Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

February 2010 East Coast Snowstorms and Impact to UA's Operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

February 2010 East Coast Snowstorms and Impact to UA's Operations

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2010, 12:55 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The current warnings are:

TIMING...SNOW WILL BEGIN MID-MORNING FRIDAY...AND WILL CONTINUE THROUGH SATURDAY EVENING. CONDITIONS WILL DETERIORATE RAPIDLY FRIDAY AFTERNOON...WITH HEAVIEST SNOWFALL OCCURRING BETWEEN SUNSET FRIDAY TO SUNRISE SATURDAY. THE MOST HAZARDOUS WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS WILL OCCUR FRIDAY NIGHT.

So right now I don't think one day is better then the other. If you could move to Friday then you have the possibility of going out on Saturday if you can't get out on Friday, but until it gets here.......nobody knows.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
So far, Saturday cancellations from IAD seem very selective - some examples -

SEA - all 3 nonstops cancelled
PDX - not cancelled
SFO - only 187 and 217 cancelled
LAX - only 49 cancelled
SAN- only 229 and 231 cancelled
PHX - not cancelled
DEN - 403, 427, 923, and 517 cancelled - 937 and 933 not cancelled
Old Feb 4, 2010, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by crosenbusch
I have a scheduled flight from IAD to AMS on Saturday, 2/6. Does anyone have any predictions on the impact of the snow on Dulles Airport? Will it close? With only one flight per day, is the chance to get out better on Friday or Saturday? If the airport stays open, do international flights tend to run more on schedule than domestic?
If you are that concerned about it, I would call and try to get re-booked on the ORD-AMS flight.

There is ZERO chance that IAD-AMS will be going out Friday night. UA946 (IAD-AMS) on 2/5 has already been cancelled (according to ual.com).

Note that the Friday evening IAD-LHR flights have also been canceled. IAD-FRA has also been canceled on Friday.

Regarding Saturday. It appears that all the Saturday evening Trans-Atlantic flights are still on schedule (not canceled). Many of the 3-class 767 and 777 aircraft that operate the Trans-Atlantic flights are still scheduled to arrive into IAD on Saturday evening. So, as long as the aircraft can make it to IAD on Saturday (early evening), the late evening Trans-Atlantic departures should be okay.

Of course, if the snow-storm lingers (continues intense snowfall into Saturday afternoon/evening) and the inbound 3-class aircraft can't make it to IAD, all bets are off.

Also note that currently the National Weather Service's Winter Storm Warning for IAD lasts until 2200 Saturday...
Old Feb 4, 2010, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN, JB, Hilton Honors, Starwood
My Friday afternoon flight to CHS was canceled and was rebooked for an evening flight instead. What is the chance of that flight taking off happening?

Probably zero I am canceling my trip. Do you know if they will refund my credit card, or do I get a flight credit? I was scheduled to return from CHS on Sunday so it really is not worth trying to rebook.

Thanks
ML
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by Mary Louise
My Friday afternoon flight to CHS was canceled and was rebooked for an evening flight instead. What is the chance of that flight taking off happening?

Probably zero I am canceling my trip. Do you know if they will refund my credit card, or do I get a flight credit? I was scheduled to return from CHS on Sunday so it really is not worth trying to rebook.

Thanks
ML
You can get a refund to your card or you can reschedule your trip without a change fee. Good luck!
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:04 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
And for BWI?

Curious (?) that there's been no mention (that I could find) of potential problems ex-BWI. Am booked out of BWI on UA 511(?) BWI-DEN, sched for 2:33pm on Sat, 2/6. Checked .bomb & it lists as a go. Has anyone found any canceled flights ex-BWI between Friday eve & Sat eve?
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
I believe you can also check online with ualcargo, no?
You are right! You just need to know the flight number. Thanks!
http://www.unitedcargo.com/utilities/cp1/fltInfo.jsp
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by BH62
Curious (?) that there's been no mention (that I could find) of potential problems ex-BWI. Am booked out of BWI on UA 511(?) BWI-DEN, sched for 2:33pm on Sat, 2/6. Checked .bomb & it lists as a go. Has anyone found any canceled flights ex-BWI between Friday eve & Sat eve?
UA 511 BWI DEN 06FEB has been cancelled. There is a 5:54 pm connection through ORD that is still operating - UA 473 and UA 959. Also all 3 nonstop flights on 2/7 are still operating.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
18 minutes anticipated wait time on the 1K line now.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:11 pm

I live in WAS and was attempting to fly out on the 12/19 "snowpocalyse" and basically all three airports were shut down over 5-6 inches of snow.

As someone originally from Wisconsin, I can't help but chuckle at Washington's (and the surrounding area's) total lack of any capacity to deal with snow. For anything to be closed down in the Midwest, you basically need 1-2 feet of snow/hour in the early morning before the plows can make their rounds. I had more days off for it being -40 degrees or lower outside than I ever got for snow days when I was young .

In contrast, my sister is a teacher in northern VA and her school system/city was closed on Monday and Tuesday of this week from the 3-4 inches of snow we got on SATURDAY.

It seems as though their method of dealing with any sort of snowfall is to simply shut the city down and wait for the snow to melt .
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by wilp888
18 minutes anticipated wait time on the 1K line now.
Lucky you. I've been on hold with Continental for 30 minutes now waiting to talk to someone. My CO-purchased UA-codeshare has canceled for Saturday and I'm waiting to get my refund.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by BH62
I was ex-BWI on a night flight on 12/19 where we got somewhere between 4-6 inches in D.C. My flight was canceled, however I was automatically rebooked on the same flight the next day and made it out then.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by limitless
I live in WAS and was attempting to fly out on the 12/19 "snowpocalyse" and basically all three airports were shut down over 5-6 inches of snow.

As someone originally from Wisconsin, I can't help but chuckle at Washington's (and the surrounding area's) total lack of any capacity to deal with snow. For anything to be closed down in the Midwest, you basically need 1-2 feet of snow/hour in the early morning before the plows can make their rounds. I had more days off for it being -40 degrees or lower outside than I ever got for snow days when I was young .

In contrast, my sister is a teacher in northern VA and her school system/city was closed on Monday and Tuesday of this week from the 3-4 inches of snow we got on SATURDAY.

It seems as though their method of dealing with any sort of snowfall is to simply shut the city down and wait for the snow to melt .
Maybe it's a matter of cost. If you had 1 or 2 big storms a year, it would not be worth investing in the amount of equipment and personnel needed to keep everything running all the time. It would be rather wasteful government spending. On the other hand, if you have 1 or 2/month, then it is.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by JerryFF
Maybe it's a matter of cost. If you had 1 or 2 big storms a year, it would not be worth investing in the amount of equipment and personnel needed to keep everything running all the time. It would be rather wasteful government spending. On the other hand, if you have 1 or 2/month, then it is.
Oh, I'm sure it is mostly the cost issue... D.C. doesn't have a particularly awesome reputation for managing money well either.

People's reactions are pretty funny for those well acquainted with snow, though. I never in my life saw a person using an umbrella when it was snowing until I moved here.

Also, a trip to the grocery store right now yields scarce shelves as people are literally stockpiling food and water in preparation for the 12 inches we are supposed to get.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:32 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
ex BWI

Originally Posted by JerryFF
UA 511 BWI DEN 06FEB has been cancelled. There is a 5:54 pm connection through ORD that is still operating - UA 473 and UA 959. Also all 3 nonstop flights on 2/7 are still operating.
.bomb says it's cancelled on 2/5, no info for 2/6 ... where did you find this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.