Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring at LHR [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2009, 9:29 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM
Any recent reports on LHR transfers? BD and UA are both in terminal one - that makes it easier. I'm flying DEN-LHR-EDI on two separate tickets (UAL to LHR and BMI to EDI). I'm assuming the following based on earlier postings:

1. United will book my bags all the way through to Edinburgh.

2. BMI will NOT book my bags all the way back and I'll have to claim them.

3. Whatever happens outgoing will not be what happens on my return.

What's unclear is when/where I have to clear immigration and customs. London? Edinburgh? Do I need to go through the transfer center?

Thanks

Last edited by hans; Jun 22, 2009 at 10:48 am Reason: poor typing
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by hans
Any recent reports on this transfer. BD and UA are both in terminal one - that makes it easier. I'm flying DEN-LHR-EDI on two separate tickets (UAL to LHR and BMI to EDI). I'm assuming the following based on earlier postings:

1. United will book my bags all the way through to Edinburgh.

2. BMI will NOT bok my bags all the way back and I'll have to claim them.

3. Whatever happens outgoing will not be happens on my return.

What's unclear is when/where I have to clear immigration and customs. London? Edinburgh? Do I need to go through the transfer center?

Thanks
1. Correct. Give them your onward flight details when checking in and they should tag your bags through.

2. Correct.

3. Correct.

According to the following link...
http://tinyurl.com/5hcmfv
... you'll clear immigration in London before transferring to the onward flight. No terminal change or visit to the Flight Connection Centre is necessary.

On your return, you'll have to arrive in to LHR as a regular domestic arrival. Domestic arrivals is on the same floor as check-in, so it's just a short walk to the UA desks.

Mark
Old Jun 23, 2009, 12:02 am

UA --> BMI in 70 minutes?

Trying to decide if I can book this connection.
Inbound at 11.15 on UA from ORD, out at 12.25 (to MXP).
Should be T1 to T1, according to LHR's airport guide.

Any advice?? All other options are either long layovers or $$$.

Actually I'm even more confused. According to ITA (and several other sites) here is what I find:

BD3449 - operated by Lufthansa Airlines as Flight LH1873
LH1873 - operated by BMI (according to the LH website)

According to BD there is no flight to MXP. So I now lean toward thinking it's operated by LH....still should be from T1.

Last edited by ftfan; Jun 23, 2009 at 12:21 am
Old Jun 23, 2009, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by ftfan
Trying to decide if I can book this connection.
Inbound at 11.15 on UA from ORD, out at 12.25 (to MXP).
Should be T1 to T1, according to LHR's airport guide.

Any advice?? All other options are either long layovers or $$$.

Actually I'm even more confused. According to ITA (and several other sites) here is what I find:

BD3449 - operated by Lufthansa Airlines as Flight LH1873
LH1873 - operated by BMI (according to the LH website)

According to BD there is no flight to MXP. So I now lean toward thinking it's operated by LH....still should be from T1.
I presume it's operated by the new Lufthansa Italia?

IMHO, it seems like quite a tight connection and doesn't allow much room for any ATC delays. It is indeed a T1 to T1 connection which will work in your favour.

If it's booked on one ticket, I'd be tempted to do it. If it's on two tickets, I don't think I'd chance it.

Mark
Old Jun 23, 2009, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by mjgodden
I presume it's operated by the new Lufthansa Italia?
Have been trying to figure this flight out, but it looks like a regular LH flight.
It's not offered on the AZ site, but on Swiss, BMI and other *A carriers.

IMHO, it seems like quite a tight connection and doesn't allow much room for any ATC delays. It is indeed a T1 to T1 connection which will work in your favour.

If it's booked on one ticket, I'd be tempted to do it. If it's on two tickets, I don't think I'd chance it.

Mark
Different tickets, I'm concerned as well.
The safe thing to do is wait for the next affordable flight at 530PM.
> 6 hrs in the terminal....

What happens with LH if the inbound UA is late + I miss the connection??
Do I need to pay up to the going fare at the time of booking (right before the flight??). The currency there is arms and legs...

Last edited by ftfan; Jun 23, 2009 at 1:54 am
Old Jun 23, 2009, 2:36 am

Have been trying to figure this flight out, but it looks like a regular LH flight.
It's not offered on the AZ site, but on Swiss, BMI and other *A carriers.

Different tickets, I'm concerned as well.
The safe thing to do is wait for the next affordable flight at 530PM.
> 6 hrs in the terminal....

What happens with LH if the inbound UA is late + I miss the connection??
Do I need to pay up to the going fare at the time of booking (right before the flight??). The currency there is arms and legs...
Lufthansa Italia flights wouldn't show on the AZ site.. it is just LH with a more Italy - focused onboard offering.

If you are on different tickets and you miss your onward flight, LH would have no obligation to you and you would have to pay to make the next flight. Obviously, with one ticket, that would not be the case.

You may be able to plead your case with LH, but given how they seem to follow the rules fairly closely, you may not get away without paying.

It's a long day.. maybe book the later flight and at least you can relax. Whilst it's a trek, there is a pod hotel in T4 (free train from T1) that allows you to hire it for a few hours if you want to sleep..6 hours is a fairly long wait.
www.yotel.com

Mark
Old Jun 23, 2009, 2:43 am

These LHR-MXP (and -TXL) flights come up often for discussion over here.

Basically BD have wet-leased aircraft with staff to LH so they counts as LH services, although there is also a BD codeshare on them.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by jedikiah
These LHR-MXP (and -TXL) flights come up often for discussion over here.

Basically BD have wet-leased aircraft with staff to LH so they counts as LH services, although there is also a BD codeshare on them.
I presume *A bennies are then given (lounge access in particular)
Old Jun 23, 2009, 1:34 pm

It's a long day.. maybe book the later flight and at least you can relax. Whilst it's a trek, there is a pod hotel in T4 (free train from T1) that allows you to hire it for a few hours if you want to sleep..6 hours is a fairly long wait.
www.yotel.com

Mark

Indeed I booked the other flight and I can expect now UA to come in early from ORD!!! Does anyone know if I can buy the RCC access pass and use it?? I'll be connecting to a non *A flight, but paying for access (at the reduced rate). Is the RCC in T1 now?? Shower??

By the way, thanks for the yotel link!
Old Jun 23, 2009, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Indeed I booked the other flight and I can expect now UA to come in early from ORD!!! Does anyone know if I can buy the RCC access pass and use it?? I'll be connecting to a non *A flight, but paying for access (at the reduced rate). Is the RCC in T1 now?? Shower??

By the way, thanks for the yotel link!
There is no more RCC at LHR. The lounge options in T1 are the *A Lounge, and 2 BMI lounges. I have not been in the BMI lounge yet, but *A Lounge is pretty nice, and it has showers. Unfortunately, they don't sell day passes.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
T3 to T1

I am going to connect to a UA flight from T3 around 14:00, which is a normally quiet time for connections. I have IRIS, which has become more spotty these days. Assuming it works, is it better to go through connections or through immigration?

(I assume there is still security through connections since European passengers are not kept separate from ROW at LHR upon arrival. It has been a blessing at FRA to avoid the heavy-handed US-only security.)
Old Nov 4, 2010, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1PMM,AAG; usedtobeelite
Couldn't find the answer to this although I thought it had been discussed long ago. Star Gold on UA econ ticket USA-LHR-Ireland with last leg on EI. Return Ireland-LHR-USA. Does one get lounge access outbound in LHR awaiting EI and also on the return while in Ireland awaiting EI? I seem to recall that lounge access was included in this specially marketed ticket although there does not seem to be anything on united.com. From the LHR site it appears both UA and EI operate from T1. Thanks for any advice.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Warrenlm
Couldn't find the answer to this although I thought it had been discussed long ago. Star Gold on UA econ ticket USA-LHR-Ireland with last leg on EI. Return Ireland-LHR-USA. Does one get lounge access outbound in LHR awaiting EI and also on the return while in Ireland awaiting EI? I seem to recall that lounge access was included in this specially marketed ticket although there does not seem to be anything on united.com. From the LHR site it appears both UA and EI operate from T1. Thanks for any advice.
No lounge access with EI departures. The *A lounge in T1 is an arrivals lounge for fare paying business class passengers and all first class passengers, but not for Y or upgraded Y to C passengers. My experience was that I could have gotten in if I had been willing to lie about being full-fare paying C (they didn't have that information available to them), but it would have been really embarrassing if they had decided to find a way to check!

If heading for DUB you're better with BMI (in terms of lounge access), but for Cork or Shannon I think EI is the only choice.

If you follow the walkway towards the gates there is a cafe / bar area halfway between T1 and the Ireland gates and it has large windows and a view of the main runway and it isn't usually very busy.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
The * Arrivals lounge has been known to let people that upgraded into C, access the lounge. I was able to do so in March on an upgraded ticket. YMMV. Of course, there is also the * Alliance lounge near the gates, which IIRC, is a * Gold lounge.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Of course, there is also the * Alliance lounge near the gates, which IIRC, is a * Gold lounge.
The regular *A lounge requires a departing *A boarding pass for access.

I personally ran the ORD-(UA)-LHR-(EI)-DUB experiment last year (by mistake ), flying NC to LHR as a 1K RCC member, and I didn't get in (nor should I have).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.