Wiki Posts
Search

Is Wifi more important than E+?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2009, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS
Is Wifi more important than E+?

I just recently had a conversation with a friend of mine who was traveling on Virgin America instead of UA because it has wifi. He said that wifi actually made that much of a difference that he would never fly on UA again until they all had wifi. He be willing to fly coach on Virgin with wifi vs UA in First domestically.

Does wifi on a flight really mean that much to people? What do you think?
Old Oct 6, 2009, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Personally, no. But, live TV is.

I've been flying with Delta a lot lately for that reason.

Last night, I watched 1 hour of Property Virgins on HGTV, 2 hours of Family guy on TBS, and 1 hour of Rachel Ray on Food Network. Before I knew it, the 5 hours flight from Atlanta to Los Angeles was over in no time. (And, thanks to the great service from the FA in F who came to offer me refills on drinks and snack basket [sun chips, biscoffs, nuts, pretzels, bananas, apples, etc) every 30 minutes ^)

My seatmate also enjoyed watching live football games on ESPN for the entire duration.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
My general thought would be that for shorter flights (less than 3 hours), I'd take Wifi over E+ since the legroom doesn't make a huge difference, and it can be really useful to get work done online. For anything longer than that (transcons and long-haul), Wifi is nice as a distraction, but most laptops aren't going to last longer than a few hours anyway, and comfort/sleep is of greater importance. So while I might think about opting for a different carrier for a shorter domestic hop to be more productive, I think E+ is a great thing and eliminating it would be a very, very big turnoff for many people (while lack of Wifi is only a lack of convenience that isn't always useful).
Old Oct 6, 2009, 1:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
my priorities are
1. seat
2. seat
3. carry-on baggage space
4. (on intl/transcon) some access to food (free or purchased)
5. frequent access to liquids
6. AC power
7. wifi
8. IFE

with laptop (and space to use it) , all work/entertainment needs can be met
Old Oct 6, 2009, 1:30 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
I think it depends. For me, I often avoid mid-day flights because I don't want to be away from e-mail for an extended period of time during the middle of the work week. Adding wifi would eliminate that. I mean in general, I'd say VX is actually a pretty pleasurable flying experience. I prefer it to UA, but I stick with United because they serve way more destinations, give me upgrades, and have a much better FF program. But for someone who doesn't fly much, I can't see why flying UA would be a better option than VX, given similar pricing / times.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
with laptop , all work/entertainment needs can be met
I agree - no need for all the AV additions like TVs, on demand video, etc as long as I have my laptop.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 6, 2009 at 3:41 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 6, 2009, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
E+ over WiFi OR TV, no matter how long the domestic flight. With an iPod, DVDs, magazines, books, etc (and occasionally some work), I always fly with no shortage of things to do. Have no issues being disconnected for a few hours, and I get enough TV time already (and prefer to watch on a DVR...hate commercials). Can't really see what the equivalent substitute is for precious extra legroom and (maybe) a tad more passenger civility.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The answer is simple - wifi+ E+ makes for a very compelling value proposition.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
my priorities are
1. seat
2. seat
6. AC power
7. wifi
8. IFE

I would change (1) to seat - pitch, and (2) to seat - width, and declare 100% agreement with you.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 1:40 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Why these queries of A or B? Why not say A and B?

This sounds like some of the market testing to take away features saying people never cared for it

I am sure someone at UA has seen this and proposed a great value proposition to mgmt. We provide them 4 inches less leg space and give them 14.4 KBps for free. That is how they took away meals, pillows, enhanced mileage plans etc.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
But without WiFI, how can we make knee-jerk immediate posts to FT about a flight attendant who gave us our second meal choice?
Old Oct 6, 2009, 1:53 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
my priorities are
1. seat
2. seat
6. AC power
7. wifi
8. IFE

Those are pretty close to where I'd rank them, too. E+ is by far and above the reason I fly UA, even connecting when another carrier offers nonstop, and paying more when UA charges more (within reason).

I suspect E+ is pretty important to a large amount of UA flyers, and IFE would be up there, too (and by that, I mean live TV vs. what UA offers...), ahead of WiFi.

I'd like WiFi, but it's not going to change who I fly.

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
at 6'2/260 seat is the most important. WiFi doesn't help if I can't get my freakin laptop open far enough to be usable..meanwhile the pax in front of me is fully reclined

Programs: UA 1K
WiFi is toward the bottom of my list, maybe even below getting my BP printed on card stock . Anyway, not worth paying for, that's for sure.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 1:56 pm

Programs: DAL-PM
Has anyone used the WIFI on a flight yet? Do you know if the speed is fast enough to support a Slingbox? That would be the ultimate....being able to watch stuff on my DVR while dragging my a$$ to NRT and back! Is UAL going to put the WIFI on all their planes?
Old Oct 6, 2009, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm pretty much in agreement with WineCountry...seat pitch/width far trump WiFi / IFE.

In fact, I sort of look forward to the ability to unplug for a few hours. No one can email, text, call, IM, tweet, etc. me. It's peaceful.

If I need to work, I can actually be productive - working on stuff without being interrupted by email. :-: If I want to relax, I have my own IFE - a book and some tunes.

From what I've heard, the Virgin experience is pretty good...I just doubt I'd ever commit much travel to a carrier with such a limited route map and partner structure. If I were ever actually presented with this choice (UA vs. Virgin), I think the robustness of Star Alliance would be a bigger factor than either the seats or IFE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.