Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Please Accept Our Apology" (Online Replacement for Skykit) Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Please Accept Our Apology" (Online Replacement for Skykit) Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2008, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
Interesting Skykit choices

Spent 9 hours on the ground in SMF due to a mechanical issue last week and was given a Skykit form. When I went on-line to process it, my choices were:

1) $200 travel credit
2) 20% off any UA flight
3) 17,500 RDMs
4) 2 e500s

I took the RDMs as I value them at 2c/mile as I've already got plenty of travel vouchers. I don't buy tix that are expensive enough for the 20% off to worth it (and am a little suspicious as to which fares the discount would apply to).

Given that anyone could confirm an upgrade with space available well in advance of a domestic flight with 15K miles (leaving another 2.5K miles in the bank), why would anyone be interested in 2 e500s instead? Is UAL just wanting to see how stupid some people could be by selecting 2 e500s?

(I could see the rare case of a flyer who consistently flies a route of 500 miles and could upgrade two flights using the e500s, but this seems pretty extreme.)
Old Mar 15, 2008, 9:40 pm

Programs: Affilated with the orders of I need to rest, doctor's orders!
Originally Posted by fzwinter
Spent 9 hours on the ground in SMF due to a mechanical issue last week and was given a Skykit form. When I went on-line to process it, my choices were:

1) $200 travel credit
2) 20% off any UA flight
3) 17,500 RDMs
4) 2 e500s

I took the RDMs as I value them at 2c/mile as I've already got plenty of travel vouchers. I don't buy tix that are expensive enough for the 20% off to worth it (and am a little suspicious as to which fares the discount would apply to).

Given that anyone could confirm an upgrade with space available well in advance of a domestic flight with 15K miles (leaving another 2.5K miles in the bank), why would anyone be interested in 2 e500s instead? Is UAL just wanting to see how stupid some people could be by selecting 2 e500s?

(I could see the rare case of a flyer who consistently flies a route of 500 miles and could upgrade two flights using the e500s, but this seems pretty extreme.)
Wow, nine hours. UA couldn't get you out on any other airline?
Wow, was this from a customer appreciation card, or is this a new card form? Could you share the address you went to?
Old Mar 15, 2008, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hsxagent
Wow, nine hours. UA couldn't get you out on any other airline?
Wow, was this from a customer appreciation card, or is this a new card form? Could you share the address you went to?
This was the standard customer appreciation card sent to www.ual.com/appreciation

I was traveling (or at least trying to travel) with my mother who was flying with me in XY from my miles, so there weren't any options for her to take another carrier. Complicating things was the fact that our ultimate destination was CLE, where the airport had been shut down the previous day because of the snowstorm, so there were no flights into Ohio at all. My mother ended up scrapping her trip because the earliest she could get to CLE was late in the evening two days later. I fortunately had a very sympathetic GA who managed to "find" a way for me to fly to CMH from ORD the next morning.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm, so this was a standard customer appreciation form (former skykits)? Do you remember what tier it was? I thought they were pretty standardized regardless of why the delay happened, but I guess not...
Old Mar 15, 2008, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Hmm, so this was a standard customer appreciation form (former skykits)? Do you remember what tier it was?
Customer Appreciation Tier F

I also managed a $150 "inconvenience" voucher and op-ups from SMF-ORD and ORD-CMH as well as meal credits and overnight lodging (Renaissance) in Chicago.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 12:33 am

Programs: UA 1k
All First Class Pax get a appreciation token...

....for a screaming child in coach. The child was screaming but nothing out of the ordinary. The flight was barely over an hr.

Before landing the FA came around and gave everyone a PAOA to all in FC...funny in opinion....kids scream and the parents their best to quiet them....not complaining but wanted to post it...
Old Mar 16, 2008, 1:11 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by gumnaam
....for a screaming child in coach. The child was screaming but nothing out of the ordinary. The flight was barely over an hr.

Before landing the FA came around and gave everyone a PAOA to all in FC...funny in opinion....kids scream and the parents their best to quiet them....not complaining but wanted to post it...
What is a PAOA please.

So the screaming child in coach was pretty noticeable in F! Bet you were glad you were not flying across the pond in F.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 1:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat
Wirelessly posted (xx: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3)

It's good to see that these options are clearly better than the
1)$50 off
2)10% off
3)5k miles
Etc
That everyone else has been getting.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 1:40 am

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
That's interesting... I had a 20+ hour delay at O'Hare on the ORD-HKG flight in January due to a mechanical (including 6+ hours in the plane), mailed in the Skykit form that we were given (which said, by the way, "my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused by the delay of Flight 851"-- idiots). I also followed up with customer relations to note the complete indifference and unprofessionalism of the RCC agents that night.

Anyway, it's been nearly 2 months and haven't heard anything yet.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 1:47 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by fzwinter
Spent 9 hours on the ground in SMF due to a mechanical issue last week and was given a Skykit form...
Can you elaborate on the type and looks of that thingie?

My last one was paper and could only be mailed it.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 3:08 am

Programs: 1P, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
What is a PAOA please
Assuming this is a reference to the new skykit replacement entitled "Please Accept Our Apology" that directs to united.com/appreciation
Old Mar 16, 2008, 3:17 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
That's nothing...I heard that if someone in the last row of the planes has flatulance, they give you (2) of them...after all, the air is recirculated.

I really hope there was something more to this. UA apologizing for the distracting but normal behavior of it's passengers. I would love to see the pursurs explanation of this as a "flight of note" to UA mgmt. I mean, "I am sorry you misconnected and have to spend the night in a hotel on your dime...it was ATC and out of our hands, but wait...did you say a baby in a different section cried? Well we can contoll that...please accept this certificate as an apology."

Last edited by fastair; Mar 16, 2008 at 3:31 am
Old Mar 16, 2008, 3:50 am

Programs: 1P, HH Diamond
No special meal (DEN-SFO), was offered:

$25 E-Certificate
10% Off Economy E-Certificate
3000 bonus miles
Old Mar 16, 2008, 8:11 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry 8800: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.10031/286; U; en))

Interesting. What's the comp if a adult is screaming/crying? (And it has happened to me before, a few times)
Old Mar 16, 2008, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by weero
Can you elaborate on the type and looks of that thingie?

My last one was paper and could only be mailed it.
It's a paper form that allows you to put the flight info on, then sends you to a website (www.ual.com/appreciation) where you have several days to enter the info there. Probably no need to even keep the paper form since it can be done on-line, provided you know the URL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.