Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Transfer miles from Chase or Marriott to UA
Beware for Chase this is an one-way transfer and for Marriott the return would lose points
This can take a few hours to a few days
Mile/Points transfers between UA & Marriott via RewardPlus - Questions/Experiences

Purchase Miles from UA
Currently, at 3.75 cents per mile, an expensive program but often has significant sales where miles are 2 to 2.5 cents per mile
This can take a few days

Award Accelerator
This is a more complex process but generally runs 2 to 2.5 cents per mile but hard to buy a specific amount
Miles post in a few hours at the most
Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions

Transfer miles from another UA account
This costs 1.5 cents per mile (plus $30 fee)
Miles will post within 1 day
Generally considered a bad deal, as you can purchase the miles at about 2 cpm and not lose the miles in the other account
Short miles for award, What about transferring from another account? Alternatives?

Miles from Purchases (for small amounts)
Either via MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles
or MileagePlus Shopping
Posting time is variable

Credit Card signup bonuses
Cheapest approach but requires getting card approval and likely some card usage

An alternative is Book with Money and Miles -- What is the "Book with Money and Miles" option ?

Additional ways to earn miles
Also the slowest, as this will take months

e-Rewards® Opinion Panel

Print Wikipost

Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: IB Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, NH Titanium
Originally Posted by henrus
I've got specific dates in mind as there is a specific time I need to be in Taiwan so I thought I might as well add on a few extra destinations (Qantas points from Tapei to Osaka, then burn the United points to get back to Taiwan).
I would go with Opinions Miles Club or MyPoints then – they credit you the miles in a day or two. If it doesn't work then go to Economist (I didn't notice they only credit you the points after 60 days).

Have safe travels, you are going to great places!
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by henrus
United also allows layovers up to 24 hours so I figure why not spend 24 hours in a new city (well I've been to Seoul before but Okinawa or Sapporo would be new) - would be nice if you could force long layovers on the United site.
Beware that if you piece together an award via multi-city UA will charge you separately for each piece. There are ther threads that discuss this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:53 pm
Original Member

Today is the last day to transfer miles with a $30 waiver of the processing fee (Minimum transfer is 500 miles for $7.50)

Promotional offer valid until 11:59 p.m. CT on January 18, 2019.
  • There is no processing fee per transaction.
  • Displayed prices include all discounts.
  • GST/HST is charged to Canadian residents.
  • Limit of 100,000 miles per transaction.
  • Miles can be transferred in 500 mile increments between 500 and 5,000 miles, and in 1,000 mile increments from 5,000 to 100,000 miles.
  • Give up to 100,000 miles to each recipient's account per calendar year. No recipient may receive more than 100,000 miles from any other MileagePlus account or combination of account in any calendar year.
  • Maximum transfer of up to 100,000 miles per calendar year out of one account.
  • Allow up to 48 hours for the miles to post to each recipient's account.
  • Your credit card will be billed immediately for purchase.
  • Powered by Points to purchase United MileagePlus miles. Transaction will appear as 'Points United Miles'.
  • Mileage rates and other applicable fees are subject to change.
  • Minimum transfer 500 miles per account.
  • Transactions are non-refundable.
  • All MileagePlus Program Rules and terms and conditions apply.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Know anyone in the US you'd like to send flowers to? 20 miles per $, so you'd need to spend $13 to get your 260 miles.

https://shopping.mileageplus.com/me____.htm?gmid=4507
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by sggolf
Today is the last day to transfer miles with a $30 waiver of the processing fee (Minimum transfer is 500 miles for $7.50)

Promotional offer valid until 11:59 p.m. CT on January 18, 2019.

I'm still seeing the $30 fee? Possibly a limited promotion.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:44 pm
Original Member

Sorry, I was sent the following email. To do transfer, you need to log into your account and it shows minimum of 500 miles costs $7.50 to transfer

Transfer miles today to someone special and save $30 on the processing fee.
Don't miss out on a chance to bring everyone together. For a limited time, you can save $30 on the processing fee when you transfer miles. Make incredible memories, all with your miles. Offer valid until 11:59 p.m. CT on January 18, 2019.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:04 am

Figured out I didn't need the miles anyway...

The same journey Osaka (KIX) - Taipei (TPE) can be done with a stop in Okinawa for fewer miles... Instead of the 15,000 miles (+$37 taxes) needed, I was able to get it for 13,000.

5000 miles (and no taxes) for the Osaka to Okinawa flight then 8000 miles (and $20 taxes) for the Okinawa to Tapei flight.

So not only was 2,000 miles cheaper via Okinawa but also $17 less then what they wanted for the direct flight from Osaka. You learn something new every day
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 3:13 am

How to quickly get 1000 points

Something happened on my Marriott transfer, now I am short 1K miles on my flight. Does anyone have a good recommendation for getting that 1000 miles quickly? I already wiped out my Chase and Marriott points.

Transfer is almost as expensive as buying (.04 cents now)

Thanks
Old Aug 30, 2019, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mattack4000
Something happened on my Marriott transfer, now I am short 1K miles on my flight. Does anyone have a good recommendation for getting that 1000 miles quickly? I already wiped out my Chase and Marriott points.

Transfer is almost as expensive as buying (.04 cents now)

Thanks
See the mileage plus app thread and or the premier accelerator thread for great tips.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, AMEX Plat
Use the MileagePlusX app for a gift card purchase. Miles are deposited instantly.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 10:50 am

It works, you are awesome
Old Sep 8, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA, AS, IHG
Purchasing miles through an existing reservation - timing

I'm trying to book a really big award (4x business class round trips to Asia)

Surprisingly, I'm finding availability (not ideal routing, but good enough), but despite a year of effort, I'm still like 50k points short.

On an existing reservation, I am presented an option to purchase extra miles at a price much lower than the terrible regular price. But I need the points nowish, and not after I take the flight .

If I use one of these purchase extra miles offers, when will I get the miles? Immediately? Or when I get home?
Old Sep 8, 2019, 6:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by shelanman

Surprisingly, I'm finding availability (not ideal routing, but good enough), but despite a year of effort, I'm still like 50k points short.

On an existing reservation, I am presented an option to purchase extra miles at a price much lower than the terrible regular price. But I need the points nowish, and not after I take the flight .
If I use one of these purchase extra miles offers, when will I get the miles? Immediately? Or when I get home?
This is called the Award Accelerator. These miles post within hours of purchase and generally are priced around 2 cpm and much better than UA's Purchase Personal Miles (3.5 cpm plus a fee -- terrible rate)

Another option for miles are credit card sign-up bonuses, however, those can take months to post and the award opportunity may disappear/

The Award Accelerator is generally the best option for someone in your circumstances.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by shelanman

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This is called the Award Accelerator. These miles post within hours of purchase and generally are priced around 2 cpm and much better than UA's Purchase Personal Miles (3.5 cpm plus a fee -- terrible rate)

Another option for miles are credit card sign-up bonuses, however, those can take months to post and the award opportunity may disappear/

The Award Accelerator is generally the best option for someone in your circumstances.
One other thought. Do you have points that can be transferred to United, such as Chase Ultimate Rewards? Those transfers are quick and are 1:1 ratio.
I think there are others (Marriott?), but probably at a pretty poor conversion rate.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 1:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I think there are others (Marriott?), but probably at a pretty poor conversion rate.
Marriott is actually a pretty good conversion rate. 60k Marriott equals 27,500 UA. Usually takes a day or two, but nothing is ever guaranteed with Marriott IT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.