Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United's Unlimited Domestic Upgrades Program (Data through March 18, 2010) [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United's Unlimited Domestic Upgrades Program (Data through March 18, 2010) [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2009, 2:14 pm

Programs: Mariott Plat, *wood Plat, Hyatt Diamond, United 1K
I don't know about this. I'd rather have instruments that i can upgrade when I'm on vacation versus getting upgraded on biz flights that I care little about.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 2:14 pm
gof

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Gold
Even as a 1K, I'm going to give this a

Why? Because it will make it near impossible for a 2P, and possibly even a 1P, to upgrade busy routes. With the e500 system, you would put them towards the flights you preferred. You could also be able to also sponsor a friend with lower status on occasion and have some possibility of getting them a seat. Now, it will be all status fliers. As for Hawaii, except for a lucky few, wouldn't the desire there to upgrade a friend/family member on holiday travel (possible with e500's?). Note likely with the new system...

Also, how many F revenue seats will they lose from 1K's who expect to get upgraded anyway ??

Sadly, while I'm 1K this year and will well timed DEQM/TEQM promos, it's likely I'll be 1K again next year, it's likely I'll reenter the 2P ranks in the future and say farewell to the occasional upgrade.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 2:15 pm

Location: Currently: DCA (+IAD/BWI). Before that: FNL (+DEN/COS). Before that: HVN (+BDL/LGA/EWR/JFK).
Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, Hertz Five Star, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by bschaff1
Also, I'm more and more hoping for a tier above 1k. Something like legitimate 1k for those of us that still do more than 100k BIS.
Doesn't that rather defeat the purpose of DEQMs? I'm a 2K EQMs / 1K BIS this year, too... but I don't see what good introducing another tier would do, other than, as I said, defeat the purpose of DEQMs.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 2:16 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LAS
I guess I need more information on this. I liked being able to pick and choose which flights I wanted to upgrade; it gave me a chance to sit up front. I'll wait to read the email tomorrow before I put on my sad face.
As a 1K equivalent on US, I'm not sure I'm excited about this. I liked that when I really wanted first class, I could usually get it on UA - I'm concerned now that even as a 1K, many flights will be unavailable. Plus right now I've got 40 e-500's in my account that will be netting me 20k miles in short order - that won't be an option in the future, I'd guess.

Who knows - guess we'll have to wait for the official announcement and even then no one will probably know until it's actually implemented several months from now.

At any rate, thank you very much United PR for announcing it here first!
Old Oct 12, 2009, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by JSlo
I'm thumbs up, assuming you can use an instrument or purchased fare and trump the "auto list"? And if no instruments or fare class purchased then they will upgrade on status/fare bucket?

Waiting to see details. Overall, seems like a win.
This...
if we have instruments to use we should still trump complimentary upgrade. If that is the case then I approve. Especially since this is the first year I will probably hit 1k and next year I will probably drop back to 1p or 2p...
Old Oct 12, 2009, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
This is ominous...

Also, what about companions? (although I'm sure it will be addressed in tomorrow's email)

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 12, 2009 at 2:38 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 12, 2009, 2:21 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by United PR
systemwide upgrades that typically have the fewest restrictions compared to our U.S. competitors
I'm sorry, but this just isn't true. AA now allows you to upgrade ALL paid fare classes using SWUs, which is way less restrictive that UAs policy.

Maybe UA will announce they are adopting this policy, too?
Old Oct 12, 2009, 2:22 pm
LAS

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Hertz #1 Gold, SPG
Maybe we can keep instruments, including e500s, to confirm upgrades and use the windows for the automatic upgrades. I'm 1k for 2010 but will drop down to 1p after that. Give me a chance.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG
Thank you for the announcement, United PR,

Please keep CR1s. The security of the confirmed upgrade is very comforting, especially over the "battlefield" mentality at the gates of other airlines.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 2:23 pm

Programs: United 2P, QMM, eleVAte
Unless my travel plans suddenly change and I make 1K, I don't expect to be riding in upgraded F much next year.

I will be curious to see how they work out the "two travelers on one PNR" issues where one flier is elite and the other is not.

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by JAaronT
Also, what about companions? (although I'm sure it will be addressed in tomorrow's email)
Yeah, I can see this being problematic when flying with a spouse or child.

Programs: UA MM, QF Plat, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by JAaronT
I don't think they have a choice but to match DL on this. Hope they don't though, but if they do, I will fly UA with friends since I don't like the situation of being in a separate cabin than my friend on the same flight. That's why if traveling some place with a friend UA is the default carrier.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA G
It would be great if the automatic upgrades (regardless of status) cleared after all instrument upgrades, and only after that, sorted by status. i.e. after the 24hr e500 windows that GMs get.

This gives 1P/2Ps a leg up on 1K's hoping for the automatic upgrade, and still gives UA the opportunity to sell e500s to GMs.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 2:25 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by Hmbrglar
As a 1K - this should be a vewwy vewwy good thing
I think you will find this is a vewwy vewwy BAD thing. Now, no one has any reason to pick and choose when they want to upgrade. The waitlists will start to look like Delta's. It will be even worse if we don't have CR-1s anymore.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 2:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
To a dark place this will lead...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.