Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
I was just wondering, does the issue of Ch9 come up during any of the cockpit checklists?
If not I might be shooting myself in the leg when asking the captain for it during boarding, as I am actually reminding him to turn it off while otherwise he might of just forgotten it on?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:34 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by ELAL
I was just wondering, does the issue of Ch9 come up during any of the cockpit checklists?
If not I might be shooting myself in the leg when asking the captain for it during boarding, as I am actually reminding him to turn it off while otherwise he might of just forgotten it on?
I haven't flown a UA cockpit jumpseat since 2001, but before then, it was NOT on the checklist.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
The one time I flew a 77W, CH9 was on but it seemed like it had multiple frequencies tuned in because I constantly heard people talking over eachother. Maybe it was a one time bug.

I got my last 744 flight next week, I'm going to see about visiting the cockpit before the flight. Maybe I can get the captain to turn in Ch9 or "accidentally" bump into the switch Actually, last time I was on a 744, the captain told me it was broken. I guess they aren't going to bother fixing stuff like that.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I now started my own list of captains that put it on TPAC or TATL flights. I only started this on my last 2 TPAC flights so only have two to count (one no, one yes) but I have 6 more of those flights in the next three months so will check if those same captains show up with the same behavior. It's generally the same kind of plane (772) so in addition to that I should try to find out how many captains United have for those planes. Any idea?
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by StuckinITH

UA 953 MUC-ORD 05Dec17 My wife asked the captain who was extremely nice and said yes. Unfortunately, the only thing that you could hear was that telltale sound that indicates it's on but not transmitting. Then, looking at my file on United planes, I realized that we had flown the same plane last year (772 plane #2894 ) on the HKG-ORD route and the same thing happened.
It's likely that the enabling switch was on, but the #1VHF radio at the left jumpseater's position was not faded up. Both must happen to allow passengers to hear ATC. The fact that it happened twice on the same aircraft months apart is just a coincidence.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by wxguy
It's likely that the enabling switch was on, but the #1VHF radio at the left jumpseater's position was not faded up. Both must happen to allow passengers to hear ATC. The fact that it happened twice on the same aircraft months apart is just a coincidence.
Thank you for the explanation! Just shows that I know nothing about planes. I just sit in them hoping that they get me to my destination without significant delays.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
My wife asked the captain who said yes.
Maybe this is the key to ch9 success.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Dec 6 351 BOS-SFO on and announced as "one of the older 757's that still has channel 9" ....
Old Dec 7, 2017, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Imstevek
Dec 6 351 BOS-SFO on and announced as "one of the older 757's that still has channel 9" ....
Just out of curiosity I looked up the manufacture dates...
  • The sUA 757-200s that DO have Channel 9 range from vintage 1989 to 1999.
  • The sCO 757-200s that do not have Channel 9 range from vintage 1994 to 2000.
  • The sCO 757-300s that do not have Channel 9 range from vintage 2001 to 2005.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 3:20 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Besides manufacturing dates, are all 752s in service on p.s. routes with 28 lie-flat configuration equipped for Ch. 9, or are some of the 28 lie-flat 752s configured thus from the s/CO no ch.9 stock?
Old Dec 8, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
Besides manufacturing dates, are all 752s in service on p.s. routes with 28 lie-flat configuration equipped for Ch. 9, or are some of the 28 lie-flat 752s configured thus from the s/CO no ch.9 stock?
Yes — all 28J 752s are from sUA stock and have channel 9
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:06 am

1/14/18 UA836 PVG-ORD on a 772. No. I asked a flight attendant who immediately answered that the captain would not put Channel 9 on because with social media you can tape everything. Later on, I mentioned to the captain that the part I most enjoy about flying United is the possibility to listen to Channel 9. He answered that the new planes don't have channel 9. What do I care about new planes when I still have to fly on a 772 with the 2-4-2 configuration in Business? If this 772 is a new plane (#2704), it's rather sad. And the screen was showing the availability of Channel 9.
The brand new 777-300ERs (77Ws) arrive from the factory with "From the Flight Deck" (aka Channel 9) installed.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by wxguy
The brand new 777-300ERs (77Ws) arrive from the factory with "From the Flight Deck" (aka Channel 9) installed.
Good to know. Now I have to read all the previous posts to check if someone flying in those planes reported Channel 9 being on. However, it's going to be a long time before I see the inside of a 777-300ER. My two next trips to Asia from ORD in Polaris Business are still on 772s.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
The CO 772's have it and it works quite well, when enabled.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:37 am

Good to know. Now I have to read all the previous posts to check if someone flying in those planes reported Channel 9 being on. However, it's going to be a long time before I see the inside of a 777-300ER. My two next trips to Asia from ORD in Polaris Business are still on 772s.
I've been on two 77W flights with Channel 9 on -- one TPAC (SFO-HKG) and the other domestic. It's all about the pilot and his/her attitude. Some love it, some hate it, some are indifferent and will put it on if asked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.