Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki note about the forum’s several, active “Channel 9” threads.

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Chanel 9 of the audio entertainment system (“Channel 9”) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captain’s discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts you’re interested in.

1) This thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology.

2) A thread – intended as a basic status thread only to list the specific channel 9-equipped flights offering or not offering Channel 9. The thumbs-up/down codes used in the thread are:
^ Channel 9 offered on this flight but no announcement made about it.
^^ Channel 9 offered and crew announced or promoted its availability.
: td : Channel 9 not offered on this flight.
Please postings to status reports of availability -- and use the thread below to discuss the general topic.
Channel 9 availability reports (no discussion)[Consoldidated]

3) A discussion thread to pursue issues about Channel 9 availability. (See the previous paragraph. if you merely wish to list the flights offering or not offering channel 9.)
Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

4) A thread to discuss United’s progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft to offer Channel 9.
Anyone get channel 9 on a reconfigured CO or PDE aircraft yet?

The following aircraft types have "From the Flight Deck" installed (commonly known as "Channel 9," as that's the location it is found on audio handset selectors):
sUA 777-200ERs
sCO 777-200ERs
sUA 777-300ERs
sUA 777-200As (high density, first class only)
sUA 767-300ERs
sCO 767-400ERs
sUA 757-200 (28J p.s.)

[sUA A320 and A319 aircraft have had it removed. It is not installed on any 737s, 787s, nor sCO 757-200s (16J p.s.) or sCO 757-300s.]

The Moderators may move misplaced posts to conform to these thread aims.

Archived posts in Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2012, 9:26 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
Another one from a few years back:
This is the one I was thinking of! Interesting that it seems to be a fairly common problem (if 3 photos of different planes make it "common").
Old Mar 10, 2013, 8:01 am
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Now I see why some pilots switch off Channel 9...

This was n MIA-EWR a few days ago.

Was at ~3,000ft with clearance to 4R. Captain misses call to switch from approach to tower and approach makes no effort to get a positive response from the captain. If we had been at a higher altitude or the crew had still been up, I probably would've signaled to one of them to call the pilot - because I certainly noticed it.

Pilot then waits ~5 minutes until we're in the 5 mile final (just transversed the turnpike, so were under 1,000 ft) and declares that he's switching and approach sounds surprised he's still there. He switches, declares his call sign and altitude and is immediately yelled at to turn right, go around, and climb to 6,000 feet due to spacing.

You never do mistake a go-around on a 757...
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:22 am

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Originally Posted by glx
This was n MIA-EWR a few days ago.

Was at ~3,000ft with clearance to 4R. Captain misses call to switch from approach to tower and approach makes no effort to get a positive response from the captain. If we had been at a higher altitude or the crew had still been up, I probably would've signaled to one of them to call the pilot - because I certainly noticed it.

Pilot then waits ~5 minutes until we're in the 5 mile final (just transversed the turnpike, so were under 1,000 ft) and declares that he's switching and approach sounds surprised he's still there. He switches, declares his call sign and altitude and is immediately yelled at to turn right, go around, and climb to 6,000 feet due to spacing.

You never do mistake a go-around on a 757...
'Bolded' is why a lot of pilots don't even turn on ch9 anymore.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:46 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by UAL4life
+1. There is little evidence to support the notion that passengers listening to Channel 9 or even making observations out their windows will save planes from disaster. Those rare times it could possible have happened are likely more than balanced by the distraction caused by ill-informed passengers who think they know something the cockpit doesn't.

Having said that, if I saw something alarming out the window, sure, I'd mention it to an FA. But I can't imagine would it would take to rise to the level of telling an FA that he or she should check and make sure the folk up front are aware of something heard on Channel 9. Yikes.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:50 am
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Originally Posted by UAL4life
Hey, at least I framed it with "now I know why pilots turn it off". I also framed it as ATC's fault (it was, they never got a readback). We're not talking about an altitude check at 38k, we're talking about a final approach into one of the busiest airports in the world during bad weather and a clearly missed call.

Clearly this was an imminent danger if we were yelled at for a go-around and while no one likes a backseat driver, I'd have to imagine a pilot would know the intent is a little different than the lawyers that record ch9 or report pilots for banter with ATC.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by glx
while no one likes a backseat driver, I'd have to imagine a pilot would know the intent is a little different than the lawyers that record ch9 or report pilots for banter with ATC.
Unfortunately, they aren't likely to appreciate it, and telling the pilot he missed a call--even when you're afraid for your life--is just going to be further fodder for that pilot to turn it off next time.

That said, while if I were in your situation, I'd be tempted to notify the crew, too, there's little chance something would have happened. The approach controller controlling the airspace you were in was certainly aware of not being in contact with your aircraft and would have in all probability have cleared the path in front of you if you had gone much further without contacting them.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:37 am
glx

Originally Posted by jackal

That said, while if I were in your situation, I'd be tempted to notify the crew, too, there's little chance something would have happened.
Completely agree.

If I didn't think it would've been sorted out I would've rang my call button. The point of even posting this was to discuss it, not to get picked apart.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: United Global Services,Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
Yes and there are procedures for exactly the case of communication being lost. Example case, say the pilot is on approach, is handed over to the tower, then looses radio contact. This can happen when/if the pilot gets the frequency wrong for the tower, whatever, let's assume for the moment that at that precise instant all radios die. The pilot continues the approach to land and the tower clears the way for them even if it means scattering everyone else into missed approaches, etc.

Point of the matter is that safety is not compromised. The system was set up with the assumption that radio communications will fail. The procedures kick in for this case. Granted this is a rare if ever event, but it didn't used to be.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:24 am

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
Another one from a few years back:
That's hilarious, and while I can understand how a non wide body plane could do this, the thought of a 747 doing so is puzzling
Old Apr 20, 2013, 6:20 pm

Until the other day, it sure seemed like there were a lot of Air Canada flights. But then I heard an AC 4xxx get cleared for take-off, and the aircraft I saw taking off was a United Express flight. So, if AC is the abbreviation for United Express, what's the abbreviation that ATC uses for Air Canada? Or did I actually hear something other than "AC"? US seems to be called Cactus, so maybe UX is called Lazy?
Old Apr 20, 2013, 6:31 pm

Programs: Former UA GS, demoted to lowly 1K MM
Originally Posted by flyingnosh
Until the other day, it sure seemed like there were a lot of Air Canada flights. But then I heard an AC 4xxx get cleared for take-off, and the aircraft I saw taking off was a United Express flight. So, if AC is the abbreviation for United Express, what's the abbreviation that ATC uses for Air Canada? Or did I actually hear something other than "AC"? US seems to be called Cactus, so maybe UX is called Lazy?
You likely heard "ACEY" which is ExpressJet's callsign. Air Canada is simply "Air Canada"
Old May 11, 2013, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I flew UA490 yesterday on the way to EWR from LAX. I heard this rather comical exchange between our pilot and EWR approach as we were preparing to land:

Controller: "UA490 descend to 3000, watch for traffic at 2500, RJ crossing left to right over the meadowlands"

UA490: "OK we will be watching, we have an aircraft in sight at our 11 oclock but not sure if it is the one you are talking about"

Controller: "UA490 roger, aircraft in question is an Embraer 145 and should be between your 12 and 1 oclock and just below, at 2 miles"

UA490: "Roger, I don't know what that plane looks like"

Controller: "UA490, Well, last I checked, it has two wings and a tail and it is probably painted with a United logo like your plane"

UA490: "Thanks, that was helpful, traffic in sight (chuckle)"
Old May 11, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Corrected version

Originally Posted by ddrost1
I flew UA490 yesterday on the way to EWR from LAX. I heard this rather comical exchange between our pilot and EWR approach as we were preparing to land:

Controller: "UA490 descend to 3000, watch for traffic at 2500, RJ crossing left to right over the meadowlands"

UA490: "OK we will be watching, we have an aircraft in sight at our 11 oclock but not sure if it is the one you are talking about"

Controller: "UA490 roger, aircraft in question is an Embraer 145 and should be between your 12 and 1 oclock and just below, at 2 miles"

UA490: "Roger, I don't know what that plane looks like"

Controller: "UA490, Well, last I checked, it has two wings and a tail and it is probably painted with a United logo like your plane" Oh, it's a big pretty white plane with red stripes, curtains in the windows and wheels and it looks like a big Tylenol!

UA490: "Thanks, that was helpful, traffic in sight (chuckle)"
It is amusing to think that a mainline UA pilot wouldn't know what an Embraer 145 looks like.
Old May 11, 2013, 8:51 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Could also be very dry humor on the UA pilot's part. Pilot-controller exchanges are replete with dry humor.
Old May 19, 2013, 1:09 pm

Programs: AS, AA, WN
...interesting things heard...or rather not heard, at times.

I wasn't listening for the duration of the flight, but there were at least 2 times when the flight crew failed to acknowledge controller instructions to switch frequencies. Once, while descending into IAD, they acknowledged the frequency change but never changed frequency. The crew then asked to divert around a storm cell and was told in response "UAXXX, you are to contact Dulles approach on 134.42" Ha! Then, once directed by approach to contact the tower, they switched over to the tower frequency but never made contact. About 90 seconds later, the tower said "UAXXX, are you with me?"

Never heard a crew forget so many things before...and then we had one of the smoothest landings I have ever experienced. Go figure!

Last edited by flg8rmatt; May 19, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.