Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA orders 25 B787s and 25 A350s [Merged threads].

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA orders 25 B787s and 25 A350s [Merged threads].

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2009, 6:36 pm

Programs: LH FTL, EK Gold, AMEX Centurion, . HH Diamond, Ambassador Platinum,Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by 5khours
Anyone flown the 380 long haul and have any thoughts on cabin pressure?
Well have flown the A380 between SIN and NRT on SQ very nice plane, very comfortable pressure inside and very roomy.... still airbus hasnt got right as usual the question with the overhead bins where they still suck....
Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:08 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by andrewwm
I'm for whichever one will be delivered sooner and cheaper.
I'm for whichever will break down less.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Next week UA is presenting at the "Next Generation Equity Research 2009 U.S. Airline Conference". http://ir.united.com/phoenix.zhtml?c...957&highlight=

My gut says (and I have nothing to back this up)..... If UA is going to order new planes it will be announced shortly before (maybe even the night before) this presentation.

Again, this is just a feeling.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
My feeling has always been that UA will wait to see if the 787 makes its first flight by the end of the year before making a final decision. But, like you, I have nothing other than gut instinct to back me up.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 1:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by coolbeans202
My feeling has always been that UA will wait to see if the 787 makes its first flight by the end of the year before making a final decision. But, like you, I have nothing other than gut instinct to back me up.
I would imagine that any order is probably in the final process of negotiation, so would happen regardless whether the 787 flies or not.

That said, hurry the eff up UA! I want Christmas to come early dammit!
Old Dec 3, 2009, 11:41 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UAL awesome
I would imagine that any order is probably in the final process of negotiation, so would happen regardless whether the 787 flies or not.
True. But if the final contract isn't signed and Boeing misses first flight announcing another delay, there is no reason why UA couldn't walk away and decide to finalize an order with Airbus. However, if they are already leaning toward Airbus then obviously first flight won't have an impact.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
Originally Posted by LA_Traveler
The closest thing to a government subsidy that Boeing can be accused of receiving is NASA basic research programs that may produce knowledge that might get applied to a future Boeing product. But this is not the same as a direct subsidy for the development of a product, such as Airbus received for each of its aircraft programs.
Boeing has gotten subsidies from both the State of Washington and now the State of South Carolina for 787 production sites. 787 subcontractors, most notably in Japan, receive substantial government subsidies.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Hmm.

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/stor...FREE&cm_ite=NA
Old Dec 7, 2009, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
If it is indeed a split A350/B787 order, how would this make sense from a fleet simplicity point of view to do this? Or are there more important factors that would trump this?
Old Dec 7, 2009, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by Renard
If it is indeed a split A350/B787 order, how would this make sense from a fleet simplicity point of view to do this? Or are there more important factors that would trump this?
+1. This makes no sense to me.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
The only thing I can think of, is that having too many of one aircraft can be a bad thing, if say, the entire fleet needed to be grounded.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by 5khours
Anyone flown the 380 long haul and have any thoughts on cabin pressure?

I didnt notice a difference.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Renard
The A350 is larger than the 787, so the 350s could be used as 777/744 replacements, and the 787s will replace the 767s.

Personally, I believe they went with the 350s for this purpose because Airbus likely offered up their famous "buy one get one free"-like financing.

I'm still not 100% sold on Airbus' quality standards. I fly them because many times I have no choice, but I'm never thrilled to step on any Airbus aircraft.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Next week UA is presenting at the "Next Generation Equity Research 2009 U.S. Airline Conference". http://ir.united.com/phoenix.zhtml?c...957&highlight=

My gut says (and I have nothing to back this up)..... If UA is going to order new planes it will be announced shortly before (maybe even the night before) this presentation.

Again, this is just a feeling.
Would anyone like tomorrow nights "megamillions" number?
Old Dec 7, 2009, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Platium, SPG
Originally Posted by UNITED959
I'm still not 100% sold on Airbus' quality standards. I fly them because many times I have no choice, but I'm never thrilled to step on any Airbus aircraft.
I took a double-take on this statement... I wanted to be sure it wasn't aluminumdriver talking!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.