Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Listening to Channel 9 on September 11, 2001

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Listening to Channel 9 on September 11, 2001

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2020, 11:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I re-read the original post every year and it really is something. I was only in 7th grade during that time but remember a lot since I was in The Bronx. I can’t bring myself to watch that footage over and over.
J_Stroming and 747FC like this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 3:00 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by JHake10
I re-read the original post every year and it really is something. I was only in 7th grade during that time but remember a lot since I was in The Bronx. I can’t bring myself to watch that footage over and over.
And I walked out of the 9/11 museum In NYC because it was too traumatic. RIP. And Never Again.
24left likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 3:07 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Few things you remember, but I remember every single detail of that day. I remember my parents were in Maui, and return flights canceled, in the moment there Was some fear that military targets such as NORAD were a concern, so sibling two picked up siblings 4 and 5 and brought them to my house. In hindsight that was silly, but none of argue with Mom...

My flight instructor back in the 90’s was flying commuter aircraft, Beech 1900’s, my IFR instructor was one month in with some other commuter. My ex wife drove from California back to her new home in Ohio, didn’t want to wait. The list goes on. My cousin is a structural engineer and I was on the phone with him discussing if the towers would stand or collapse, and then the first one came down, and I swear it was pure silence for a full minute.

I'm not the frequent flyer I once was, but occasionally I meet a seat mate that was flying that morning. The stories are chilling to say the least.

When my wife and I were in New York we visited the museum. I’ve never seen so many people in one place so silent.

Stay safe UA, and all pilots.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 7:49 am

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
As with many others, re-reading this post is one of my ways of remembering 9/11. We all have our memories, and I am glad that flyertalk gives us the opportunity to re-read this bit of history from that day.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 3:52 pm

I’d also like to thank fellow FlyerTalkers for bumping this, year in, year out. It gives me goose bumps and flashbacks everytime.

Let’s please continue to do this in future years.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 5:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
I usually come back to read this thread, but never comment...

I happened to be sitting on a plane today, next to a coworker who has avoided flying on this day for the last 19 years. She was at the briefing table next to the crew of Flight 93 as they did their briefing. She thanks the OP for their recollection.

Thank you to this community for the thread bump every year. If you happen to fly on this day (today or in the future) please take an extra moment to remember those who were not able to return to their families. If your crew seems less friendly than normal, remember some lost close friends, family members, co-workers. The survivor's guilt never went away for some and this day brings back painful memories.
tuolumne and 24left like this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 6:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
link

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 11, 2020 at 6:16 pm
Old Sep 11, 2020, 6:46 pm
Suspended

I live in NYC and I jog past the memorial everyday -- as I live two blocks away from it. It has never failed to choke me up - every day.

I was in the air that day -- as were many of my team. It was a traumatic few days - but nothing compared to ground zero.

I took this pic on the way home tonight -- we don't celebrate this day -- we mourn and appreciate how lucky we are to live here and in this country.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I have read this thread every 9/11 for the past several years. I still get chills. What bother me the most, in 2020, is what I wrote in here only a few years ago. The people. In the original, it's the selfless offer to drive anyone hours home. That happened everywhere that day. The feeling of love and empathy we all felt towards each other for weeks/months following 9/11. The collegiality. 9/11 was a horrible, horrible day. But it brought out the best in so many of us. I miss that.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Work travel had me flying on Sept. 11 many of the last 10 years, so I decided that the best way for me observe the day was once again to get on a plane--even if I didn't have a real destination. I'm glad I did, and that the miniature MR I booked left me time to stop and appreciate the memorial EWR employees had set up in terminal C.

Bear96, SPN Lifer, as219 and 10 others like this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 7:22 am

And here are two photos I took of the memorial on 9/10/18 when I was in EWR Terminal C. It's always very well done and I hope it is put up every year.

Old Sep 9, 2021, 12:17 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Here we are upon another anniversary, 20 years now. (I can't believe it's been that long, almost 1/2 of my life ago!)

Just saw United post this on Facebook--about had me in tears:

https://fb.watch/7W1RY4iX5Y/

It echos a lot of what's in this thread, hearing from those agents who worked those fateful flights on that wretched Tuesday twenty years ago.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 12:38 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Here we are upon another anniversary, 20 years now. (I can't believe it's been that long, almost 1/2 of my life ago!)

Just saw United post this on Facebook--about had me in tears:

https://fb.watch/7W1RY4iX5Y/

It echos a lot of what's in this thread, hearing from those agents who worked those fateful flights on that wretched Tuesday twenty years ago.
Lovely video. Thank you for sharing.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 1:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, HHonors Diamond,
I'd never seen this post before today. Clicked on the link from FT newsletter. What a moving account from the OP and the follow up posts from others. I'm glad I read it. I certainly remember the day well. It still blows my mind.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Can't believe it has been 20 years.

My cousin died in the towers and the last time I was in NYC (pre-COVID), I finally went down to the WTC Memorial with my wife. By pure happenstance we walked up to the Memorial with no guidance and his name was right there. I still remember everything about that day -- including the sound of military jets streaking over North Carolina -- despite being in middle school at the time.
SPN Lifer, wrp96, 24left and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.