Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade on frequent flier ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2009, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up Upgrade on frequent flier ticket?

Hello everyone,

I am returning from study abroad in Europe in late December and I was wondering if I have a decent case for upgrading. I have never tried it before but I want to give it a shot. I know it might be one in a million because I have a frequent flier ticket. Here is what I think might help my chances:

I. Coach is booked, but economy plus is still available--what United told me. It costs nearly $90 to "upgrade" to EP.

II. My parent has premiere executive "status" and our frequent flier accounts are joined.

III. I got my flight over here through my parents frequent flier miles but flew on Air Canada. Long story short I had an awful experience--stuck between two clinically obese men.

IV. My layover is long enough to woo the ticket counter.

I am thinking if I dress in a suit and tie, be polite but firm I just may have a chance. No?

-Is there anything else I can do to improve my chances?
-Is there something that I should not do?

What does everyone think?

Last edited by gringo430; Nov 10, 2009 at 1:45 pm
Old Nov 10, 2009, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Welcome to FT.

Originally Posted by gringo430
I think unless you are willing to spend $90 to fly in E+ or $800 to upgrade to business class (assuming there are seats in either), you are are flying in E-.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Thank you.

@mre5765 If coach is sold out (including E+), would you think they'd consider letting me purchase 'business class' for less than $800?
Old Nov 10, 2009, 6:16 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am returning from study abroad in Europe in late December and I was wondering if I have a decent case for upgrading.
Virtually no chance, but stranger things have happened.

I. Coach is booked, but economy plus is still available--what United told me. It costs nearly $90 to "upgrade" to EP.
Coach isn't necessarily full then; there are no coach seats available for assignment.

II. My parent is a dean at an ivy-league college and has premiere executive "status" and our frequent flier accounts are joined.
I'm not aware of any way FF accounts can be "joined" on UA; even if they were, it makes no difference.

III. I got my flight over here through my parents frequent flier miles but flew on Air Canada. Long story short I had an awful experience--stuck between two clinically obese men.
They wont care.

IV. My layover is long enough to woo the ticket counter.
An opportunity to waste more time.

I am thinking if I dress in a suit and tie, be polite but firm I just may have a chance. No?
No.

- Is there anything else I can do to improve my chances?
-Is there something that I should not do?

The best thing that could happen is you could get economy plus for free if you don't have a coach seat assignment and hold out until the very end at the gate. But you could also end up in the middle of the last aisle. I wouldn't even think about a free upgrade because it just doesn't work that way anymore. They aren't going to care about your mommy or daddy's status, and Premier Executive isn't that high nowadays anyway. If you wear a suit, you will fly in a suit (unless you change in an airport bathroom). Since there is a 99.999999% chance you will be in coach, I'd ditch the suit idea. Also, they will upgrade a premier member in jeans before someone with no status in a suit. I would just drop this whole "upgrade" thing and work on getting yourself the best coach seat you can.

You can't really charm yourself into an upgrade the way you used to be able to.

Welcome to flyertalk. ^

Thank you.

@mre5765 If coach is sold out (including E+), would you think they'd consider letting me purchase 'business class' for less than $800?
I don't think I've seen the upgrade offers operate on a sliding scale; I think they want their set price for the upgrade or else they give it for free. I think they don't want to "devalue" the product by pricing airport upgrades that way. At what point do they draw the line? $600? $400? $200? $50? At what point is it better to take the cash vs. leave the impression that business class is worth more than $x over coach.

When they upgrade people for free, they aren't attaching the same "value" that a dollar amount does. It is a subtle difference.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 10, 2009 at 11:14 am Reason: merge
Old Nov 10, 2009, 6:23 am
Original Poster

@Ari

Ouch man. Like I said I have never done this before and that is precisely why I am asking. How much would it change things if I had bought the ticket?
Old Nov 10, 2009, 6:28 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5 Star
If you'd actually purchased it your chance of a business upgrade for free would go to up to .00002%. Sorry to burst your bubble.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AFJon
If you'd actually purchased it your chance of a business upgrade for free would go to up to .00002%. Sorry to burst your bubble.
At least I didn't may that much for my frequent flier ticket.

Thanks for your advice.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 7:02 am

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
If coach is sold out (including E+), would you think they'd consider letting me purchase 'business class' for less than $800?
To answer this directly, the holidays are a time when most flyers are not elite. I would say that if you don't have a pre-assigned coach seat, there's a fair shot that you'll be assigned an E+ seat at the gate for free (though most likely a middle).

Since there also aren't a lot of business travelers, there may be room in the business cabin. Buying a UFC (upgrade for cash) is your only realistic chance at getting one of those seats. I think most destinations in Europe have UFC prices that are in fact less than $800, but most are more than $500. Sometimes they offer it at the kiosk when you check in, sometimes you have to ask an agent (and often it's just not available).
Old Nov 10, 2009, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PVDProf
To answer this directly, the holidays are a time when most flyers are not elite. I would say that if you don't have a pre-assigned coach seat, there's a fair shot that you'll be assigned an E+ seat at the gate for free (though most likely a middle).

Since there also aren't a lot of business travelers, there may be room in the business cabin. Buying a UFC (upgrade for cash) is your only realistic chance at getting one of those seats. I think most destinations in Europe have UFC prices that are in fact less than $800, but most are more than $500. Sometimes they offer it at the kiosk when you check in, sometimes you have to ask an agent (and often it's just not available).
My thoughts exactly, but I do realize that I have a 0.1% chance of landing a business class seat.

How good is United's mileage plus program in terms of upgrading compared to other American carriers. I am a student and I foresee myself flying much more in the future. I earn miles with United but they usually expire before I have enough. Would people recommend United and star alliance over sky team or even one world?
Old Nov 10, 2009, 7:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Unless you are offered an upgrade for cash (as noted above)....be prepared for coach.

I may have the specific pecking order wrong, but these are the people who would get a "free" (operational) upgrade before you:
  • GS
  • 1P (while this is your parents status, unfortunately, it is not extended to you)
  • 2P
  • NRSA
  • 3P
  • other *G
  • other *S
  • GM full fare/standard award
  • GM any paid fare

Unfortunately, as a non status on an award, I think the only person you would "trump" is someone on a buddy pass, who is traveling without their sponsor.

Also, the dress up in a suit trick went away in the early 80's.

Finally, read through the UA FAQ's, and search some of the other forums of the carriers you are thinking of using. Lot of valuable information that will help you make your decision of which carrier/alliance to use in the future.

BTW welcome to FT
Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:09 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

II. My parent is a dean at an ivy-league college. .
I think it's funny that you are mentioning this tidbit alongside an attempt to avoid a relatively insignificant $90 fee.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:11 am

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
My thoughts exactly, but I do realize that I have a 0.1% chance of landing a business class seat.

How good is United's mileage plus program in terms of upgrading compared to other American carriers. I am a student and I foresee myself flying much more in the future. I earn miles with United but they usually expire before I have enough. Would people recommend United and star alliance over sky team or even one world?
Hi gringo430, welcome to flyertalk - as you become a more frequent traveler hopefully this site will provide some additional value.

I'm going to try to simplify some things for you based on the advice that's already been provided.

Your chance of "landing" a business class, or C class seat as we call it on this forum is 0%. It won't matter what you wear, who you know, or how charming and well dressed you are. As a GM, or "General Member" in United's Mileage Plus program there will be more people on your plane that have priority over any complimentary upgrades out of coach than you do.

As mentioned above, you may be offered an "Upgrade for Cash" or UFC; this is a complete crap shoot as biz class on your flight may be booked full prior to the day of departure. If not, it could be offered when you check in online or at the airport or occassionally by the gate agents via announcement. The price is fixed and there is no ability to negotitate, depending on where you're departing from in Europe, you're probably looking at $700 - $900 for this option.

Your question about upgrading on UA vs. other American carriers is a good one. Unfortunately at this time, the answer is - wait and see. This is because United is significantly overhauling its upgrade program in the first quarter of next year (2010). In the past, elite status flyers were provided with various types of upgrade instruments that they could use on a variety of flights (domestic, international). However, the use of the majority of these instruments is goign away and instead, United will be upgrading primarily based on 1) Mileage Plus Elite Status and 2) Fare Class of the ticket. While we don't know exactly what this will mean for UA flyers, other US airlines utilize similar policies. Based on those airlines, the general consensus around the UA forum here is that top-tier elites on UA (those that fly over 100,000 miles per year) will continue to have success being upgraded regularly. Those that do not have top tier elite status (25,000 - 99,999 miles) are probably going to have a more difficult time being upgraded than they have in the past. It's also expected that the redemption of miles will likely play a more significant role in the upgrade game.

You'll probably get better perspective from forum members when your 'travel lifestyle' becomes more clear after graduation. Variables that you just don't know yet (i.e. where you'll be living, where you'll frequently travel to, how often, what classes of service your employer is willing to pay for) are all major factors in deciding what airline to make your primary carrier.

Regardless, hope you'll stick around and learn as much as possible.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:25 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Welcome to FT.

As a 1KMM, i've never had a miles ticket upgraded or been offered UFC. I believe GS gets that opportunity. but it is just now ocurring to me that it's possibly because my father is a farmer.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:32 am

Programs: mileage plus
oh to be young and a dreamer ...

maybe you can be seated to ___________ (fill-in person of choice) and they will discover you and sign you for $$$$
Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:35 am

Programs: ANA Pt
Originally Posted by prestonh
As a 1KMM, i've never had a miles ticket upgraded or been offered UFC. I believe GS gets that opportunity. but it is just now ocurring to me that it's possibly because my father is a farmer.
+1!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.