Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by bocastephen
2/4 UA7 IAH NRT - PMCO777 so I don't think it was available
It is available on the pmCO 772s in J. Under "AUDIO," select "FROM THE FLIGHT DECK." But many of the pmCO captains either aren't aware or aren't interested in having it on. Of course now with the unified contract, it can be either a pmCO or pmUA captain in charge.

The switch is in the same place on the overhead panel, and requires the left jumpseater position's #1 VHR radio to be selected and audio faded up.
bocastephen and Imstevek like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by wxguy
It is available on the pmCO 772s in J. Under "AUDIO," select "FROM THE FLIGHT DECK." But many of the pmCO captains either aren't aware or aren't interested in having it on. Of course now with the unified contract, it can be either a pmCO or pmUA captain in charge.

The switch is in the same place on the overhead panel, and requires the left jumpseater position's #1 VHR radio to be selected and audio faded up.
I could not find it on the pmCO 772 but after the flight Austin747 said on this thread that you have to have the inflight map open to be able to find it.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond, Marriott Platinum
UA 314 LAX > DEN 772 ^ On at the gate. Man I forgot how great CH9 was. It too was the reason I started flying UA. Hope they bring it back domestically somehow.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
UA871 SFO-TPE 777-300ER 22Feb.

The captain wandered through the J cabin greeting pax before departure.
"Hi, Captain, would you be kind enough to make Channel 9 available?"
"There's nothing to hear after take-off so it won't be available on this flight."
"Any chance of through take-off and once again when reaching Asia control?"
"IT WON'T BE AVAILABLE ON THIS FLIGHT."
Alrighty then.

Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by wxguy
UA871 SFO-TPE 777-300ER 22Feb.

The captain wandered through the J cabin greeting pax before departure.
"Hi, Captain, would you be kind enough to make Channel 9 available?"
"There's nothing to hear after take-off so it won't be available on this flight."
"Any chance of through take-off and once again when reaching Asia control?"
"IT WON'T BE AVAILABLE ON THIS FLIGHT."
Alrighty then.

The attitude is unnecessary - Capt discretion or not, I would be writing in to complain about the exchange.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Perfect streak this trip

UA 1676 SFO-EWR On gate to gate
UA 134 EWR-ZRH On (I asked the FA to pass a request to the captain for it when boarding)
UA 135 ZRH-EWR On (asked captain, he was in the cabin -- he even told me to make sure to go to the maps page to hear it)
UA 1584 EWR-SFO On (asked FA, crew invited me to the cockpit)

Last edited by Ryu2; Mar 27, 2019 at 12:32 am
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA
UA415, LAX-EWR 772
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:25 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
3/12 UA 957 GVA-EWR 767-300: Asked the flight attendant if it would be on and was curtly told no
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
I try to make an effort to go up to the cockpit and ask the captain personally, success rate is 80%!
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
March 14 UA 862 HKG-SFO 👍 gate to gate.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:00 pm

On a recent Ch-9 provided flight, I was listening when the captain came on the PA to do his welcome announcement. It was very detailed, informative, and welcoming. Unfortunately, he transmitted it on the ATC center frequency instead of the PA When done, a lot of pilots chimed in with "Hey! Nice job!" "I just learned how to do a great PA!" and "Thanks for welcoming us. Now, try your passengers!" Oops.

A minute later, he was on the "real" PA, and did it all over again, as if nothing happened. A while later, he sent back business cards with thank-you notes.

A great captain, and nice recovery!
bocastephen, nnn, choch345 and 6 others like this.

Last edited by wxguy; Mar 25, 2019 at 3:13 pm
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
I think it's been years since I've been on a flight with Ch9 turned on although I always check on the planes that are equipped, it's just never on. I'm pretty much always in Economy so don't feel like I should push my way all the way up to the front of the plane to ask. Maybe I should start? Or do you just ask a flight attendant? The last time I did that they looked at me like I'd spoken in tongues.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Is Channel 9 not installed on all the sUA 777-200ERs? I had thought it was an option on all of them, but I couldn’t find it on the last one that I was on (neither on the Main Menu or the Audio section).
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by econ
Is Channel 9 not installed on all the sUA 777-200ERs? I had thought it was an option on all of them, but I couldn’t find it on the last one that I was on (neither on the Main Menu or the Audio section).
It should be the last selection in Audio -- "From the Flight Deck."
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
On the new reconfigured 772 aircraft, it is under the entertainment option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.