Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone hope UA is #2 in on-time next year?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2010, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by BigE
+1 Same thing happened to me in Denver in Feb.
A trend then, perhaps? Here's a thought:

This "#1" BS is UA's idea of good press. On the flip side of that is the number of complaints registered against an airline with the DoT here:

http://airconsumer.dot.gov/CP_AirlineService.htm

I propose that every single person who gets left behind by UA in pursuit of this silliness complain loudly here and elsewhere in public and also file a formal complaint w/ the DoT's ACPD above. I have also considered contacting a travel journalist or two. If enough other people post that they too have been left in the dust recently by UA - especially in DEN - I'll do just that.

Edit: Just thought I would post a quote from the above link for those not familiar with the ACPD and their monthly ATCR:

"All complaints are entered in DOT's computerized aviation industry monitoring system, and are charged to the company in question in the monthly Air Travel Consumer Report. This report is distributed to the industry and made available to the news media and the general public so that consumers and air travel companies can compare the complaint records of individual airlines and tour operators. These complaints are reviewed to determine the extent to which carriers are in compliance with federal aviation consumer protection regulations. This system also serves as a basis for rulemaking, legislation and research. Where appropriate, letters and web form submissions will be forwarded to an official at the airline for further consideration."

Further edit:

And in reviewing the March report (page 38), UA really can't go any lower than they already have (most complaints per 100,000 enplanements):

http://airconsumer.dot.gov/reports/2...0MarchATCR.pdf

So they're "#1" in the "on-time" category (amongst major US carriers) and they're in the exact same position where garnering complaints from their passengers is concerned. Maybe UA needs to refocus their marketing efforts on being #1 in overall customer service. They might start by ceasing this practice of leaving their passengers stranded in DEN. Just a thought...

Last edited by CCIE_Flyer; Mar 27, 2010 at 1:22 pm
Old Mar 27, 2010, 1:14 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by matti2d
if they get an award for lav cleanliness, will we be bombarded with a "We're #1 in #1" campaign?
UA is more likely to win an award for lav dirtiness, especially in the RCCs.
How about "We're #1 in #2!"

But realistically, if UA is #2 on time next year, they will just rewrite their own criteria (e.g. "among major U.S. legacy carriers with headquarters in Chicago and serving China nonstop from Washington, D.C.") to declare themselves #1 again.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA 2P, DL SM
aluminumdriver, CCIE_Flyer, and BigE, thanks for the replies.

CCIE_Flyer and BigE, I am curious, were you compensated in any way? I just sent my letter through the website to CS. Funny thing is, I've had three far worse issues on UA in the last 6 months or so, but hey, sometimes stuff happens, and the nature of those situations was such that I wasn't compelled to complain. But this deliberate stranding of passengers really burns me up, and I'm bothered that it seems to be very common.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 3:10 am
Suspended

Unbelievable. UA was practically dead last for on-time arrivals in 2008 and you guys complained. Then they had a HUGE 180 for 2009 and you still want to complain! DL likes to brag about everything they do and everyone goes "yeah DL, I <3 you" or "widgethead forever!!!!11!!", or "The DL livery is awesome and DL will take over the world!!", but god forbid United have any pride in themselves.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 3:54 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by UAWes
I misconnected last week due to a flight that left well before it's scheduled departure time, and was stuck in Denver for four or five hours. But man, was that plane on time! Small consolation if you're not on it... I wondered at the time if the whole "#1 on time" obsession was driving the decision to leave me and at least one other guy behind.
+1
My flight from EWR to DEN was late and the flight from DEN to MCI left early.
When I arrived the gate, it still showed "final boarding".
But the door had been closed.
The monitor became flight closed few minutes later.

That flight was oversold.
They saved money by doing this.
In addition, they claimed that they off load me 10 minutes before departure.
But, I got a message that I was rebooked 40 minutes before the DEN-MCI flight departed.

The next flight was 11 hours later.....
I had to overnight there and missed meeting next day.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 6:49 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by pigx5
+1
My flight from EWR to DEN was late and the flight from DEN to MCI left early.
When I arrived the gate, it still showed "final boarding".
But the door had been closed.
The monitor became flight closed few minutes later.

That flight was oversold.
They saved money by doing this.
In addition, they claimed that they off load me 10 minutes before departure.
But, I got a message that I was rebooked 40 minutes before the DEN-MCI flight departed.

The next flight was 11 hours later.....
I had to overnight there and missed meeting next day.
You were rebooked by "ez-rebook", an automated system that based on your ETA rebooks you without human intervention. It does NOT offload you at that time, that is done manually by the gate agents. How many people have gotten messages they were rebooked, get to the original gate on time, and are able o board with the original BP? There is no correlation between auto-rebook and offloading.

The other option for not having the automated system is to wait until you misconnect, then try to get rebooked, and find out the next flight is already full, or waste time (sometimes precious) to get rebooked after you have missed the flight. If you make the original flight, the computer (ez-restore) then cncls the later reservation after the 1st flight takes off with you on it. Often what happens is the ETA of a flight is very late, but the inbound aircraft beats the ETA, and you are already rebooked for later...but still make the original flight. There is no harm in this situation, just extra insurance in case the planned ETA is accurate.

Your argument doesn't hold water trying to make a correlation that doesn't exist.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 8:16 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
In my eyes, United already is #2...know what I mean?

(Line lifted from Murder By Death)

Lionel Twain: I'm the greatest, I'm number one!
Sam Diamond: To me, you look like number two, know what I mean?
Dora Charleston: What DOES he mean, Miss Skeffington?
Tess Skeffington: I'll tell you later. It's disgusting.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 9:07 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by UAWes
CCIE_Flyer and BigE, I am curious, were you compensated in any way?
I wouldn't exactly call it compensation. It worked out to less than 1,000 miles per hour spent @ DEN. Please consider complaining both directly to UA and also to DoT. Clearly DEN has a problem in need of correcting.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 3:19 pm
axl

Originally Posted by as219
No kidding. I have an upcoming JFK-SFO flight blocked at 6:56.
Apparently JFK has some serious airfield work that is about to start (if it hasn't already) that will add lots of taxi time for departure.

As far as padding the times....I agree. If it makes the airline run smoother and helps lower misconnects it just might be necessary. It does add a significant cost to the operation since most crews are paid by block time and it adds time to the airframes. The cost is certainly a disadvantage to UAL, but since they seem unable to increase the efficiency of the operation any other way this is what we get.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 3:20 pm
axl

Originally Posted by ckaught78
Another factor in their increase in on-time performance is that there are less travelers, fewer bags to load, and fewer planes in the air. I would expect that most airlines saw an increase in their on-time performance.
Don't forget that there are fewer employees as well.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA 2P, DL SM
Got a $150 e-cert in response to my letter today.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 6:44 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by Asuka
Not complain, but I often hope the connecting flight from JFK-LAX is delayed so I get an extra day in LAX before connecting to SYD/MEL.

What else can I do, tell the boss I'll be a day late and I get an extra day in LA hotel provided

Some people might like delays when it's in their best interest.

I "pad" my connection schedule prior to departing for SYD just so this DOESNT happen, usually because I dont want to lose my upgrades. Maybe I should look at it your way though (more vacation time) .

I think its great UA have been trying to improve on this. I have NOT seen the ads so it doesnt bother me.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 8:05 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
This bit of BS promoted by UA is NOT going to get them any more market share.
What would help UA would be if someday they could advertise:

"United is rated #1 in customer service among ALL US airlines according to the latest J.D. Power survey."

I am sure all of us will be dead before that ever happens.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UAL awesome
Unbelievable. UA was practically dead last for on-time arrivals in 2008 and you guys complained. Then they had a HUGE 180 for 2009 and you still want to complain! DL likes to brag about everything they do and everyone goes "yeah DL, I <3 you" or "widgethead forever!!!!11!!", or "The DL livery is awesome and DL will take over the world!!", but god forbid United have any pride in themselves.
^
Old Mar 31, 2010, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by DCBob
This bit of BS promoted by UA is NOT going to get them any more market share.
What would help UA would be if someday they could advertise:

"United is rated #1 in customer service among ALL US airlines according to the latest J.D. Power survey."

I am sure all of us will be dead before that ever happens.
Based on the crazy complaints about everything under the sun I see posted here, I'll be dead before that ever happens as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.