Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UAL, parent of United Air, stock down 41 percent

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2001, 8:25 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

CHICAGO, Sept 17 (Reuters) - Shares of UAL Corp. (NYSE:UAL - news), the parent of United Airlines, were down $12.58 or about 41 percent to $18.24 on the New York Stock Exchange shortly after opening.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rf/010917/n17354070_1.html

Old Sep 17, 2001, 8:35 am
Suspended

Phew.

Guess that means the US Air deal is definirely off then?

Read a Yahoo post that Air Zealand stock traded today for about 10c a share in NZ, so UA is doing a lot better when you compare that.
Old Sep 17, 2001, 9:10 am

Well, US Air may be a "failing firm" soon, which would make it much easier for United to pass antitrust scrutiny.
Old Sep 17, 2001, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA CK 2MM, DL DM 1MM, WN CP, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic3, Marriott Titanium Lftm, Hyatt GLB
Well, if business stays the way it is and there are no federal subsidies, UNITED might be a failing airline soon.

As an economics major, I firmly believe in the free market and all that, but these negative externalities are quite frightening.
Old Sep 17, 2001, 8:21 pm

Hey, it could be worse. Check out what CO or HP did, or as mentioned above, what US did.
Old Sep 17, 2001, 8:21 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Marriott, American
Of course,the "proposed" infusion of $20 Billion for the majors would help in the short run,though not sure how long.
Old Sep 17, 2001, 8:51 pm

Does this mean I should begin transferring those banked miles to . . . a hotel program?
Old Sep 17, 2001, 11:15 pm
Suspended

brentski - $20 billion or 2.5 billion?
Old Sep 18, 2001, 12:13 am

I think a bunch of numbers have been thrown around. The $2.5 billion figure has been mentioned as a potential amount for a direct grant to the airlines. And then there's also been talk of gov't loan guarantees for something up to about $20 billion. Sometimes the $20 billion is mentioned as the sum of the grant plus loans guaranteed.
Old Sep 18, 2001, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I recall that Chrysler government loan/bail-out of many years ago worked pretty good, didn't it?
Old Sep 18, 2001, 12:32 am

Was watching TV and saw a report on CNN saying one of the airline proposals was $5 billion grants, $8 billion tax relief, and $11 billion loans guaranteed, if I remembered correctly.

Also, from http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/18/business/18AIR.html :

"An airline executive who refused to be identified predicted that the industry would need $24 billion in direct grants to sustain it over the next few months. Another said $2.5 billion in grants and $12.5 billion in loan guarantees would be enough for a start."
Old Sep 18, 2001, 6:46 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

UAL Corp.'s UA will lay off 20,000 employees or 20 percent of its workforce in the wake of reduced travel demand after the crash of four hijacked planes last week, CNN reported on Tuesday.

United said it would not confirm the report, noting it just held a memorial service for employees lost in the crash of two of its planes, one into the World Trade Center and one into rural Pennsylvania.

``There will be no announcement today,'' said spokesman Andy Plews.

Herb Hunter, spokesman for United's Air Line Pilots Association, also said he could not verify that information.

``I have no confirmation of that and my sources say that the decision hasn't been made,'' Hunter said.

Frank Larkin, spokesman for the International Association of Machinists, representing 44,000 workers, also said he could not confirm the report.

United, based in Elk Grove Village, has about 100,000 employees. It announced a 20-percent schedule reduction over the weekend. If it moved in line with other carriers announcing layoffs, 20,000 layoffs would equal the 20 percent schedule cutbacks, Larkin said.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rf/010918/n18262851_1.html

---

United Airlines Announces Red Carpet Club Closings

18 Sep 2001, 04:41 PM, EST

United Airlines has announced that the following Red Carpet Clubs have been temporarily closed:

Atlanta Red Carpet Club
Cleveland Red Carpet Club
Indianapolis Red Carpet Club
San Francisco North Terminal Mezzanine Red Carpet Club
United apologizes for any inconvenience resulting from these temporary closings - and will post updates on this website when the clubs have been reopened. United encourages its customers to enjoy its 47 other Red Carpet Club locations worldwide.

http://www.ual.com/Response/PressRel...1892_1,00.html

Old Sep 18, 2001, 9:35 pm
Suspended

Just saw on TV news the figure the airlines are asking for is $50 BILLION and the President is said to have received this request with a "sympathetic ear". By no means a done deal, but man that is serious bucks right there.
Old Sep 18, 2001, 10:21 pm

The most recent reports I've seen are $24 billion on, e.g., NY Times and CNN:

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/19/business/19BAIL.html
http://cnnfn.cnn.com/2001/09/18/news/airlines_bailout/

avgas, perhaps the reports you've seen are in a different currency? I'd also note that much of the requested $24 B is in the form of loan guarantees. The true economic value of a $1 loan guarantee is a fair bit less than $1.
Old Sep 18, 2001, 10:58 pm

I'm looking forward to what exactly a "loan guarantee" means. There is no doubt the airlines need help from the government. On the other hand, even without last week's tragedy, the airline industry was on shaking footing and some airlines were going to have to file for bankruptcy protection anyway.

Anyone recall what the terms of the US government's help to Chrysler was?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.