Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

LH Codeshare, 747-400 vs A340-600 coach, EQM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2009, 2:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P, Marriott PE, National EE

1. I am headed to TRN leaving from JFK and connecting via MUN or FRA. Flying UA flights with codeshare on LH. I have done this run many times mainly from SFO where it's mostly a 747-400. Now I may have a choice between a 747-400 and A340-600. I don't have much experience with the A340-600. Given that I am only a 2P and currently poor, I will be in E. The A340-600 is 2-4-2 vs 3-4-2 in the 747-400. I think that means that I have less chance of being in the middle on the A340-600 and the plane is probably newer?

Opinions?

2. I was under the impression that EQM miles had to be BIS on UA metal. However the web page below says miles on LH codeshare count as EQM miles. Someone please confirm? I will be flying with UA flight numbers if that makes any difference?
http://www.united.com/page/article/0,,1189,00.html

3. Would a trip taken on an LH ticket with LH flight numbers count as EQM?
Old Nov 11, 2009, 3:24 am

Yes, you will get the base EQMs for flights on star alliance carriers provided your fare is mileage accurable. You will also get the base RDMs for star alliance flights but no bonuses. Doesn't matter who's codeshare it is or who's ticket it is, it is the metal that counts, so for LH metal, you will get EQMs as per the table. As compared to UA metal, you don't gain the DEQMs as well as the lifetime miles.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 3:29 am

Programs: AC SE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by tildeleb
1. I am headed to TRN leaving from JFK and connecting via MUN or FRA. Flying UA flights with codeshare on LH. I have done this run many times mainly from SFO where it's mostly a 747-400. Now I may have a choice between a 747-400 and A340-600. I don't have much experience with the A340-600. Given that I am only a 2P and currently poor, I will be in E. The A340-600 is 2-4-2 vs 3-4-2 in the 747-400. I think that means that I have less chance of being in the middle on the A340-600 and the plane is probably newer?

Opinions?
This question would probably get better replies in the LH forum. The 747 however is the worst plane in the LH fleet. I would definitely recommend the A346. You should have personal TVs in the A346, but not on the 747. If you get a seat assignment when you book, you should avoid a middle seat in any case, unless you're flying on very short notice.

(By the way, the code for Munich airport is MUC, and the 747 is 3-4-3 in economy.)

2. I was under the impression that EQM miles had to be BIS on UA metal.
You get EQMs on any star alliance partner airline. In some cases, cheap tickets don't earn miles or earn miles at a discounted rate, but on LH transatlantic all fare classes do earn 100% miles.

However the web page below says miles on LH codeshare count as EQM miles. Someone please confirm? I will be flying with UA flight numbers if that makes any difference?

For mileage accrual purposes, all that matters is who operates the flight. The flight number is irrelevant.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 3:29 am

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
Transatlantic on both US and LH count for EQM regardless of class.

I am been on LH 346-600 in Y and it was miserable. I am six feet tall and I was on a aisle seat. The pitch was so bad that I was cramped. When I leaned the legs toward the aisle, I was either tapped by a cart or a fellow passenger.

I had taken the nonstop MUC-SFO and because it eliminated a connection and the LH website had praised the 346-600, I thought what the hell. The 'new' seats had less padding (helps burn less fuel) and I found them hard and uncomfortable. It was the most uncomfortable transatlantic flight since I flew on Peoples Express back in the 1980's.

The only nice thing is the toilets are downstairs and creates a mini-gallery.

I have never been on LH in Y.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 3:30 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold

Opinions?

2. I was under the impression that EQM miles had to be BIS on UA metal. However the web page below says miles on LH codeshare count as EQM miles. Someone please confirm? I will be flying with UA flight numbers if that makes any difference?

1. A340-600 is much better than the 744 on LH. 744 has no PTVs and is ready to retire.
3. Yes. Any transatlantic on LH.

p.s. TRN is quite nice, I've just come back from a trip there. Make sure that your flight from MUC/FRA is operated by LH mainline or Air Dolomiti, if Augsburg (not *A), possibly no miles.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 3:30 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Yes, as long as you put in your United number on the reservation.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 3:33 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by toyotaboy95
p.s. TRN is quite nice, I've just come back from a trip there. Make sure that your flight from MUC/FRA is operated by LH mainline or Air Dolomiti, if Augsburg (not *A), possibly no miles.
And if Air Dolomiti, you'll see some of the wackiest colors inside a plane you've probably ever seen
Old Nov 11, 2009, 3:43 am

Programs: UA 1p, GF Gold, EK
when flying from the states to Europe on Lufthansa, you get the same miles, RDM and EQM as you would for flying United, but only between the states and Europe. you will not however get the lifetime united miles or the DEQM for this promotion.

actually. the only difference is if your fying on a Z fare, in which you will get more miles flying LH than you would for UA.

on your other point, the LH 747 has no personal tv's in the back, only the over head displays, so you would be better off taking the a330/340
Old Nov 11, 2009, 3:50 am

Programs: UA 1p, GF Gold, EK
that was quick

between me replying, and getting a little sidetracked, it looks like 10 of you guys replied before i posted. i swear there was only 1 reply when i went to post
Old Nov 11, 2009, 5:09 am

Programs: UA 2P
RDM elite bonuses on LH metal

Originally Posted by fone
Yes, you will get the base EQMs for flights on star alliance carriers provided your fare is mileage accurable. You will also get the base RDMs for star alliance flights but no bonuses.
I believe you do earn RDM elite bonuses on Lufthansa flights between the US and Europe, no?

"Elite members at the Premier level will automatically earn a 25% redeemable mileage bonus every time they fly a paid United, United Express and US Airways flight. This redeemable mileage bonus is also valid on transatlantic Lufthansa flights between the U.S. and Europe."
Old Nov 11, 2009, 5:13 am

Programs: AC SE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by petemoss14
I believe you do earn RDM elite bonuses on Lufthansa flights between the US and Europe, no?
Yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.