Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "No International Award Space Throughout the Year" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "No International Award Space Throughout the Year" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2010, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
If there are seats, there are Standard Awards. If it's not showing any, it's a bug on the web site. Time to fall back to the phone...
Or, United may not just fly the route anymore :-).

United is selling seats on HKG-NRT on a highly circuitous overnight connection via SIN, but the itinerary is defaulting to IATA Y/C fares, meaning United probably doesn't intend to do it that way.

I can only imagine that UA-metal award seats are not meant to be booked on such an itinerary. OP will have to try for a partner airline award. As mentioned farther up in the consolidated thread the Chinese carriers tend to have many connections, if NH itself isn't available.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 9:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite; SPG Platinum
Question 4 open F seats on 7/21 flight - any chance of award availability in next two days?

I have an award booking on July 21, flying ORD-AMS in F on a 777.

Since I would like to try out UA's new international F product, I want to switch my routing to ORD-BRU (a 763 flight). There are four F seats available, but no F award seats.

What are the chances of an F award seat opening up in the next two days?
Old Jul 18, 2010, 9:50 pm

If you are using UA miles you can have it waitlisted.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:04 pm

Alas, I am not using UA miles.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:41 pm

Not necessarily. Are you looking at the seat map or do you see 4 available F seats for sale? They will not open F award space if C is oversold, but may still be willing to sell a F-seat for cash if they can get it.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by denverhockeyguy
Are you looking at the seat map or do you see 4 available F seats for sale?
The flight is F4. The flight is also NF1, so there's a chance they might open up XF at some point.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I'm surprised nobody else mentioned this, but there are only two reconfigured 777s in service at the moment. The seatmap shows 11 F seats, the configuration of old 777s, not new ones. Even if it showed the new seat map there is a decent chance it could get swapped with an old 777.

Stick with the BRU flight, you're definitely getting a new-config biz class which is lie flat since the 767s are all reconfigured.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Clarkcc1
I'm surprised nobody else mentioned this, but there are only two reconfigured 777s in service at the moment. The seatmap shows 11 F seats, the configuration of old 777s, not new ones. Even if it showed the new seat map there is a decent chance it could get swapped with an old 777.

Stick with the BRU flight, you're definitely getting a new-config biz class which is lie flat since the 767s are all reconfigured.
The problem is that I have the AMS flight on the old 777; I want the BRU flight on the 767.

Or are you meaning to suggest that business class on the 767 will be superior to first on the 777?

Last edited by countmookle; Jul 18, 2010 at 11:26 pm
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:54 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Looking for tips on LAX to MUC for Xmas and New Years

I've talked with United about getting into business class, but there isn't anything available. I need to be in Munich on Dec. 20 and back to work by Jan 5. I'm looking for suggestions. I've tried two days before and after departure and arrivals.
What can I try next?
Martin
Old Jul 20, 2010, 1:11 am

Programs: UA 1K
I'm assuming you're booking a reward ticket and not looking to buy a revenue ticket and upgrade it.

Try Star Alliance awards. According to the ANA tool, there's at least one business-class seat on the 12/21 SFO-MUC and at least one seat on the 1/4 and 1/5 MUC-SFO, both nonstop Lufthansa flights.

Assuming there's no "Starnet blocking", it should be straightforward to book an itinerary like:

12/21 UA798 LAX-SFO 18:00-19:13 [coach], connecting to
12/21 LH459 SFO-MUC 21:05-17:25 [business class]

1/5 LH458 MUC-SFO 16:05-19:15 [business class], connecting to
1/5 UA565 SFO-LAX 21:30-23:01 [coach]

and then be sure to be waitlisted for an upgrade on the short domestic segments.

Apologies if I've misunderstood you and you're looking to buy a ticket for $$ and confirm an upgrade right away -- that's an entirely different kind of flying altogether.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Are you also willing to spring for F? Are you willing to make more than one connection?
Old Jul 24, 2010, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA IK, HGP Diamond, AA, KF, Hhonnors Gold, Carlson Gold, PC Plat, Accor Gold
Zero Domestic F or Asia C or F Award

I was trying to get F award to Asia and able to get ANA F and OZ F over the water but i could not find any F award regionally. The only Carrier with F class from NRT to SIN is either United or SQ. As you may know getting SQ F these days are pretty hopeless even within Asia, I also found out that United has zeroed out the F award from NRT to SIN for the next 330 days.

For domestic F award, United has also zeroed out domestic F award SFO-LAX or SFO-SEA.

Does anyone know what is going on here? Does the Domestic F award is affected by unlimited Domestic Upgrade?

Also do we know why there is no F or C award interasia anymore?

J
Old Jul 24, 2010, 10:48 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
I think the issue in Asia, is that there just not that many *A carriers w/ F service in Asia. My suggestion is to book C and as a 1K keep looking till the F pops up, which it may or may not as your trip gets closer. I compare the lack of 3 class service in the US to be the same as the lack of 3 class service intra Asia (at least on *A).
Old Jul 24, 2010, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA IK, HGP Diamond, AA, KF, Hhonnors Gold, Carlson Gold, PC Plat, Accor Gold
Yeah, I booked C with Ar Japan for now as part of ANA. But I was looking at availability from today to the next 6 months in ANA tool and UA has zero availability on both F and C.

wish me luck.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 9:32 am

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jowo
I was trying to get F award to Asia and able to get ANA F and OZ F over the water but i could not find any F award regionally. The only Carrier with F class from NRT to SIN is either United or SQ. As you may know getting SQ F these days are pretty hopeless even within Asia, I also found out that United has zeroed out the F award from NRT to SIN for the next 330 days.
If you were able to get ANA F award using UA miles, you should consider yourself extremely lucky. Who cares if you can't get regional F while over in Asia? For your onward flight to SIN, assuming that's where you're heading, if the "worst" case now is that you're booked in C, then that's nothing to complain about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.