Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United's Unlimited Domestic Upgrades Program (Data through March 18, 2010) [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United's Unlimited Domestic Upgrades Program (Data through March 18, 2010) [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2009, 2:26 pm
gof

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Gold
Another thing to think about is the secondary sorting. Will this "reward" early purchasers (FIFO in status), or penalize them (later purchased tickets likely being more expensive and higher fare classes).
Old Oct 12, 2009, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
As somebody who is usually on the cheapest fare, I hope that the ungrade priority will not be fare based but I have a nasty feeling about this.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Thanks for announcing it here first, UnitedPR. ^

Really interested in the details, especially as they pertain to upgrading non-status passengers traveling with us (spouse, children, etc.). Previously I could save up (or buy) e500's and share them with companions. Without the ability to "request" an upgrade or otherwise sponsor a companion, coupled with more competition for the seats due to waitlisting everyone, this seems troublesome.

Originally Posted by unavaca
It would be great if the automatic upgrades (regardless of status) cleared after all instrument upgrades, and only after that, sorted by status. i.e. after the 24hr e500 windows that GMs get.

This gives 1P/2Ps a leg up on 1K's hoping for the automatic upgrade, and still gives UA the opportunity to sell e500s to GMs.
I hope this is the case.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA
Another open question is if you use a SWU upgrade e.g. flying from DEN via SFO to HKG, how will this work for the domestic leg ?
Old Oct 12, 2009, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
While I could be wrong, I have a gut feeling that CR1's and SWU's will still be confirmable in advance..maintaining that benefit for those who earn them. Here's hopin!

All in all, I like the change. I've never loved e500's.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
The devil will be in the details.....

If this is a: once the instrument list has cleared, and there are open seats left for "unlimited" upgrades.... then ^

If this is a: 1K/GS get unlimited upgrades, and <1P's "get your rear in the back....

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
This is interesting... not sure how I feel about it yet. Need to see the details behind the upgrade instruments and how this impacts those.
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by fadeforward
Thank you for the announcement, United PR,

Please keep CR1s. The security of the confirmed upgrade is very comforting, especially over the "battlefield" mentality at the gates of other airlines.
+1
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
WOW!

This is just what I wanted! ^

I might just stick with UA next year! ^ I will 100% stick with UA if they match AA's all fare classes upgrade with SWUs
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Even as someone who will be 1K next year, I am not thrilled with this idea.

The only way I think it can work well is if the complimentary upgrades clear only at the gate, and that confirmable u/g's clear as soon as inventory is available, and 500s (if they still exist) clear at the windows.

Thus, those who want to upgrade particular routes will still have a good shot at doing so--basically the same chance they have now, except in the cases where they go to clearing-at-the-gate and many 1Ks don't even bother (happens a lot--now those 1Ks will be on the list automatically).
Old Oct 12, 2009, 2:34 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by unavaca
It would be great if the automatic upgrades (regardless of status) cleared after all instrument upgrades, and only after that, sorted by status. i.e. after the 24hr e500 windows that GMs get.
I'm wondering if domestic instrument upgrades will be phased out....leaving the automatic upgrades for domestic travel and SWUs for international travel.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 2:34 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
To me, this is ABSOLUTELY horrible news. NOT ONE GOOD THING ABOUT IT. And I'm a 1K.

1) I have not involuntarily sat in coach in FOUR YEARS. I upgrade EVERY flight and still have 500's expire. (Effective planning and efficient use of CR1s, occasional paid F, but also a lot of time on RJs).

2) I often travel with at least one, sometimes 2 companions...Usually with no status, or surely less status than me. This will throw a wrench into upgrades.

3) It's nice to OCCASIONALLY have a flight in F with an empty seat next to me...Rare, but it does happen.

This is a SEVERE devaluation to this 1K. YMMV. I hate it.

Is there ANY good news to come out of UA lately?
Old Oct 12, 2009, 2:35 pm

Good news for the most part, but would hate to see the CR1s go

Last edited by Angeleno228; Oct 12, 2009 at 3:29 pm
Old Oct 12, 2009, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by German Expat
Another open question is if you use a SWU upgrade e.g. flying from DEN via SFO to HKG, how will this work for the domestic leg ?
I'd hope the domestic leg would clear in advance if space is available as it does now, just as I also hope advance-confirmable CR1s aren't going anywhere. But if the latter goes, perhaps all bets are off in terms of confirming domestic upgrades through any method (SWU, CR1, miles [even with copay]).
Old Oct 12, 2009, 2:36 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
I know there are going to be many critics of how this is going to be good or bad. I was thinking if you fly mostly domestic segments as a 1K it's practically impossible to earn enough upgrade certs (E500's or CR1's) to cover all your domestic upgrades hence you need to pick and choose which flights you want to upgrade. Without seeing details of the program it seems like there will be more people on the WL before than with the exisiting program. Am I using the correct logic as now we have those who have upgrade certs and those who wouldn't be on the ug wl since they ran out of certs on the upgrade waitlist.

I guess this means no more NRSA in F since all elites will get an upgrade assuming space available!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.