Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "No International Award Space Throughout the Year" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "No International Award Space Throughout the Year" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2010, 9:31 am

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Originally Posted by Downunder girl
Hope its ok to tag onto this thread

I am hoping to get award space in F SYD-SIN-LHR (or CDG) for two people in April 2011.

I was hoping to try SQ but it appears that you cannot book award seats using UA miles on either the A380 or the 773 ER, only on the 773W. Of course once you get to SIN there is no way to get the older 773W because they do not fly them to either LHR or CDG (my final destination).

I would consider doing it on UA metal but for an F award via the USA, its going to cost far too much.

Anyone have any ideas on what I should do please? I am a total newbie when it comes to booking award travel .
DG, did you look for availability on European carriers? If everything else fails you should be able to redeem on EK using UA miles - not sure how much you'd need though.
Old May 21, 2010, 9:35 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Hope its ok to tag onto this thread

I am hoping to get award space in F SYD-SIN-LHR (or CDG) for two people in April 2011.

I was hoping to try SQ but it appears that you cannot book award seats using UA miles on either the A380 or the 773 ER, only on the 773W. Of course once you get to SIN there is no way to get the older 773W because they do not fly them to either LHR or CDG (my final destination).

I would consider doing it on UA metal but for an F award via the USA, its going to cost far too much.

Anyone have any ideas on what I should do please? I am a total newbie when it comes to booking award travel .
TG to S Asia and then TK and/or LH on to Europe may be viable options for you.

There are people who charge for award booking assistance and you may find such services to be appealing. Personally, given all the resources and expertise within the Flyertalk community, you may find it relatively easy to put something together yourself if you have some flexibility and know where to look.

Feel free to follow-up via PM.
Old May 21, 2010, 10:14 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by work2fly
TG to S Asia and then TK and/or LH on to Europe may be viable options for you.

There are people who charge for award booking assistance and you may find such services to be appealing. Personally, given all the resources and expertise within the Flyertalk community, you may find it relatively easy to put something together yourself if you have some flexibility and know where to look.

Feel free to follow-up via PM.
Thank you

I remember we met a few years ago at goalie's dinner in SFO.

Sorry but what airline is TK ?

Todo: I kinda had my heart set on SQ F but clearly I will need to think of other alternatives since that door is shut

Last edited by Downunder girl; May 21, 2010 at 10:20 am
Old May 21, 2010, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Sorry but what airline is TK ?
Turkish.
Dave
Old May 27, 2010, 6:15 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold
Question UA Saver Awards for Biz and 1st

Now that I have achieved Premier Ex and over 400K miles I thought time to book award travel and knew I needed look well in advance...so I looked and see that to MEL, SYD, FRA, LHR, AMS there are ZERO 1st class seats in Saver and very few in Standard. I even called too because I thought there was an error in the web display. How can there be ZERO seat between now and April 2011 to MEL or SYD? What has UA done?
Old May 27, 2010, 6:48 pm

How about SIN next March? It has some present availability & its a great city. Wait a couple of months and SYD availability for next June & July will show up, although that is Oz "Winter." But you have to act fast for these tickets.
Old May 27, 2010, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by larry87120
Now that I have achieved Premier Ex and over 400K miles I thought time to book award travel and knew I needed look well in advance...so I looked and see that to MEL, SYD, FRA, LHR, AMS there are ZERO 1st class seats in Saver and very few in Standard. I even called too because I thought there was an error in the web display. How can there be ZERO seat between now and April 2011 to MEL or SYD? What has UA done?
Wow, 2011 and now saver seats...I thought booking award travel several several months in advance was the only way to get saver seats.
Old May 27, 2010, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
forget trying to fly on united. call an agent and have them check air new zealand for you. You even get a free stopover in new zealand that way! Just think of united as a good way to get into star alliance carriers. good luck
Old May 27, 2010, 7:36 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, AA Lifetime Gold
Something is hinky in your searches. Premium saver awards are always hard to find to Australia but Standard Awards were available on all the dates I checked. Standard awards are not inventory controlled so if there is space in F or C, you should be able to get a Standard award.

That said, 400K doesn't go far using Standard awards given that a C awards in Standard is 270K miles and an F award is 320K.

Limit your searches to LAX-SYD and SFO-SYD. If you can find that segment, you may be able to get a Y award for SYD-MEL and waitlist for the premium cabin. If you search for F on LAX-MEL, you'll only see it when an F seat is available for both segments.

Finding two tickets is much tougher than finding one. If you can find one, you might want to consider taking it and either using miles+dollars to upgrade a purchased ticket on the same flight or using a standard award for the other ticket. For example, there are single seats available in C on SFO-SYD a couple of days in March and single seats for some return dates in April. A saver plus a standard is 405K so that would work. Or go some place like SIN where it's easier to find award space.

As suggested, Star Alliance is another option although Air New Zealand is a tough award to find as well.

Last edited by tannebil; May 27, 2010 at 7:43 pm
Old May 30, 2010, 7:50 am

Help!! Air New Zealand Biz award HKG-AKL

Hi All,

I am trying to get an award tix on the non-stop from HKG-AKL. I looked for various dates in Oct, Dec, Feb and even in April 11 and it looks like there is practically nothing available for any day at all between these two location on Air New Zealand non-stop.

Have any of you guys had any luck in the past on redeeming it?

Even on connections through SQ or something, practically nothing is coming up. There seems to be some Y seats available, but I really want to C.

Ideally, i want to go to Fiji...but I am not even able to get to AKL. I don't mind paying that portion, but the HKG-AKL part is almost impossible.

Anyone have any tips on how to work through this? Appreciate your response.

Thanks
UALFLYER1
Old May 30, 2010, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by UALFLYER1
Hi All,

I am trying to get an award tix on the non-stop from HKG-AKL. I looked for various dates in Oct, Dec, Feb and even in April 11 and it looks like there is practically nothing available for any day at all between these two location on Air New Zealand non-stop.

Have any of you guys had any luck in the past on redeeming it?

Even on connections through SQ or something, practically nothing is coming up. There seems to be some Y seats available, but I really want to C.

Ideally, i want to go to Fiji...but I am not even able to get to AKL. I don't mind paying that portion, but the HKG-AKL part is almost impossible.

Anyone have any tips on how to work through this? Appreciate your response.

Thanks
UALFLYER1
Have you tried the ANA tool? It's free and it shows you award availability for most Star Alliance partners.
Old May 30, 2010, 8:52 am
formerly Baxter&Bessies'Mama

Last fall I tried to get an award for this fall on NZ Biz US-OZ, eventually I looked at EVERY SINGLE day for the following 300 days. NOTHING, NADA, ZERO. Quite a few Econ here and there, but Biz, nope.
Old May 30, 2010, 10:01 am

I have been having the same problem the last month trying to book West Coast - AKL Air New Zealand Biz Feb. 2011. About to give up.
Old May 30, 2010, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
I have had trouble finding XC or XF space to Europe through August from IAD.

It may be that I am booking in May which is a couple of months out but I dont even see any in August.

Maybe more people are buying C/F or maybe they are planning on opening up more seats as the days come closer.

Finding IAD-LHR used to be easy but with the 4th daily summer flight gone it has become impossible.
Old May 30, 2010, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Benny8444
I have had trouble finding XC or XF space to Europe through August from IAD.

It may be that I am booking in May which is a couple of months out but I dont even see any in August.
There is almost daily availability from IAD to LHR on AC (1 stop) or even TP (2 stops)
Thats only using a quick search on co.com that doesnt cover LX/LH/OS

Aside from it being non-stop, I really dont see any advantages on redeeming your miles on United metal....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.