Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Headline: WSJ: US Airways Bd Decided To Discontinue Merger Talks With United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Headline: WSJ: US Airways Bd Decided To Discontinue Merger Talks With United

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2010, 12:57 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by JGill
I will go with #1. While at first the idea sounded good, the elite perqs are just too different. Shall I say, non-existent with US. I am UA 1K and US GP, and I have altered my fliying over the last year to fly more on UA. US has reduced the F-class seating in 757 from 7 rows to 2, and now is charging elites for "choice seating" on an RJ (there is no choice seating).
Just to correct a bit of mis-information...

USAirways now has 2 757 configurations... The "West" airplanes are configured with 14 domestic F seats, and are used primarily for service between PHX and Hawaii. The "East" 757s are configured with 12 International Envoy seats, and used primarily for European service. The 8 F seat 757s are no more, each having either been retired or converted to 12J.

While on the topic of small F cabins, I'll point out that United has chosen to configure it's A319s with 1/3 fewer F seats than USAirways (8 vs. 12), and the A319 fleet is the single largest fleet type at USAirways.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 1:15 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
I was hoping this would happen

OK, for selfish reasons. I fly out of PHL and in my dreams the UA presence would increase dramatically. I was also hoping for flights out of PHL to Asia (US has route but no planes that can make it). This way I could stop traveling to Newark. OK a little far fetched but we can dream.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Agreed with most here. Thank god UA is not merging with US.

I flew on US several times in the last two years, I didn't enjoy those experience.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL status lost across the board.
US Airways and United were within days of announcing an agreement before United’s conversations with Continental were disclosed last week, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the details were private.
EEK!

LINK

Originally Posted by bseller
Alternatively, you could simply hit this LINK. (Be aware!! OMNI alert!! )

The overall effect would be the same and you don't even need a hot poker!!
Dave
Peace does take brains Dave. I don't see what the problem is.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Time to pop open the champagne for the third time.........
Old Apr 22, 2010, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Yeehaw!

Isn't UA one of the only carriers left that has grown (well, until recent times) organically versus merger and acquisition?

Hope they focus now on improving operations and service versus cutting big-money deals. At least they can control their destiny even if they have to merge later on.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 4:30 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Originally Posted by RodeoLinebacker
Isn't UA one of the only carriers left that has grown (well, until recent times) organically versus merger and acquisition?
The name "United" refers to having united many small airmail carriers back in the early days of airlines. I think the last big purchases were the SFO, NRT, LHR, and Miami-Latin America (remember that?) operations bought from Pan Am from 1985-1992. Since then, seems like the domestic network's mostly been shrinking (besides building up LAX and fortifying IAD). In not-quite-recent times, the other network carriers have been much busier with M&As: Delta bought NW, AA bought TW, US was bought by America West, etc.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 4:49 pm

Programs: United 1K (3MM) and RCC, elite levels for most hotel and car programs
IMHO --

UA would be so much better off focusing on better definition of its product in the US and internationally, building around 2-3 hubs each on the east and west coasts and two midcontinent with newer, efficient 3-cabin aircraft and UX routes with RJs to dozens of feeder markets. Have those of us who are business flyers choose higher fares most of the time so we fly in C and don't grimace about being packed in with leisure travelers who are price sensitive to the extreme. Drop the merger thinking. Mergers are exhausting in overcoming cultural and operational differences and reducing overlaps -- with most available targets, UA would "grow" by less than 50% of the partner's load once duplication of routes and consolidation occurs.

UA once boasted reaching all 50 states -- and then started retreating because 8-10 states don't work well with UA metal.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by emma dog
.. aside from the DL/CO merger, how many other mergers have truly been successful?
Did I miss something? When did DL and CO merge?
Old Apr 22, 2010, 7:03 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Whew!!! What a relief; I hate US Air.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DJ, QF, SQ, SPG.
Clearly UA and MP ppl are happy, but what are the ones on the US side thinking now??
Old Apr 22, 2010, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by balderdash
So do you think this was the plan all along to get Continental more seriously talking again?

Last edited by Centurion; May 19, 2010 at 2:53 pm Reason: personal information removed
Old Apr 22, 2010, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Thank goodness. Now hopefully the CO merger also fails.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 8:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
Whew!!! What a relief; I hate US Air.
Hate is such a strong word so I'll just say I dislike US. Reading this thread was a relief, especiallly since the two sides were reportedly close to doing a deal.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by tcook052
reportedly close to doing a deal.
reported by an unnamed source...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.