Wiki Posts
Search

Define an EQS?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2009, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, United Silver
Define an EQS?

Can someone define Elite Qualifying Segment for me? Is it simply a one way trip or if I have layovers do I get an EQS for each leg of the trip. For instance is DCA-ORD-LAX one or two EQS's?
Old Oct 14, 2009, 7:30 am

Programs: UAL IK;Marriott Plat Elite;Hyatt Diamond;Hilton Gold;Hertz Presidents Circle
That would be 2.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by debua1k
That would be 2.
Well I wonder how or if that will transfer over to Continental EQP's since there you only would get one.

Also make the case for potentially switching to MP from OP because I fly a lot of segments and not a lot of miles since I am doing almost exclusively US travel and live in the midwest.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
EQS: Earn .5 for each take off and .5 for each landing. Unless the flight booked is a "direct" flight (not to be confused with non-stop), and this does not include unscheduled stops either.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 7:45 am

Programs: UAL IK;Marriott Plat Elite;Hyatt Diamond;Hilton Gold;Hertz Presidents Circle
Good point, jhayes_1780. If both segments have the same flight number, it would only count as one, but if they are just connecting flights, it would count as two.

I also am a mainly domestic flyer. For the first 6 years or so of my frequent flying, I qualified as a 1K based on segments. I have been qualifying based on segments and miles for the last few years.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1K: since 2010
For the first 6 years or so of my frequent flying, I qualified as a 1K based on segments. I have been qualifying based on segments and miles for the last few years.
How do you qualify based on segments AND miles?

I'd be curious to know what percentage of elite UA members qualify via the segment versus miles route? Is it 50/50? Anybody know?
Old Oct 14, 2009, 8:08 am

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by mddolloff
Can someone define Elite Qualifying Segment for me? Is it simply a one way trip or if I have layovers do I get an EQS for each leg of the trip. For instance is DCA-ORD-LAX one or two EQS's?
As a general rule, just count the number of cities you'll be in (ie DCA-ORD-LAX-SEA-YVR = 5), and then subtract 1 to get EQS. In the example above, 5-1=4 EQS. Alternatively, .5 for each take-off and landing works too.

In your example: DCA-ORD-LAX (3) = 2 EQS.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Baertracks
How do you qualify based on segments AND miles?...
I don't know the specifics of that poster's situation, but to me it would mean you have enough segments and enough miles to qualify on either. You probably would make it on one before the other - both on the same flight is possible, but unlikely - but if you're not moving up a level and you have them both by Dec. 31, that doesn't matter; you qualified on both.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 9:25 am

Before the double EQM bonus that most airlines jumped on this year, I also used segments for 1K qualification. United usually allows "creative" routing, as long as your fare buckets can be found on each flight.
As an example: IND-LAX - traditional routing via ORD or Denver - two segments. For a segment run - IND-ORD-SEA-PDX-LAX-SFO -- five segments.
Yes, the fare is slightly higher but usually due to the airport takeoff/landing fees.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by JerseyJoe
As an example: IND-LAX - traditional routing via ORD or Denver - two segments. For a segment run - IND-ORD-SEA-PDX-LAX-SFO -- five segments.
Isn't that four segments, i.e., IND-ORD-SEA-PDX-LAX in order to get from IND-LAX? The segment LAX-SFO has me confused?

BTW, I recently did SHD-IAD-FRA-JNB-FIH instead of the usual SHD-IAD-BRU-FIH and collected 32,000 miles instead of 18,000 miles. In that case, however, I was trying to increase miles rather than segments.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Baertracks
How do you qualify based on segments AND miles?
I flew over 100 segments and 100K miles.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:46 am

I flew over 100 segments and 100K miles.
Now I get it (and I'm very impressed).
Do you get anything extra from UA for that accomplishment?
They should had least make you a 2K.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:59 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
That would be 2.
Unless you're on a flight booked as the same flight # between DCA-LAX; then it would be 1 EQS, regardless of the stop in ORD. (I had that unfortunately happen to me one year when I was qualifying on segments; my corporate travel agent thought she was "simplifying" things to book it as the single flight #.)
Old Oct 14, 2009, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K, DL Gold
Talking

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
EQS: Earn .5 for each take off and .5 for each landing. Unless the flight booked is a "direct" flight (not to be confused with non-stop), and this does not include unscheduled stops either.
I am not sure about the .5 for each take off and .5 for each landing concept. I somehow ended up with .5 in may number of segments. I think I would have remembered not taking off or landing on one of my trips...

I have been trying to figure out how I got .5 of an EQS too.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 2:12 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by timshwak
I am not sure about the .5 for each take off and .5 for each landing concept. I somehow ended up with .5 in may number of segments. I think I would have remembered not taking off or landing on one of my trips...

I have been trying to figure out how I got .5 of an EQS too.
The extra .5 is for high-yield fares, which earn 150% on EQM/EQS. F, A, P, C, D, Z, Y, and B, typically.

Even if you're not booking those, you can end up in full-Y and get the bonus due to rebooking during irrops. This is a "bonus" / pleasant surprise and not a guaranteed benefit, mind you, so if you don't get full Y on an irrop flight, don't go complaining to UA for it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.