Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you use the red carpet? - Poll

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2009, 2:52 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM
i tend to hang in the red rug sucking wifi until after boarding starts. when i get to the gate, unless it looks exceedingly ugly, i just queue with everyone else. we'll all get to the destination at the same time, i don't do massive carry-on, and i am just another bozo on the bus. 'important' people amuse me, sad folk.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
I will use it. But I do not cut in front of anybody in regular boarding. I wait for the gate agent to acknowledge me. I used to be in the regular line.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 3:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat
As long as it's my turn, and within the perks and privileges I'm allowed, I use it, and I don't feel a thing about it.

It depends mainly on the layout of the gate. Whichever is easier or more direct. I board the plane to get on the plane, not to put on a show for the masses.

It isn't my job to be the boarding police. Besides, I'm usually the 1K or F person that everyone else is scrutinizing and wondering if I'm queued up in the right place (they really need to mind their own damn business).

I'm kind of difficult to ignore, so were it to happen, I'd just stand there and wait.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 3:18 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM
I used to be in the regular line.
well said. and we likely will be again.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by randyqx
well said. and we likely will be again.
Actually one of the more interesting things I have seen, is that when having stood for a while while the gate agent wonders you are, and you explain that you were late for red carpet boarding. They seem to respect you more because you did not make a DYKWHIA scene. My status will probably drop soon but I am glad that you seem to feel the same way that I do. It is nice but it is not worth having a stinking fight over.

As an addendum, if there about 6 people in regular boarding, I will stand at the back of the line. I already had my chance and I missed it.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
I always use the red carpet, but only after my personal assistant vacuums it.

Seriously, I'll use an elite boarding lane if it's available and I qualify, and if there is a red walk-off mat adorning said lane, I guess I'll walk on it.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 8:01 am

I just earned the privilege in the last couple weeks so hell ya I use it
Old Nov 23, 2009, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 2MM Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by sapguy
I ALWAYS use the Red Carpet line, no matter when I board or how many people (including none) are on the regular line.
Ditto.

I am still waiting for a red line directly from the Red Carpet Club, to the Red Carpet at the gate. Just like the green line to follow on the Fidelity commercial, but red.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 8:12 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by the_happiness_store
As an addendum, if there about 6 people in regular boarding, I will stand at the back of the line. I already had my chance and I missed it.
Actually you did NOT miss any chance, as the point of the Red Carpet is that people who are allowed to use it can board at ANYTIME using that lane.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 8:15 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by woodway
If I am boarding after elite boarding and the regular line is very long, I will use the red carpet.

If there are only a few people in the regular line, I will just queue up with them - no big deal to wait my turn.

I would never tell someone in the red carpet line that they don't belong there. Not my business or my job.

And I don't undo the strap. I'll wait until the GA has a chance to acknowledge me and take care of it.
Thanks for saving me some typing. ^ Exactly what Mrs. Fredd and I do and don't do.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 8:24 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
I'm only a 1P, but when I'm in F or C I definitely use it. Especially to get past the gate lice.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 8:25 am

Programs: UA Gold MM , AS MVPG , MR LTT, Hilton Dia
I always use the red carpet even when coming up late, although I do wait for the GA to motion me forward. After all, it's probably the only red carpet I'll ever get to walk on...
Old Nov 23, 2009, 8:31 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, National Exec Elite
I always use it. It's a habit now. And unfortunately I'll be dropping to 1P next year so I'm sure I'll mistakenly go on the red carpet and get booted off.

Has anybody else ever been standing on the red carpet and have the GA completely ignore you? I had that happen once. She processed at least 8 people in coach before I finally caught her eye. She made a big sigh like it was so much trouble to open up the strap and let me on. I didn't feel like making a scene, but I thought it was pretty unprofessional. This was in ORD.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 8:46 am

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Since I have to travel with a suitcase now, I almost always use the Red Carpet line, and try to get there early, though often its so crowded with gate lice, I don't always get to the Red Carpet until they have already called 1Ps.

When boarding later, if the Blue Line is short, I go in it, if its long, I'll go to the Red Carpet.

I have never called anyone out for being in the Red Line regardless of what I see on their BP. Sadly, the GA often never looks and just lets them on, even thought I have seen Prem Exec, or even Premier or GM in Economy. Sadly, I have been called out by people for being in the Red Carpet line, though my BP clearly says 1K.

I have never opened the gate, I always wait until the GA is ready. They know the boarding procedure and when a good time to pause the line would be better than I do.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 9:18 am

Programs: UA 1K
I will generally only use the Red Carpet if there is a significant benefit to using it. Like others, six or more in the regular line and I will probably take advantage. I generally have small carry-ons so there is no harm to wait a moment or two. I generally feel self-conscious using it.

Incidentally, the one time I was early for boarding with pretty large carryon (unusual for me) I stood on the carpet waiting for boarding to open - I was the only one in the red line. Without asking my status the GA barked 'we need to keep this aisle clear - the regular line is over there'. Knowing she was in the wrong, I simply stood to one side while she announced priority boarding. I was the only one that came forward in front of the long line 10 seconds later and I re-greeted her with a beaming smile and a 'good morning nice to see you again!'.

I like to think she learned something from her embarrassment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.