Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Can I use my elite benefits for others? (check-in, boarding, etc.) [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I use my elite benefits for others? (check-in, boarding, etc.) [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2011, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Grandkids would not get access as a immediate family member. And neither would their parents (since they would not be considered dependents -- regardless of the reality ). Beleive the policy is immedaite family - spouse and dependent minor childern. (realize the posting was half joking)

Personnally I would not try to bring such a large family group for earlier boarding as the guest of a single elite.
You seem to know my family situation.

You're right about a large group boarding early with one elite flyer. I'm not inclined to do it as well. I'll probably board with four people so that the carryons can be accomodated in the overhead bins.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1P
Can I take a non-FC ticketed friend with me through FC line?

I'm heading to LAX in a few minutes. I'm ticketed in first, but my co-worker is in coach and w/ no status. Can I take him with me through the FC line (or at least the premier line) or will we have to split up? We did not ticket together.

Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2011, 11:12 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If traveling together (same flights), most agents as a courtesy to the premium/elite traveller will be glad to handle the non-premium/non-elite traveling companion

not directed at the OP, but a general note -- as a courtesy to the other premium/elite travellers, please limit this to 1 or 2 companions or immediate family and not bring the entire office
Old Jun 12, 2011, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1P
Thanks for the reply - and the word of caution. I'm certainly not one to abuse the FC line. My co-worker is technically my boss, so while got the UGU, he's stuck in coach (and I'm not about to trade) so wanted to at least make it helpful to both of us.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:57 am

Programs: AA PLT
I'm elite, spouse is not, airport options?

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but in case I am wrong:

My spouse has no status as all on UA and we are travelling together this coming week. Can I bring him with me into the elite security line or will he get kicked down to regular security?
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:58 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but in case I am wrong:

My spouse has no status as all on UA and we are travelling together this coming week. Can I bring him with me into the elite security line or will he get kicked down to regular security?
Bring him along. I've taken my family of 4 through elite security even though my wife and 2 kids aren't elites. No worries.

They can board early with you too. Heck even as a 1P I've followed GS members I've been travelling with through GS services (including the GS security line at ORD) with no issues.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 6:24 pm

Programs: United 2P
Originally Posted by endrond
I think a good rule of thumb is that you should board together if and only if you are seated together.

When I travel with family, we always board together. When I travel with work colleagues, we don't sit together so we don't board together (unless we're in the middle of a conversation while in the gate area, in which case the higher status person waits until the lower status person's group is called).
I have heard GA say you should only bring someone with you if they are seated in the same row as you. That being said I haven't ever seen them shut anyone down.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 8:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mintirish
I have heard GA say you should only bring someone with you if they are seated in the same row as you.
That was a rule a long time ago for E+.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:39 am

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
My opinion on the correct ethics of the matter:
Immediate family, yes.
Coworker, no.
Reasoning:
My family sacrifices a lot for all my travel and deserves whatever perks I can give them when we travel together. (Which is why my wife always gets my upgraded seat).
Coworker: if you really had a lot to talk about you would be seated together. That not being the case, it's each person to their own.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Checked-in at the TK business counter in IST with 2P fiance. Went back later to check-in GM friend on a different flight. The agents were totally cool. The Y line was quite long in comparison, and lots of agents were available at business check-in.

They also let all 3 of us into the lounge, even though the rules state only 1 companion.

YMMV

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.