Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Jul 22: UA 800 NRT-JFK diverted to ORD - why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jul 22: UA 800 NRT-JFK diverted to ORD - why?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2003, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by worldtrav:
This reminds me of the time I was on a 777 from DEN to ORD and we had to land at MKE, quite a sight next to the UAX planes </font>
This also reminds me of a flight from SFO-HKG a few years ago on a 747-400. There were two typhoons in the South East China area: one in Hong Kong and one in Taiwan. The plane was diverted to Okinawa of all places...still could not believe why UA did not land the plane in one of Japan's bigger cities.

We were sitting in the plane for over 8 hours.. could not get out of the plane, and no additional food.

I wish someone on the ground had taken a picture of this 747-400 parked amongst all those military aircrafts with Pacific Ocean in the background. Must be a quite a site... but hell for the passengers inside of the plane.

Old Jul 23, 2003, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by studentff:
Being even more geeky . . .

Isn't there a website somewhere that will give the tail number for a given flight on a certain day (in addition to arrival/departure info)?

I seem to remember such a site but couldn't find the link in the archives.
</font>
I think you're looking for this:

http://www.bts.gov/ntda/oai/DetailedStatistics/

Old Jul 23, 2003, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UNITED959:

</font>
I think this only has domestic flight info.
Old Jul 23, 2003, 2:03 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UNITED959:

</font>
Yes.

Thank you! This info allows me to ask a question which has been nagging me for a while and which I will post in it's own thread.

[This message has been edited by studentff (edited 07-23-2003).]
Old Jul 23, 2003, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UA_Flyer:
This also reminds me of a flight from SFO-HKG a few years ago on a 747-400. There were two typhoons in the South East China area: one in Hong Kong and one in Taiwan. The plane was diverted to Okinawa of all places...still could not believe why UA did not land the plane in one of Japan's bigger cities.

We were sitting in the plane for over 8 hours.. could not get out of the plane, and no additional food.

I wish someone on the ground had taken a picture of this 747-400 parked amongst all those military aircrafts with Pacific Ocean in the background. Must be a quite a site... but hell for the passengers inside of the plane.

</font>
As we speak, a typhoon is hitting HKG and UA 837 NRT-HKG landing on July 22 was delayed till the next day, forcing a six hour delay for the return UA 838 HKG-NRT, and by the time the folks on 838 arrive in NRT (8pm) all the connecting flights to the States would have departed. Hmm.

It is strange how they pre-emptively cancelled this flight, along with NW 17 NRT-HKG. THere were only a dozen flights cancelled yesterday evening. At 10pm or so a CX plane flew as usual TPE-HKG, yet UA grounded its flight half a day before the typhoon even got close.

------------------
When once you have experienced being a 1K, you will forever fly the friendly skies with your eyes set on 100% mileage bonus and SWUs, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return, every year!
Old Jul 23, 2003, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by *HighFlyah*:
As we speak, a typhoon is hitting HKG and UA 837 NRT-HKG landing on July 22 was delayed till the next day, forcing a six hour delay for the return UA 838 HKG-NRT, and by the time the folks on 838 arrive in NRT (8pm) all the connecting flights to the States would have departed. Hmm.

It is strange how they pre-emptively cancelled this flight, along with NW 17 NRT-HKG. THere were only a dozen flights cancelled yesterday evening. At 10pm or so a CX plane flew as usual TPE-HKG, yet UA grounded its flight half a day before the typhoon even got close.

</font>
Gosh, I'll be able to rest tonight knowing this information.

Old Jul 23, 2003, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by worldtrav:
(UA422) does continue to LHR, the flight number changes to UA906.</font>
Weird. I distinctly remember the Purser telling everyone to disembark because the plane was not continuing on to LHR. Maybe she was confused.
Old Jul 23, 2003, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Gosh, I'll be able to rest tonight knowing this information.

</font>
As someone who claims to like the operational side of flight movements, I find it interesting that YOU don't find this in the least bit interesting.

Oh wait, wasn't it you who likes to visit flytecomm.com?

------------------
When once you have experienced being a 1K, you will forever fly the friendly skies with your eyes set on 100% mileage bonus and SWUs, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return, every year!
Old Jul 23, 2003, 11:32 pm
Liz

Programs: MP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SEA_Tigger:
Weird. I distinctly remember the Purser telling everyone to disembark because the plane was not continuing on to LHR. Maybe she was confused. </font>
Not weird at all. The plane had to be thoroughly searched, cleaned and catered, and the f/a's would not be on board for quite awhile, they need to be there or no pax can remain on board. They can't do a "thru" with pax onboard for int'l. anyway, only domestic. Need to check passports, blah blah. It used to be that the 777 came from DEN, now it just goes back again after arriving in EWR.

Back to the NRT-JFK flight...

There are many good reasons to go to ORD instead of Harrisburg PA. One is the illegal f/a's and ORD being a domicile they can recrew. Having the resources at ORD, it is a much better place to be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.