Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Can I use my elite benefits for others? (check-in, boarding, etc.) [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I use my elite benefits for others? (check-in, boarding, etc.) [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2010, 9:57 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Sometimes the GA makes an announcement that if you are boarding with others who have later boarding numbers then you should all board in the latest number of the group. Not all GA's say it though.

Interesting question though.. normally when you're all on the same PNR doesn't everyone get the same boarding group? The interesting part is that now 1K's don't get a boarding group..their BP just says 1K. So in this case, what will the other BP's say? Group 1? Blank? I have not traveled on a multi person PNR since they moved 1K's out of group 1... so I don't know the answer. Someone enlighten me .

You can definitely take your family into the RCC. I belive you can always bring all of your dependent children with you no matter how many there are.
Old May 26, 2010, 10:02 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
As others have stated, I will try and let the gate agent know ahead of boarding that I'm travelling with others and ask if it would be ok if we all boarded together. I've never been declined. As a courtesy, I tend to hang back a bit and let the majority of red carpet boarders go ahead of us before we get into queue. I think the most I've done are three other travelling companions.
Old May 26, 2010, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
My family always boards with me, never had a problem.

And yes the RCC rules say you can bring in the family and I always do that too.
Old May 26, 2010, 10:16 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
I figured I would hang back a bit and wait for the rush of red carpeters to board.
Old May 26, 2010, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Interesting question though.. normally when you're all on the same PNR doesn't everyone get the same boarding group? The interesting part is that now 1K's don't get a boarding group..their BP just says 1K. So in this case, what will the other BP's say? Group 1? Blank? I have not traveled on a multi person PNR since they moved 1K's out of group 1... so I don't know the answer. Someone enlighten me .
I don't think being on the PNR affects what boarding group prints on the BP.

When my wife and I are on the same PNR, it prints 1K for me and Prem Exec for her. It used to print "Group 1" for her when she was 2P.

To the OP, I think it's reasonable to board with your family over the red carpet. If you were to travel with three lower-status co-workers, I'd say you should let them board with their own group(s).
Old May 26, 2010, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1K
Sometimes the GA makes an announcement that if you are boarding with others who have later boarding numbers then you should all board in the latest number of the group. Not all GA's say it though.
Hmm, I have only ever heard the opposite. (Board with the lowest number in your group)
Old May 26, 2010, 11:33 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sknyski
Yes, I do this, especially if the option is to leave my 3P 5-year-old at the gate while I board first. Makes sense to board all at once. I've never had a problem.

Yes.
While I agree with you all being able to board early, the alternative you mention is not exactly the only other choice and using your child's age as an excuse is perhaps a bit extreme.

Originally Posted by nirajashah
I've even boarded the red carpet with non-family traveling companion (like colleague). I think it's okay as long as you don't bring along 20 companions who don't have status
I've actually had a colleague denied boarding early in Chicago (and have seen it happen at least one other time) as the agent said something like you need to be seated together or at least in the same cabin (don't remember which one it was).

So I am not sure what the *official* rule is.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 26, 2010 at 4:00 pm Reason: merge
Old May 26, 2010, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K , HH Gold VIP, Hertz Gold, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Marriott Silver Elite
Originally Posted by neo_781
I've actually had a colleague denied boarding early in Chicago (and have seen it happen at least one other time) as the agent said something like you need to be seated together or at least in the same cabin (don't remember which one it was).

So I am not sure what the *official* rule is.
That is weird because I have been able to board two colleagues with no status through the red carpet and we all were not on the same PNR. Maybe a grumpy GA?
Old May 26, 2010, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
I think a good rule of thumb is that you should board together if and only if you are seated together.

When I travel with family, we always board together. When I travel with work colleagues, we don't sit together so we don't board together (unless we're in the middle of a conversation while in the gate area, in which case the higher status person waits until the lower status person's group is called).
Old May 26, 2010, 12:37 pm

Programs: Won Kay
Originally Posted by Akulashark
I have a trip coming up where I am taking the entire family (wife and two children) to Hawaii. Booked on reward tickets.

When boarding, I am sure there is plenty of opinion on this, should we board over the red carpet?

I booked the tickets all together on one PNR, and we are seated in E+ for all the segments, I just want to hear opinion about it. Personally I feel as though I should be able to board all together, over the red carpet, but YMMV. Let me know how you would handle this.

Also, my RCC membership says I can bring my spouse and minor children in with me, can I really have 3 guests if they are my family?
There is no question. You and your family travelling with you rate the Red Carpet. It's one the benefits of being a 1K.

Enjoy!
Old May 26, 2010, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by endrond
I think a good rule of thumb is that you should board together if and only if you are seated together.

When I travel with family, we always board together. When I travel with work colleagues, we don't sit together so we don't board together (unless we're in the middle of a conversation while in the gate area, in which case the higher status person waits until the lower status person's group is called).
+1

When I comes to colleagues, I'm on the same page... unless there's a serious conversation going I'll leave them behind. When it comes to family (which at this point its only Mrs. UALurkerORD) she's never had a problem boarding with me through the red carpet line even if we're on different PNR's. If I had children with me I would do as others have suggested and hang back near the end of the red carpet as I'm sure the little ones would board slower than most people in the line, unless I was worried about overhead space.
Old May 26, 2010, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR Silver
Travelling together with my 1K father (both slumming in E+ for a mileage run), I was allowed to board with him on the red carpet at every gate on our itinerary, and also allowed to use the priority screening and passport/customs lines.

We did have to present together at the gates/lines in order for me to be afforded this privilege. He also asked the GA or attendant each time if it was OK, and had the privilege been refused, I'd have gone to the back of the line for my boarding group without complaint.
Old May 26, 2010, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by madnes
Hmm, I have only ever heard the opposite. (Board with the lowest number in your group)
I've only ever heard the 'board with the lowest number in your group' announcements as well.

As to boarding together, I bring my family over the red carpet every time. My usual technique is that I hand all four BPs to the GA at the same time with my 1K BP on top and the other (non and lower level status) BPs fanned out beneath mine. Works every time...
Old May 26, 2010, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K
The only time I had an issues was when traveling with four family members (all of us seated together) on separate PNRs (award tickets, from each individuals account, me on a revenue ticket) at PHL (go figure).

I called the 1K line while we all moved to the side; the 1K agent told me accord to her information (*S/UAL-CS profile or something like that, I don't remember exactly) all members of the 1K "party" can board together on the red carpet whether or not on the same PNR. I guess "party" is open to interpretation.

I asked for clarification from the SD and he said that the gate agents were instructed not to allow this - we had a nice conversation as he walked with me down the jetbridge (family had already boarded at this point). He apologized, as did I...

Now, after I had been seated, put on the 'ol noise cancelling headset, he came on board a few minuted later and said that the 1K agent was INCORRECT, that profile was outdated.

He apologized (again) - I told him it was not big deal, I just wanted clarification. He then said I would get an email and "token of appreciation" (totally unsolicited, I was happy with being wrong, if I was in fact wrong ).

So you may wish to call the 1K line, but as with everything, YMMV...
Old May 26, 2010, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Travelling LHR-SFO-LHR using the *A lounge at LHR, 2 adults, 1 child, they had to be persuaded to allow my daughter in, and the same happened at the SFO lounge. As for the boarding, all go on with me as a 1K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.