Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Overseas/traveling 1K members can call US 1K line for free from abroad

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overseas/traveling 1K members can call US 1K line for free from abroad

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2008, 12:13 pm
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
My 'guess' is that it's not a 1K thing since it's being done via the AT&T access #, but that's just a guess. Cheers.
I believe though, that UA pays to have their 1K 800 number as a no charge access from abroad through AT&T, because I remember trying some other company 800 numbers and they did not work without a calling card input. So it would be up to UA to give this benefit to the 1P line, for example.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by TA
I believe though, that UA pays to have their 1K 800 number as a no charge access from abroad through AT&T, because I remember trying some other company 800 numbers and they did not work without a calling card input. So it would be up to UA to give this benefit to the 1P line, for example.

Well it would be nice if UA actually told 1Ks that they do it! I was 1K for years & always dialed the 1K 800# on my cell phone & got hit w/ charges vs doing the method above from cell or hotel phone.

I'm routing through LHR in September so I'll try the 1P line using AT&T access as a test and report back unless someone has posted before then.

Cheers.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Do ATT international access calls work on mobile phones as well?
Old Jul 20, 2008, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I will try from Hong Kong and China in the next couple of days and report back
Old Jul 20, 2008, 2:15 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well it would be nice if UA actually told 1Ks that they do it!
Instructions came this year in the kit with the card. It is new this year, I believe.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 4:53 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Well it would be nice if UA actually told 1Ks that they do it! I was 1K for years & always dialed the 1K 800# on my cell phone & got hit w/ charges vs doing the method above from cell or hotel phone.

I'm routing through LHR in September so I'll try the 1P line using AT&T access as a test and report back unless someone has posted before then.

Cheers.
Maybe your cell phone will get hit, but if you dial an 800 # from a landline you should have no charge.

And as Ari posted, there was a large stiff card in the 1K pack this year giving all the free foreign numbers.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 7:24 pm

Programs: United 1K/MM (since 2003), Marriott Platinum
Personally i find it easier to use Skype to call the 1K desk when traveling internationally. Get to call home and work and everyone else using it too - its just easier all around, not to mention extremely affordable
Old Jul 20, 2008, 11:18 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
The 1K line also works for all membership levels. Now that you have to plug in your number, it shuffles you to the right department (PremEx line, in my case)
Old Jul 21, 2008, 2:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by TA
Tried it once, asked for a calling card, never used it again.

I was not impressed.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Works from a mobile phone in Thailand, 1800000133, no local access charges. Only worked for me on the 1K number, tried other toll free numbers and was prompted for the calling card number and PIN. Excellent voice quality, experienced agent picked up after zero rings! Thanks for sharing this information.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by seanthepilot
The 1K line also works for all membership levels. Now that you have to plug in your number, it shuffles you to the right department (PremEx line, in my case)
True, but this 1P doesn't have the 1K number to call. I can't believe I lost my cellphone with the GS number stored in it!

goodo
Old Jul 21, 2008, 3:42 pm
TA
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Grace B
Tried it once, asked for a calling card, never used it again....I was not impressed.
perhaps you were doing something wrong -- this was overseas, and you dialed just "800-xxx-xxxx" after the voice prompt? Maybe try again since others report success.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,

Cheers.

They do tell us or least me. It was included in the information packet with my 1K card. I just ripped the page out and carry it in my travel bag now. I'm surprised that this comes as a surprise to so many people. This was something new for 1K's in 2008.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 4:35 pm
TA
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FLYDCA
They do tell us or least me. It was included in the information packet with my 1K card. I just ripped the page out and carry it in my travel bag now. I'm surprised that this comes as a surprise to so many people. This was something new for 1K's in 2008.
yes, it was new, and the thing was that it looked like just another card with UA general/premier reservation numbers in foreign countries (to someone looking at it casually in the US, who wouldn't otherwise care too much). They didn't highlight that it was something completely new where you could call the US line from abroad.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 5:29 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Note that many European hotels still charge a bundle for access to a 'free'
call, like the AT&T access number.

Another way to reach reservations is using Skype. All U.S. toll-free numbers are free on Skype, no matter from where you make the call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.