Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

February 2010 East Coast Snowstorms and Impact to UA's Operations

Old Feb 3, 10, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.1MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak S+; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB

Just issued.
Old Feb 3, 10, 1:33 pm

Not another one! We're just getting over the one from last night. And the one from last weekend. And the one from the Christmas holidays.
Old Feb 3, 10, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), SPG/Marriott PP (Ambassador)
people at work at talking about 18-20 inches for DC starting Friday night through most of Saturday.
Old Feb 3, 10, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA Blue, BD*G, UA 3P, VS Silver
Concerns about Possible Delay for UA935 LHR-LAX 6th Feb

Hi All,

Will be flying to LAS through LAX on the 935 this Saturday. Having just noticed the travel waiver for the East Coast, i was just wondering if anyone know which inbound flight to Heathrow becomes the 935 to LAX?

If it is one of the inbound from IAD then I am guessing that there is a strong likelyhood of a delay?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Old Feb 3, 10, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Doing a same-day MR BOS-LAX-IAD-BOS on 2/6. Upgrades cleared on BOS-LAX-IAD (using a single CR-1).

Hopefully, by the time UA847 (LAX-IAD 3-class 772) lands late Sat night, things will have settled down. *fingers crossed*

Besides, its a 3-class 772... its got to be in IAD for an international flight...
Old Feb 3, 10, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), SPG/Marriott PP (Ambassador)
Originally Posted by warreng24 View Post
Doing a same-day MR BOS-LAX-IAD-BOS on 2/6. Upgrades cleared on BOS-LAX-IAD (using a single CR-1).

Hopefully, by the time UA847 (LAX-IAD 3-class 772) lands late Sat night, things will have settled down. *fingers crossed*

Besides, its a 3-class 772... its got to be in IAD for an international flight...
Got my fingers crossed for ya...here's the latest commentary on the weekend weather via TWC.com

"The combined system will head for the Mid-Atlantic States Friday into Friday night bringing snow and a wintry mix to much of the region. The corridor from near Washington, D.C. to near or just south of New York, N.Y. may all see significant snow accumulations with this storm. Snow is expected to continue right into Saturday over the Mid-Atlantic and coastal Northeast. The strengthening area of low pressure will induce gusty winds, particularly along the coast."
Old Feb 3, 10, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I have a flight on Friday on UA metal / CO flight number. Does this travel waiver apply to me? Can UA rebook me if I call? My flight has (obviously) not yet been cancelled.

(IIRC, usually with a code share before departure you'd need to call the marketing carrier -- in this case CO.)
Old Feb 3, 10, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold (1MM), AS MVP
Seems I'll be getting out just in the nick of time -- I'm flying through IAD Thursday afternoon on the way to Europe. I was a casualty of the last one on 12/19.
Old Feb 3, 10, 2:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
"Winter storm watch in effect from Friday morning through saturday evening, The NWS in sterling Virginia has issued a winter storm watch, which is in effect from Friday morning through Saturday evening. Precipitation type, snow. Accumulations, this storm is likely to produce 12 or more inches of snow in the watch area, with a good chance for localized amounts over 20 inches.
Timing, snow is expected to begin late morning Friday, continuing through Saturday evening. Temperatures, highs in the lower to mid 30s Friday. Friday night and Saturday, temperatures will be 25 to 30 degrees. Winds, east 5 to 10 mph Friday and Friday night, becoming north 10 to 20 mph Saturday. Precautionary/preparedness actions, This storm has the potential to be similar to the December 19th storm. Plan for substantial disruptions to travel Friday afternoon through the weekend."

Hrmm, flying to EWR Fri AM, supposed to meet friends driving from BWI in PHL. FML
Old Feb 3, 10, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL, CO, Hilton, SPG
Whoops! Wrong section, meant to post in the Dividend Miles section. Sorry.

Last edited by 4Health; Feb 3, 10 at 2:30 pm
Old Feb 3, 10, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, HH Gold, and SPG Gold
It will be more passenger-friendly if United allows a refund.

Originally Posted by 4Health View Post
So this may make me sound like a travel virgin, but I've honestly never had a flight canceled by weather before. I am supposed to fly out of CLT on Friday at 6pm, but as everyone knows, the website says that:

What are my options if I was supposed to fly out Friday (2/5) and Return Sunday (2/7) and I can't take advantage of either of the options provided because I can't change my travel dates? It's either I go on 2/5 and return on 2/7 or I don't go at all, I can't move my travel dates whatsoever due to work. Do I just have to show up to the airport and have them tell me the flight is canceled and then receive a credit for the amount of the tickets?
      Old Feb 3, 10, 2:31 pm
      FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
      Originally Posted by ajd184 View Post
      Hi All,

Will be flying to LAS through LAX on the 935 this Saturday. Having just noticed the travel waiver for the East Coast, i was just wondering if anyone know which inbound flight to Heathrow becomes the 935 to LAX?

If it is one of the inbound from IAD then I am guessing that there is a strong likelyhood of a delay?

Thanks in advance for any info.
      I don't know which plane it is (777, has to be either LAX, SFO, or IAD), but remember because of the limited number of flights, the internationals usually go, though possibly with a delay. The airport would have to be virtually shut down to cancel most internationals. Also, there are TONS of LAX-LAS flights all day and night, so even a delay should not affect your arrival in Vegas too much.
      Old Feb 3, 10, 2:34 pm
      Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
      do i roll the dice?

same day turn and burn sfo-jfk-sfo on ua6/863 with all u/g's confirmed

ua6 7:16am->3:33pm
      ua863: 5:15pm->9:02pm (same a/c as ua6)

i'm gonna be checking my itins multiple times daily between now and saturday morning but where it is simply a m/r what would you do?
      Old Feb 3, 10, 2:39 pm
      Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
      Afternoon standby for my IAD-CLE E-Fare looks a lot nicer now! I'll be making sure I'm outta DC by 1pm . I too got screwed on the Dec. storm and had a delay last weekend flying out on a MR from IAD (2 hours, still connected OK at ORD)
      Old Feb 3, 10, 2:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
      Originally Posted by goalie View Post
      do i roll the dice?

same day turn and burn sfo-jfk-sfo on ua6/863 with all u/g's confirmed

ua6 7:16am->3:33pm
      ua863: 5:15pm->9:02pm (same a/c as ua6)

i'm gonna be checking my itins multiple times daily between now and saturday morning but where it is simply a m/r what would you do?
      Go, and hope for something to get rebooked into full Y.

Search this Thread
      Search Engine: