Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki note about the forum’s several, active “Channel 9” threads.

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Chanel 9 of the audio entertainment system (“Channel 9”) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captain’s discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts you’re interested in.

1) This thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology.

2) A thread – intended as a basic status thread only to list the specific channel 9-equipped flights offering or not offering Channel 9. The thumbs-up/down codes used in the thread are:
^ Channel 9 offered on this flight but no announcement made about it.
^^ Channel 9 offered and crew announced or promoted its availability.
: td : Channel 9 not offered on this flight.
Please postings to status reports of availability -- and use the thread below to discuss the general topic.
Channel 9 availability reports (no discussion)[Consoldidated]

3) A discussion thread to pursue issues about Channel 9 availability. (See the previous paragraph. if you merely wish to list the flights offering or not offering channel 9.)
Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

4) A thread to discuss United’s progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft to offer Channel 9.
Anyone get channel 9 on a reconfigured CO or PDE aircraft yet?

The following aircraft types have "From the Flight Deck" installed (commonly known as "Channel 9," as that's the location it is found on audio handset selectors):
sUA 777-200ERs
sCO 777-200ERs
sUA 777-300ERs
sUA 777-200As (high density, first class only)
sUA 767-300ERs
sCO 767-400ERs
sUA 757-200 (28J p.s.)

[sUA A320 and A319 aircraft have had it removed. It is not installed on any 737s, 787s, nor sCO 757-200s (16J p.s.) or sCO 757-300s.]

The Moderators may move misplaced posts to conform to these thread aims.

Archived posts in Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2010, 3:24 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Originally Posted by milesunited
On a transcon last night listening to Ch 9. Just after a plane passes under us in opposite direction, ATC goes "UAXXX, erroneous hit alert, please confirm altitude 37,000 feet" or something along those lines. I guess the ATC's system had us at a different altitude and thought we hit a passing plane? Is this commonplace?

While not familiar with this particular "erroneous hit alert", generally the use of the term "hit" refers not to physical contact between aircraft but to a radar or TCAS image/signal return
Old Sep 6, 2010, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Yesterday was on UA580 from ORD to BWI. Soon after takeoff, ORD gave an instruction to UA580 to make such and such a turn, followed by an instruction to Continental 580 to make such and such a turn. There was a pause. The UA pilot said, "Uh, can you repeat those instructions," which ATC did, without realizing what was strange about the situation. Another pause. Then ATC says, "Ah yes, right, United 580 turn blah blah, and Continental 580 turn yadda-yadda." CO pilot says "Welcome to the merger!"

Old Sep 6, 2010, 8:47 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
While not familiar with this particular "erroneous hit alert", generally the use of the term "hit" refers not to physical contact between aircraft but to a radar or TCAS image/signal return
Exactly. "Erroneous hit alert" is not ATC phraseology and it's unlikely you'd hear such wording in a formal context. "Hit" is slang. More likely you'd hear a controller say to confirm the altitude and possibly follow up with: Thanks, just had a bad hit.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 7:30 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Ground: American xxx, line up ... and ... waaaait.
American: Line up ... and ... waaaait, American xxx.
UA 395: How long have you been doing this?
Ground: About an hour.
UA 395: Well done.
American: Gotta do it in an accent no one can understand,
though.
[a few more line-up-and-waits later]
Ground: Have to get my practice in - been doing it one way for
22 years, and now they tell me to change.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 2:34 pm
Used to be 'IAD22066'

Programs: UA 1K AA
Originally Posted by wilp888
...and HKG is definitely ROC even though it is technically a SAR.
wilp888 <- You're getting your Chinas confused. PRC is the People's Republic of China, which is the main part of China that Hong Kong is now a part of. These are the communists.

ROC is Republic of China, which is what the Taiwanese call Taiwan.

Originally Posted by redheadfred

We then got sent to the penalty box for 20 minutes.
Can someone explain what "penalty box" means in this context? Do ground controllers sometimes have planes just sit somewhere on a taxiway because a pilot made them angry?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 19, 2010 at 5:56 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 6:04 pm

Location: 5 min. from ITH, 1:20 from SYR, but will drive for E+
Programs: UA 1K/MM
Originally Posted by IAD22066
Can someone explain what "penalty box" means in this context? Do ground controllers sometimes have planes just sit somewhere on a taxiway because a pilot made them angry?
No, that's just slang for a place to sit while awaiting a release time from ATC. It's not on the taxiway but usually a separate area near the departure end of a runway. On the radio you'll sometimes hear it called the "pad" for run-up pad. Piston-engine planes have to do a "run-up" of the engine to make sure everything is in good working order before takeoff, and you generally don't want to do it in the ramp area. Turbine powered aircraft don't have to do it, but the name has stuck for an open place in which to do a run-up. Penalty box isn't standard phraseology, but that doesn't mean it's not used.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 7:01 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I heard ORD ATC use "penalty box" before.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by UpstateNY
No, that's just slang for a place to sit while awaiting a release time from ATC. It's not on the taxiway but usually a separate area near the departure end of a runway. On the radio you'll sometimes hear it called the "pad" for run-up pad. Piston-engine planes have to do a "run-up" of the engine to make sure everything is in good working order before takeoff, and you generally don't want to do it in the ramp area. Turbine powered aircraft don't have to do it, but the name has stuck for an open place in which to do a run-up. Penalty box isn't standard phraseology, but that doesn't mean it's not used.
The Penalty Box is kind of a generic term for a place that ground control can put planes when they're going to be a wait ing for a gate more than a few minutes. O'Hare has an actual spot called The Penalty Box, as do several other airports. even Stapleton (the old DEN) had an official Penalty Box.

It's not beyond ATC controllers to use these places punitively, though. I've never been sent to one in lieu of "stand in the corner", but I have had a tower controller at ORD get ticked at me for taxiing onto RWY 22L once. He cancelled my takeoff clearance, told me to taxi up to the first turnoff, exit the runway and get back in line. When I called ORD tower on the phone a couple hours later, the supervisor told me that I just ticked the guy off so he spanked me.

FAB
Old Sep 22, 2010, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA GS, SPG Ambassador, Avis Last, CLEAR, Global Entry
Last night on UA 238 SAN-IAD while passing over New Mexico there were reports of a plane going down. State police were called and ATC was asking planes on other freqs to circle lat/long coordinates.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Pretty eventful chatter on 9/3. Flight from BDL-IAD was held for 1 hour by NYC center and got to hear pilot asking for several alternate routings (all denied). On landing at IAD, Jetblue plane didn't clear runway fast enough, so tower called go-around about 8 seconds before touchdown (good thing an A320 can pull itself up that fast). Rather amusing to hear quite a few people on the loop asking why a go-around was called. Presumably this constitutes a "near miss" with plenty of FAA paperwork.

IAD-SFO was a few minutes to touchdown when tower asked crew again and again to follow in another plane, which couldn't be seen in the sunset. We were eventually sent to circle around and try again.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Flying into LAX a few days ago the pilot informed ATC that there was a cluster of baloons about 500 feet north of the flight path of our aircraft and co-altitude. We were at 21,000 feet(!)
Old Sep 24, 2010, 10:06 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
On DEN-SFO last night, heard DEN-SAN ask Denver Center for a shortcut due to 50+ servicemembers on-board coming home from abroad. Center was happy to oblige. ^
Old Sep 24, 2010, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
Pretty eventful chatter on 9/3. Flight from BDL-IAD was held for 1 hour by NYC center and got to hear pilot asking for several alternate routings (all denied). On landing at IAD, Jetblue plane didn't clear runway fast enough, so tower called go-around about 8 seconds before touchdown (good thing an A320 can pull itself up that fast). Rather amusing to hear quite a few people on the loop asking why a go-around was called. Presumably this constitutes a "near miss" with plenty of FAA paperwork.

IAD-SFO was a few minutes to touchdown when tower asked crew again and again to follow in another plane, which couldn't be seen in the sunset. We were eventually sent to circle around and try again.
8 seconds from touchdown would be quite a bit of separation, and not a near miss. I don't know why anyone calls a near-hit a near-miss, just one of those "jumbo shrimp' kind of things, I guess. With an airplane taxiing onto a runway, it can get dicey, but just a tardy turnoff, no harm, no foul, no paperwork. I confess to a great affinity to the Airbusses, but all transport category planes have a ton of performance capability for go-arounds, even on one engine, as well as a bunch of other possible performance scenarios. In fact, we calculate all performance data for takeoff rolls, initial climbs, cruise, decent, landing, and go-arounds (aka missed approaches if flown following an instrument approach) based on losing an engine at critical times. If we couldn't do it on one engine, we don't even try with both. Fortunately, these planes all have some pretty awesome performance when all engines are running if they can do it safely with half their power gone.

ATC will often call traffic to us and hope we acknowledge that we see the traffic, because when we say we see it, we can be cleared for a visual approach, and it takes a lot of workload off the controller. When we accept a visual approach based on following another airplane as opposed to seeing the airport, we are accepting responsibility for our own wake turbulence separation. I personally will not accept a visual based on following another airplane unless it is a very obvious that the plane I'm looking at is the one the controller is talking about. It's all to easy to acknowledge seeing the wrong airplane (think LAX, hazy, sun setting over the ocean right in the pilots' faces, 4 runways, lots of airplanes).

I have had a controller issue some pretty punitive instructions when I would not acknowledge traffic he was calling repeatedly, but there are legalities involved that non-pilots usually don't understand. Another reason that CH 9 can cause problems, like someone who thinks they see the plane that a controller is calling out, but the pilot is not acknowledging. Kind of like, we see it but if we admit it, we will be given separation responsibility that the controller is usually better equipped to handle in many circumstances.

FAB
Old Sep 25, 2010, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
SNIP Rather amusing to hear quite a few people on the loop asking why a go-around was called. Presumably this constitutes a "near miss" with plenty of FAA paperwork. SNIP

I am not a pilot but I believe the reason they may have been asking is not just the voyueristic "I wonder just who got in trouble" but because wind shear or other WX-related issues could be very important for them to know as they planned their approaches.

FAB -correct me if I am wrong please

Lurker
Old Sep 25, 2010, 3:28 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
I don't know why anyone calls a near-hit a near-miss
It's not a near-miss, it's a near miss.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.