Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

New lower price to join the Red Carpet Club

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New lower price to join the Red Carpet Club

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K; CO Plat; Hilton Dimond; Marriott 3/3
Originally Posted by SF1K
So I received basically the same offer from CO - waive initiation fee $325 to join, plus 5000 bonus miles. Can't decide which one to join.
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
How does WiFi access work in PC's? Is it just open to anyone in the club? I haven't been to any yet.
As far as I can tell, WiFi is the only difference between RCC and PC. In PC, anyone can get on the WiFi, while RCC requires a code. So, if you buy a PC membership, you probably won't be able to get on WiFi at the RCCs.

Thus, based on this factor and this factor alone, I am thinking of renewing my RCC. (I fly 90% domestic, lots of connections. Having the club isn't only about a place away from the nonsense, but also about club reps for IIROPS.)
Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
I fly 35k with AC and get it free
Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
I should do that as well...good idea even for a UA loyalist
Old Jan 7, 2010, 6:38 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by mike_one2many
As far as I can tell, WiFi is the only difference between RCC and PC. In PC, anyone can get on the WiFi, while RCC requires a code. So, if you buy a PC membership, you probably won't be able to get on WiFi at the RCCs.

Thus, based on this factor and this factor alone, I am thinking of renewing my RCC. (I fly 90% domestic, lots of connections. Having the club isn't only about a place away from the nonsense, but also about club reps for IIROPS.)
Totally wrong...all you need do is ask for a T-Mobile 24-hour access card at the front desk (not the entry desk)--have done this several times at DEN and ORD; no problems with any of a dozen or so agents.

I just bought the RCC membership and currently have a PC membership, which I will let expire at the end of Feb. The only reason I switched is that I am 1K on UA and dirt on CO, so it saves me $125 (I didn't get the targeted offer some others seem to have gotten offering MP members discounted PC membership rates; would have gone that route otherwise).

I sincerely hope the RCC changes to having complimentary drinks like the PC and that the USAC lifts the same-day US ticket requirement (especially since it appears the reverse is no longer true for USAC members to access the RCC). If not, I'll probably switch back to the PC next year and just stay with them.

cheers!
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA MP 2P, SPG
Is it worth the $375 annual fee for the MP club access card? If the card includes RCC membership, and RCC members can access PC card, that means having that credit card allows me to use the PC lounge as well?
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by AAir_head
Totally wrong...all you need do is ask for a T-Mobile 24-hour access card at the front desk (not the entry desk)--have done this several times at DEN and ORD; no problems with any of a dozen or so agents.
You aren't supposed to be getting the wifi cards, and if these agents ever get retrained you will no longer. Enjoy their (mis) training while you can. The only people eligible for the wifi cards are supposed to be int'l C and F paid customers.

I sincerely hope the RCC changes to having complimentary drinks like the PC and that the USAC lifts the same-day US ticket requirement (especially since it appears the reverse is no longer true for USAC members to access the RCC). If not, I'll probably switch back to the PC next year and just stay with them.
Not really relevant. If you join the RCC, you can still access the PCs and get free booze. Doesn't matter which one you join because you can access all the benefits (free booze, free snacks, etc) of both PCs and RCCs. The *only* significant difference is that RCC membership entitles you to free wifi in RCCs while PC (in theory) does not. Free booze in PCs and free wifi in PCs are offered if you are an RCC member or a PC member.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 6:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by andrewwm
You aren't supposed to be getting the wifi cards, and if these agents ever get retrained you will no longer. Enjoy their (mis) training while you can. The only people eligible for the wifi cards are supposed to be int'l C and F paid customers.
Hm, this is odd, I just took a look at the Wi-fi Access Card I got in ORD a few days ago, and printed on the front it says:

United Red Carpet Club

Complimentary Wi-Fi Access Card
- United International First Class
- United International Business Class
- United Red Carpet Club One-Time Pass Customers
- Continental Presidents Club Members
- Continental BusinessFirst

The last two bullet points are new vs. the cards I received last year.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 7:03 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by flaii
Hm, this is odd, I just took a look at the Wi-fi Access Card I got in ORD a few days ago, and printed on the front it says:

United Red Carpet Club

Wow, UA really thought ahead on the preventing arbitrage issue. Now not only is the price of joining CO/UA club exactly the same (at each same status level), the benefits you get as a member of either are the same too.

Last edited by EsquireFlyer; Jan 8, 2010 at 8:34 am
Old Jan 8, 2010, 7:24 am

Aren't there presumably a lot more RCCs than PCs? At least close to the UA gates at most UA hubs?
Old Jan 8, 2010, 8:24 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Well the other consideration is not everyone has the same elite level on both UA and CO, so there is a cost differential whether to go with RCC or PC.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 8:49 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Dam, I had access to the CO PC in BOS last month when flying out on DL, via my RCC membership, and I didn't even know! So I sat around the Gate area and ate in the Legal kitchen instead.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by flaii

United Red Carpet Club

I stand corrected! Good to see United finally easing up on their draconian wireless policy.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
Dam, I had access to the CO PC in BOS last month when flying out on DL, via my RCC membership, and I didn't even know! So I sat around the Gate area and ate in the Legal kitchen instead.
Well that's not too bad...Legal Seafood at BOS is a good place to spend some time.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 1K
Did the RCC miles price add a 7k initiation fee or did the price go up?

Red Carpet Club membership details - http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,52712,00.html

Based on the page above, it looks like the regular annual miles price just went up by 7k, on Monday, Feb 1. The T&Cs at http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,52713,00.html don't mention an initiation fee for miles.

However, a RCC representative said the 7k above the prior price was an initiation fee like the $50 that has been mentioned. The link I have on united.com while I'm logged in for renewing says 40k, which makes me think it's an initiation fee, or saying the same thing another way, the annual price is X7,000 miles with a 7k discount for renewal. My bet's on the initiation fee, although I wish they would make that as clear as they do the $50 fee.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 8:57 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
The price up until now was as follows:
GM - $525 or 70k
+spouse - $300 or 40k

2P - $500 or 65k
+spouse - $250 or 30k

1P - $450 or 60k
+spouse $200 or 25k

1K - $400 or 55k
+spouse $150 or 20k

There was no initiation fee. These were the prices valid 2/28/09-1/31/10. Taking PDFs for the ECTC has proved valuable

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.