Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

"I hope the FAA isn't on this flight, or I would get in lots of trouble" - UA FA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"I hope the FAA isn't on this flight, or I would get in lots of trouble" - UA FA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2010, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold

This was said by a flight attendant (the purser) yesterday just before take off. ...?

She was referring to the fact that people in economy couldn't fit their bags in the overheads, so she jam packed a bunch of roller-boards into the first class closet of an A319. Not sure if this is an actual FAA regulation or not, but scary none the less.

FAA wasn't on the flight to my knowledge, but this flyertalker was, what say you? Next steps? Worth my time?
Old Mar 29, 2010, 9:42 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Nobody likes a busy body. A non-event.. let it go.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by 100% Green
This was said by a flight attendant (the purser) yesterday just before take off. ...?

She was referring to the fact that people in economy couldn't fit their bags in the overheads, so she jam packed a bunch of roller-boards into the first class closet of an A319. Not sure if this is an actual FAA regulation or not, but scary none the less.

FAA wasn't on the flight to my knowledge, but this flyertalker was, what say you? Next steps? Worth my time?
It's not a FAA violation, Bags can be stowed in the Closet however most of the time it is a designated Crew location for baggage storage.

I would not pursue this because she did this as a favor to the Y passengers and no one was inconveniced including you...
Old Mar 29, 2010, 9:48 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by usa18dca
It's not a FAA violation, Bags can be stowed in the Closet however most of the time it is a designated Crew location for baggage storage.

I would not pursue this because she did this as a favor to the Y passengers and no one was inconveniced including you...
agreed and besides, i'm sure "others" read f/f and the less information on (imho) a non-event, the better
Old Mar 29, 2010, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Ok, I will not pursue. Thanks for the feedback. This is just one of the many reasons why i love flyertalk.

The only reason I was concerned was because of the pursers comments about the FAA. Then I started thinking if the plane did get an emergency situation, all of those rollerboards could fall out and block the emergency exit...
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by 100% Green
Ok, I will not pursue. Thanks for the feedback. This is just one of the many reasons why i love flyertalk.

The only reason I was concerned was because of the pursers comments about the FAA. Then I started thinking if the plane did get an emergency situation, all of those rollerboards could fall out and block the emergency exit...
Probably just as much of a chance as an overhead opening up and dropping bags on passengers and blocking aisles.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:22 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I wish FA's would read their FAR's and not blame the FAA for things it does not do.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
I like wearing my FAA polo now and then for ..... and giggles...i do consulting for FAA....its pretty funny sometimes
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold

She was probably referring to the fact that they were probably way over the weight limit for the closet.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by JAaronT
She was probably referring to the fact that they were probably way over the weight limit for the closet.
That is possible however the Closets are already given a fixed weight in the W&B for each Aircraft...no different than the carry on weights as well...Each Pax is computed at approximately 150 or 190 depending on Aircraft give or take.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 11:35 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
What about the UX flights where FAs seatbelt luggage into some of the seats? (Or just wedge them in place--that latter has to be a FAA violation.)
Old Mar 29, 2010, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bingo.

That is possible however the Closets are already given a fixed weight in the W&B for each Aircraft...no different than the carry on weights as well...Each Pax is computed at approximately 150 or 190 depending on Aircraft give or take.
Your post does not make sense.

While each "pax is computed at a certain weight" (including hand luggage) for total aircraft weight and balance purposes, each closet / storage area on an aircraft is placarded by the FAA for a certain maximum storage weight based on several factors. These factors include the location of the storage area relative to the aircraft's center of gravity; how thick the storage area's walls and doors are; in which direction the storage area's doors are aligned (laterally, towards the front or back of the aircraft; or sideways, perpendicular to the aisle); and other considerations.

Bottom line: if the contents of a given closet / storage area are above a certain weight as determined by the FAA considering a variety of factors, the FARs have been violated. This is so even if the total weight of the aircraft (including passengers and their baggage) is under limits.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 29, 2010 at 12:33 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 1:18 pm

The closet has a weight limit?
Old Mar 29, 2010, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
The closet has a weight limit?
Yes.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Nobody likes a busy body. A non-event.. let it go.
So much for letting it go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.