Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

"unsupported refund" charge on credit card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2003, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN RR, UA M+, Hilton, Marriott

I booked (but did not fly) a flight between COS and Grand Rapids, MI in May. I told my travel agent that I needed a fully refundable ticket because I was not sure if I would actually go (I didn't). In June, I subsequently called UAL and asked that my card be credited. They did. Later in June, another charge for the full amount of the ticket showed up on my card again with a transaction description of "unsupported refund" My card issuer has issued a credit for the amount while it investigates, but I'm perplexed as to what might have transpired. If my travel agent had booked a nonrefundable by mistake, I would have thought that UAL never would have issued the refund in the first place. If UAL's records indicate that the agent booked a nonrefundable, I can take up the issue with the agent, but I have never heard of an airline issuing a credit for a ticket and then later applying a charge for an "unsupported refund" to a customer's card. Anyone want to shed some light on what may have transpired?

------------------
AA Platinum, Marriott Silver
Old Jul 23, 2003, 1:26 pm

Location: 1 hour from Khao Yai, Thailand. No longer Bangkok, China, Taiwan , Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Only time I have seen this is when the Travel Agent or Res Agent does you a "favor" by giving you a lower fare than the refundable fare, without first checking all the rules. I had this happen to me on an AA ticket I bought for my son. I had an expiring AA vouchure and used it for what I was told was a fully refundable ticket. He did not fly and when I went to refund the ticket (to a vouchure only of course,) was told what the res agent did was give the lower fare. They straightened it out and corrected the "favor," err mistake.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.