats, Preferred seats, etc.) to confuse everyone, including elites. However, exit row seats are still free to US elites & sometimes *Gs. I do realize exit row seats are limited, but it's no different on CO in the absence of E+. Call me crazy, but I actually prefer US over CO, especially when I pretty much have little to no chance of upgrading on CO anyways.
I am thinking long and hard about where to accrue my miles in 2011. A work college indicated he is regularly upgraded on US as silver elite, even on hub routes like BOS-PHL and BOS-CLT.

Would gold elite on a smaller airline be the way to go?

SunLover

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.