Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Overseas/traveling 1K members can call US 1K line for free from abroad

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overseas/traveling 1K members can call US 1K line for free from abroad

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2008, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MR Plat Elite
Originally Posted by holtju2
And when UA is actually paying $$$ for the calls you get to bypass the HAL and connected to a live human (not ICC one ) instantaneously.
Excellent! I'll just programmed Skype to get an overseas dial tone, then dial the AT&T intl access code and then dial the 1K desk. No more HAL for me!

FB
Old Jul 21, 2008, 7:41 pm

Programs: WWMFD
For Japan:

The website only lists numbers for KDDI and Softbank services. If you're on DoCoMo it looks like you're SOL.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 8:13 pm
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by flying_bubba
Excellent! I'll just programmed Skype to get an overseas dial tone, then dial the AT&T intl access code and then dial the 1K desk. No more HAL for me!
with Skype you should just directly dial +1 800 xxx xxxx, no need for AT&T access.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 9:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by FLYDCA
They do tell us or least me. It was included in the information packet with my 1K card. I just ripped the page out and carry it in my travel bag now. I'm surprised that this comes as a surprise to so many people. This was something new for 1K's in 2008.

Emphasis based on other's input is that it's NEW for this year. I was 1K for several years & we didn't have the same bennie. So while I'm glad for you, don't understand the 'surprise for so many people'.

But if seanthepilot is correct that if you dial into the 1K # & then get rerouted to the 1P line, I have no problem dialing into the 1K line since it's about the only one I have memorized & doing a trial on the new method. I was 1K for several years & just lost it this year. And before everyone says oh you're not being fair to UA etc, etc, etc (yawn), there are lots of ways they've done the same to us (ie, not been fair) - even those of us who were legit 1K (and not even the lite that others like to complain about).

OVMV. Cheers.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
This only works for land lines though, right? I mean, if you have a US cell phone any call, even local, is charged a per minute rate that will add up. Use a land line and it should work.

Last edited by flyinbob; Jul 21, 2008 at 10:43 pm
Old Jul 21, 2008, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On that card in the 2008 1K kit they also list a toll access number, so while not free of charge certainly helpful for some who cannot access AT&TDirect or 800 numbers.

"For countries not listed, please dial our International Toll Access number at 1-605-nnn-nnnn....(Collect calls cannot be accepted.)"

Here in Thailand, using a local mobile phone service provider, there were no local access fees or per minute charges for dialing the AT&TDirect access number.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by cpx
those international access codes (for AT&T or any other company) don't always work from all phones and rarely work from hotel phones.
I have never used AT&T access numbers, but I can safely say that I have yet to find a hotel phone in any country that I can't get a Sprint access number to work from. I use them very frequently - never a problem.

^ to UA for this - I too did not know.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 8:09 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

But if seanthepilot is correct that if you dial into the 1K # & then get rerouted to the 1P line, I have no problem dialing into the 1K line since it's about the only one I have memorized & doing a trial on the new method.

OVMV. Cheers.
When you dial using this new Benefit you get a live person right off the bat so there is no opportunity to be re-routed. I'm guesssing that if you try this and you are not a 1K that they will tell you to call back via another means but I don't know anyone who has tested it.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by FLYDCA
I'm guesssing that if you try this and you are not a 1K that they will tell you to call back via another means but I don't know anyone who has tested it.
I can tell you that THIS guess is wrong.
Dave
Old Dec 10, 2008, 12:30 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
I believe it DOES work !

Last edited by Downunder girl; Dec 10, 2008 at 12:50 am
Old Dec 10, 2008, 12:41 am

Location: NRT/HND, IWK, SAT, BWI, NAP, OKA, AUS, DEN, COS and PUB
Programs: UA 1K.. 1MM
for those that care, here's a printable wallet card from att with all the numbers:
http://www.usa.att.com/traveler/asse...t_wallcard.pdf
Old Dec 10, 2008, 7:36 am

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)
this worked for a few days in my "escape from Bangkok" trip, but then the At+T number started asking for a card number ,

I ended up having to call the 800 number on my dime from my cell as an overseas call,

so can others confirm it still works without an AT+T account

thanks

Rally
Old Dec 10, 2008, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Well, I just got my cell bill with European roaming charges. If I had knonw this, I could have saved about $25-28. My bad for not being better informed.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 8:27 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Never mind.

Last edited by Palal; Dec 10, 2008 at 8:58 pm
Old Jan 25, 2009, 11:06 am
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
just thought I would bump this informational thread up again, being the new year and people may have received their new 1K status.

However, I notice that in the new 1K packet, there is no longer an info card about this overseas free 1K dialing service. Can anyone confirm that it's still working ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.