Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why were you compensated and what did you get - 2012 Edition [Compensation]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2012, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K, AS MVPG

Guess we're supposed to start a new one?

Got 2 Skykits on the way home on 1/3, for two different flights.

1st one was b/c the 777 old-config didn't have any seat power on a 9hr int'l flight (which was a pain b/c my laptop battery only lasts 3.5 hrs, and I actually needed to get work done). Offered 9k miles, $200 e-cert, 20% off (took the $200).

The other one was a courtesy skykit b/c my neighbor's reading light was inop, so I volunteered to let him use mine (i.e. shine on me, and he can use the ambient light). We both got skykits, which was very nice of the FA. Offered 9k miles, $200 e-cert, 20% off (took the $200). Surprised they offered so much - was expecting $50-100.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: * A
Originally Posted by genemk2
The other one was a courtesy skykit b/c my neighbor's reading light was inop, so I volunteered to let him use mine (i.e. shine on me, and he can use the ambient light). We both got skykits, which was very nice of the FA. Offered 9k miles, $200 e-cert, 20% off (took the $200). Surprised they offered so much - was expecting $50-100.
thanks for the data points. were both the flights international? which cabin and what's your elite status?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by noirpepper
thanks for the data points. were both the flights international? which cabin and what's your elite status?
1st flight was int'l, in C. I had to request this skykit from the FA -- they didn't offer it at first, but I thought it was justified.

2nd flight was domestic transcon in F. This skykit was offered without prompting, and I wasn't expecting it.

Both were upgraded by SWU. I'm a 1K.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:06 am

12/28 UA 934 LAX-LHR in Economy. I do not have status with UA.

Flight departure was delayed by about 3 hours, due to multiple crew scheduling irregularities.

Apparently our pilot got moved to another flight due to a sick pilot. They then flew a replacement pilot in from another city to take our flight, resulting in a 1 hour delay. When he got there, they started boarding, but suddenly stopped and told everyone to take their seats. The eventually announced over the PA system that they were working out with headquarters some "legality issues" on if the pilot could legally take our flight. They ended up flying in a second replacement pilot from SFO who took the flight. They also replaced the flight attendants (although were a couple flight attendants short of a full crew).

Over the PA system they referred us to the appreciation website. Was offered 7000 miles, $100 e-certificate, or 10%.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 6:12 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Data point: the continentalization of compensation

Had a CR2 go mx out of JFK. Rebooking was not until 24 hours later. Requested compensation. SD stated I was not due compensation or a meal voucher because no meal would have been served on the flight. Went over to LGA and they said the best they could do was a 100 dollar or 20 percent offer in the email. Last year I got 400 dollars. Just figured I'd mention it.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Without any prompting, complaint, or expectation of compensation, I got this email:

On behalf of United Airlines, we want to express our sincere apologies for your
experience with flight 6482 on January 2, 2012.

At United, we take pride in being a reliable part of your travel plans and your satisfaction
is of paramount importance. I invite you to visit the following website to select a token
of our appreciation.

http://www.united.com/appreciation

Please have your flight information handy when you visit the site. Family members who
traveled together under the same email address should access this site individually.

Thank you for your time. Again, your satisfaction and your business is important to us
and we look forward to serving you better in the near future.

Sincerely,

XXXX XXXX
United Airlines
Customer Care
I have not received unprompted compensation for an irrops in several years.

The flight was canceled. No big deal as it was a connection to a long haul, and in that situation I always have at least a 5 hour layover because I never trust UX, even SkyWest, to deliver me on time. As it turned out, the long haul was on LH, and I also wanted the 5 hours to give me plenty of time to go the LH check in deck in DEN to process a SWU paper upgrade. At just under 3 hours to departure, the upgrade, to F, was instantly accepted, but F was full. So my 5 hour planned buffer was just enough, but no time to hang in the RCC due to LH departing in A and no A concourse lounge as in the pre-merger days when CO's lounge was used.

My offer was a $200 cert, a 10% cert, or 9000 RDMs. I took the RDMs; more certs these days then I know what to do with. The magnitude of the compensation was very surprising, in a good way.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 5, 2012 at 9:14 pm Reason: per policy
Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS, AA EXP 1 MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Hertz 5Star PC
I was bumped from a very full flight from Denver to San Francisco in early 2011. A GS (what IS that?) showed up at the last minute and apparently I drew the unlucky number. I was not angry, but I did file a customer service issue because my ticket was a "B" class and I know that is an expensive fare bucket. Only being a Premier, my name was called and off came me and my carry-on. The gate agent had already put me on the next flight and she was very apologetic and gave me the email and phone number. I called the phone number and a very rude woman proceeded to tell me there was nothing she could do, that I got to my destination and her demeanor just screamed "tough cookies, babe". I laid out the issues like a medical history note in my email. I waited two weeks and nothing happened, so I thought they had basically agreed with the rude customer service agent on the phone. On the 15th day, I received a certificate good for $200, which I promptly used. This time I bought a first class ticket for my husband and I to go to Las Vegas for a medical convention. I never expected to receive that much. The later flight was only two hours later, but I guess just laying out the facts and not demanding anything convinced them I was not a crank.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plat
IAH to Narita / Broken seat in BF

Automatic controls inoperable. Paul, the Service Manager, tried to fix it, then manually had himself or his crew move my seat for me anytime I needed. Great service throughout. I can't remember Paul's last name, but professional to the core - like could be pulling tours on SingAir as an in-flight sup. - he had that level of prof. Anyway, he assured me he would report the problem and it would be addressed. No complaining by me or expectation of compensation. I assumed Paul was a shining star and once the issue made it into the hopper I would never hear about it again. Within 24hrs. I received the following e-mail and deposit:

"On behalf of Continental Airlines, I would like to express our sincere apologies
for any inconvenience due to inoperable of our seat reclining aboard CO7 / 26DEC, from Houston to Narita. Although we fell short of your expectation, please be assured this occurrence will be noted and the appropriate corrective measures will be taken.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. I have requested to put additional 10,000 miles as a gesture of concern. Should you have any questions or need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

We value your business and look forward to welcoming you again aboard another Continental flight soon.

Sincerely yours,
<deleted>
International Concierge
Continental Airlines, Narita, Japan"

They were not EQM's, but I passed 1K on that flight anyway, so made no difference to me. I was impressed with the in-flight handling and follow-up.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:03 pm

Location: Kapalua, Maui- just paradise and Sun Valley, Idaho!!
Programs: Mileage Plus 1K .96MM (1MM this year-humm)
On SFO to OGG on 1-3-12. 4 1/2 hour delay for mechanical problems. Received $250 cert. for future travel. I was happy.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA PLT, AA PLT, Hilton SLV
ORD-BOS FA spilled wine on me in first. not a big deal i was wearing dark jeans cleaned up fine she was very gracious that i had a sense of humor and handed me an appreciation card and a bottle of wine at the end of service. 3500 RDM/ $75 e-cert for domestic / 10% off e-cert for anywhere in the united network. I took the 75$ and added the bottle of pinot to my mom wine rack. reminded me that I only have a few months to spend the $500 in certs i have from VDB last year.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 2:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Cool

Originally Posted by genemk2

Got 2 Skykits on the way home on 1/3, for two different flights.

1st one was b/c the 777 old-config didn't have any seat power on a 9hr int'l flight (which was a pain b/c my laptop battery only lasts 3.5 hrs, and I actually needed to get work done). Offered 9k miles, $200 e-cert, 20% off (took the $200).

Experienced the same problem on my 10 hour flight. No power, no light, headphone does not work (basically the whole suite was down), for everyone sat at the economy plus section. Offered 9k miles, $200 e-cert, 20% off and I took the $200. But I suspect non 1-K passengers are offered less. Imagine reading a book without your reading light for 9 hours, that is, if you were lucky and brought a hard copied book
Old Jan 7, 2012, 4:10 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, BA EC Gold, TK Elite, KL Silver
No status with UA, but *A Gold. Got a $250 systemwide voucher (+hotel for overnight delay) for rebooking to the next day due to mechanical problems delay in late November. I'm ok with that.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1P
Today on UA648 ORD-LGA, we had to deplane and board a substitute when they couldn't get one of the doors to close. We ended up departing about three and a half hours late, compounded by delays transferring bags and their failure to remember to transfer the catering. (We ended up going without catering, which meant the snacks in F were limited to bags of pretzels, but by that point we were all happy just to take off.) The flight attendants handed out SkyKits in F, and I had an apology email waiting when we landed. Offered 9K miles, $200 domestic cert, or 10% economy coupon; I took the $200. I wasn't pleased with the bumbling on the ground, but the proactive apology was unexpected and quick.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 10:28 pm

1+ hour mx would have meant missing connection. I arranged moving to direct flight which arrived at same time as original connection. Proactively received 9k rdm for 650 mi. flight booked in s or l.

Last edited by #10; Jan 7, 2012 at 10:35 pm
Old Jan 8, 2012, 3:37 am

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
UA965 cancelled again

woke up at 7am to start heading to airport and didnt check till 8 that as of 5am the flight got cancelled - never made it out of IAD...
This used to be a daily flight (i think), now next one is only on Wd.
Got to the airport with 3 bags 23,24,26kg each - free on UA as 1K, not so on LH...
They rebooked me on LH DME-FRA-EWR flight, which gets into US only 1h later, but I had to repack my things and pay extra for the bag...

the appreciation site offered me $250/10k/20%.. I didnt accept it yet, seems low to me (last time UA964 returned to IAD with me and I got $600).

Send email to 1k asking for different offer as well as bag fee compensation...
we will see..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.