Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Please Accept Our Apology" (Online Replacement for Skykit) Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Please Accept Our Apology" (Online Replacement for Skykit) Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2008, 11:16 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
In October we flew HNL-ORD; the flight was somewhat delayed, and they handed out skykits to the entire plane (a full 772)^

We got "international" skykits. Filled it out, gave it to the FA, and we had vouchers in our mailbox by the time we returned to HI. I got $350 (1K in F), Mrs. got $250 (2P in F).

The on-line version sounds like it would cut out a lot of paperwork!
Old Feb 14, 2008, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Pat89339
I received one of the new online skykit forms on a flight last night where they failed to board my special meal (it was a snack flight).

I filled out the on line form and was offered my choice of:

4,000 bonus miles
1 500 mile ecert
10% off my next flight (good through 4/29/09)
$50 ecert

I took the $50 ecert, as it had the best value for me.
Pat ... was your flight domestic or international?

I was given the same exact same options for a flight from SFO-NRT with a broken overhead light and faulty call bell button. Essentially the circuitry for the entire middle section of the plane was faulty and no one's overhead lights worked.

I am not sure if FC had any problems but I was in C and was told by the FA that the entire middle section of C and Y were also affected.

In my opinion, the options offered for the inconveniences were miserable and I wrote in. I was politely told by CR that all 1Ks were given the same options and that I should accept any one option as it was a measure of goodwill on their part for the problems I encountered on the flight. As usual, "my business is important and they look forward to serving me again under more pleasant circumstances"
Old Feb 14, 2008, 9:36 pm

For a broken C seat NRT-SFO (as a 1P), the new system offered me a whopping $45. Call Customer Service, and got them to up the ante to $250 ... still woefully inadequate IMHO, but a far cry better than the automated system.

BTW, on a NRT-SFO flight within the last year, a broken audio system yielded $300 via traditional Skykit. Go Figure!
Old Feb 25, 2008, 2:00 am

Programs: UA Gold, HHonors Diamond
2/24 ORD to SFO, the entire plane's audio/video was broken. The whole plane got the /appreciation website postcard.

I just did it - $35 credit, or 4000 miles. I'm a 1P. Wow. Things must be getting tight @ United.

Disappointing..

Old skykit system was better in my opinion.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 5:35 am

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by psubill78
2/24 ORD to SFO, the entire plane's audio/video was broken. The whole plane got the /appreciation website postcard.

I just did it - $35 credit, or 4000 miles. I'm a 1P. Wow. Things must be getting tight @ United.

Disappointing..

Sounds like we flew the same aircraft yesterday (mine on the way to ORD and yours on the way back to SFO). I just got the exact same offer ($35 e-cert, 10% off e-cert or 4,000 RDMs) for broken audio and video in paid first class as a 1P on SFO-ORD yesterday.

Big on the compensation amount. I am not choosing any of these and will call Customer Relations later today. They can do better than this and they know it. It would have been $175 on the old sky kit form for a 1P. The new online versions "offer" an 80% reduction in compensation (82.5% for 1Ks)? I don't think so.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I picked up two new electronic "skykits" recently and will not use them online. I sent an e-mail to 1P Voice about one of the problems--inoperable audio LAX-FRA in Y-Class and got an e-mail back saying a $350 voucher will be mailed to me. This week I am going to reedem my second electronic skykit via e-mail to 1P Voice. to the new system.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 1:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, UA 2P
20K RDMs in Four Days is Better than a Pointed Stick in the Eye.

Over the past four days, I've flown eight domestic segments and collected four electronic Skykits. Two were for a broken or defective audio jack, one was for a broken toilet in F, and the fourth was for a broken loudspeaker system thaat did nothing but crackle and whine for a 90 minute flight.

I cashed them in online for 5K "CUSTOMER APPRECIATION TIER W" ) RDMs per e-Skykit, which essentially means I've been earning triple miles (miles flown plus 1K bonus plus Skykit bonus) this month.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by BillScann
Over the past four days, I've flown eight domestic segments and collected four electronic Skykits. Two were for a broken or defective audio jack, one was for a broken toilet in F, and the fourth was for a broken loudspeaker system thaat did nothing but crackle and whine for a 90 minute flight.

I cashed them in online for 5K "CUSTOMER APPRECIATION TIER W" ) RDMs per e-Skykit, which essentially means I've been earning triple miles (miles flown plus 1K bonus plus Skykit bonus) this month.
If you consider that you would have likely gotten $250 each for those audio issues through the phone, your 20k miles isn't worth much.

The new system, while fast, isn't as 'giving' as the phone complaints or the legacy skykits..
Old Feb 25, 2008, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Plat,Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott PP, National EE,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by psubill78

Disappointing..

I also got an appreciation form for broken audio on a SFO-ORD flight yesterday. I was offered either 5,000 miles, 10% off, or a $50 e-credit. I think a big difference is the new method does not ask for class of service, whereas in the past with the Skykit I found the compensation varied.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 5:10 pm

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Originally Posted by John26
Sounds like we flew the same aircraft yesterday (mine on the way to ORD and yours on the way back to SFO). I just got the exact same offer ($35 e-cert, 10% off e-cert or 4,000 RDMs) for broken audio and video in paid first class as a 1P on SFO-ORD yesterday.

Big on the compensation amount. I am not choosing any of these and will call Customer Relations later today. They can do better than this and they know it. It would have been $175 on the old sky kit form for a 1P. The new online versions "offer" an 80% reduction in compensation (82.5% for 1Ks)? I don't think so.
I just called "Premier Executive Customer Relations" and got the ICC. The gentleman was very polite and took notes on my issue. He apologized for the inconvenience of yesterday's flights and apologized for my disappointment with the lower compensation levels being offered. He said that they value my business as a Premier Executive and that he would be forwarding this to a Supervisor who will review and verify the specific information and call me back within 24-48 hours (no promise of whether the compensation would be increased to the old level).

I'm not pessimistic or optomostic about what will happen. Just waiting. I'll let you know what happens.

Honestly if I hadn't paid for First class it wouldn't have been such a big deal. But when the fare is that much higher, so are the customer's expectations, and so is the ability of the airline to compensate in a commensurate fashion for its screwups.

FWIW, the FA informed me that United is no longer repairing busted audio/video equipment on narrowbodies since it will be replaced within the next year with digital servers. Way to keep your customer base happy with your product for the next year, United
Old Feb 27, 2008, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by John26
I just called "Premier Executive Customer Relations" and got the ICC. The gentleman was very polite and took notes on my issue. He apologized for the inconvenience of yesterday's flights and apologized for my disappointment with the lower compensation levels being offered. He said that they value my business as a Premier Executive and that he would be forwarding this to a Supervisor who will review and verify the specific information and call me back within 24-48 hours (no promise of whether the compensation would be increased to the old level).

I'm not pessimistic or optomostic about what will happen. Just waiting. I'll let you know what happens.

Honestly if I hadn't paid for First class it wouldn't have been such a big deal. But when the fare is that much higher, so are the customer's expectations, and so is the ability of the airline to compensate in a commensurate fashion for its screwups.

FWIW, the FA informed me that United is no longer repairing busted audio/video equipment on narrowbodies since it will be replaced within the next year with digital servers. Way to keep your customer base happy with your product for the next year, United
Updating this thread as I promised. The ICC called me back 48 hours later as they said they would. Supervisor left me a brief voice mail. I called back after my meeting and was offered $175 which will be sent by mail (what a Premier Exec would normally get for a paper skykit on a domestic segment).

I would prefer that Premier Executives not be sent to the ICC for Customer Relations issue, but at least end result worked out. ^
Old Mar 4, 2008, 12:43 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Hilton HHonors
Did I get my very first skykit today?

So, I've been following the discussions about skykits, etc. I'm on UA 11 JFK-SFO with a tray table in C that threatens to dump my meal onto the floor because of the severe slant. There's one flight attendant that's giving me great service, so halfway through the flight I ask if I could get a skykit for that and some other issues or just a comment card so I could let them know about the maintenance issue.

She comes back with a card that has "Please accept our apology" at the top and a WZ number at the bottom. It's the united.com/appreciation link. I'm given three choices, 3,000 MP, an 10% off e-cert or $25 off e-cert. I chose the 10% e-cert.

So this sounds like a skykit, but it's not quite as impressive as the $200 ones some of you have talked about. Now, I wasn't really expecting anything at all, I just wanted to use the secret word and find out if I'd be allowed in the club.

Or is this some other kind of compensation instrument?
Old Mar 4, 2008, 12:49 am

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
this is the new and `enhanced´ skykit i believe..i got one on a recent SAN-IAD flight.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 12:52 am

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
This is the pathetic new replacement for the sky kits.

People used to shake their heads with glee at the way the old sky kits would offer generous compensation regardless of the severity of the problem encountered (although the amount would be adjusted for status and intl vs domestic).

Now with the replacements, they still don't adjust the amount of compensation and people still shake their heads . . .only now with disgust.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 12:56 am

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
perhaps we should start a thread discussing the various redemption offers..i am tempted to use the 10% off cert but cant decide.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.