Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Listening to Channel 9 on September 11, 2001

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Listening to Channel 9 on September 11, 2001

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2014, 11:35 am

I was on a UA flight SFO-EWR yesterday evening, remembering UA 93 going in the other direction as well the other three flights thirteen years ago. Saw the Tribute In Light as we were crossing the Delaware river and heading out over northern NJ. As we were flying along the Manhattan skyline, the captain announced (I'm paraphrasing), "On the left-hand side you can see the WTC memorial lights, as we remember our colleagues and customers on United flights 175 and 93". We then banked left to get even closer, and ended with a sharp right turn to land on runway 29. Surely the choice of runway was based on wind direction, but it was a nice touch regardless.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
I still get chills every time I read through thread, despite reading it for the umpteenth time. Thanks for sharing and the annual bump.

Much has been said about the first responders and others on the front lines, pilots, flight attendants, and passengers alike. And deservedly so. There were innumerable acts of true heroism on that tragic September morning. IMHO, one of the more underrated and underreported aspects of that day are the guys and gals of ATC. The feat they accomplished landing so many aircraft SAFELY in such rapid succession was beyond impressive to say the least.
travelmom4 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Can't believe it's been 14 years. I was in 7th grade at the time and still remember every detail as if it were yesterday.

Never Forget.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 1:37 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Thanks for bumping this post. Thoughts go out to the families on this anniversary of this tragic event. RIP to the innocent. 9/11/2001 was a day I will never forget! Ever (for many reasons).

On another note: UA bring back channel 9.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 2:28 am

Thank you for this thread.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Of all the years I've been on FT, I can't believe this is the first time I've come across it. Thank you for bumping this thread up.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 7:20 am

I am not flying the line today, though I have most 9/11s since 2001. I was flying a trip on that day, though, or I should say, I ended my trip in the middle of a scheduled four days of flying.

I will, of course, never forget that day, but I will also never forget the next several days, in a hotel room at ORD, the news playing endlessly on the television.

I bought a single-use camera that morning, and before security so quickly became what it is now, I walked through the ORD airport, taking pictures of the absolutely empty concourses. Then, from my room overlooking the airport, more pictures of the B and C concourses, with every gate occupied and zero ground movement, no aircraft taking off or landing.

The news trickled in of the casualties; with that, some familiar names. Crew that I'd flown with, then a friend from before either of us was a United pilot, the captain of United Flight 93.

Four days later, airplanes were slowly waking up, and the one I finally got on to take me home was flown by one of my new-hire classmates. I remember sitting in my seat, still parked at the gate, and seeing a cargo tug drive by; no tug in tow, but the most profound message onboard nonetheless.

It was flying the flag of The United States of America, hand-held by one of my fellow workers.

Above all else, that was symbolism of the choice that we make. That is truly something that I will NEVER FORGET.

FAB
SPN Lifer and travelmom4 like this.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by freshairborne
I am not flying the line today, though I have most 9/11s since 2001. I was flying a trip on that day, though, or I should say, I ended my trip in the middle of a scheduled four days of flying.

I will, of course, never forget that day, but I will also never forget the next several days, in a hotel room at ORD, the news playing endlessly on the television.

I bought a single-use camera that morning, and before security so quickly became what it is now, I walked through the ORD airport, taking pictures of the absolutely empty concourses. Then, from my room overlooking the airport, more pictures of the B and C concourses, with every gate occupied and zero ground movement, no aircraft taking off or landing.

The news trickled in of the casualties; with that, some familiar names. Crew that I'd flown with, then a friend from before either of us was a United pilot, the captain of United Flight 93.

Four days later, airplanes were slowly waking up, and the one I finally got on to take me home was flown by one of my new-hire classmates. I remember sitting in my seat, still parked at the gate, and seeing a cargo tug drive by; no tug in tow, but the most profound message onboard nonetheless.

It was flying the flag of The United States of America, hand-held by one of my fellow workers.

Above all else, that was symbolism of the choice that we make. That is truly something that I will NEVER FORGET.

FAB
I'd imagine that today is a rough day for all the folks at AA and UA and greatly appreciate hearing the perspective of those that were truly in it that day.

I was stuck, in all places, at the Marriott Napa Valley. Was able to get a flight that Saturday. Remember being at the airport at around 4:30am and it was just packed. The most striking memory of that day was while we were standing in line waiting for things to get going, an older lady was complaining that they didn't have the elite lines open. People never cease to amaze me. Flight from SFO to ORD was one of the strangest I've ever been on. Just the silence and anxiousness. Was never so glad to be home.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 10:12 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by freshairborne

FAB
Thank you for sharing this story.

I recall being on one of the first scheduled flights to depart from SFO on 9/14/01 -- the plane was nearly empty (National Airlines to LAS).
Old Sep 11, 2015, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I flew DCA-MIA-BOG on AA the first day after flights were resumed post 9-11.

When departing MIA at pushback from our gate (and at every gate I could see), each departing plane was accompanied by two AA ground crew holding a banner with the AA and UA logos and the four flight numbers printed on it, along with the words "never forget." A fitting tribute.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Living and working in NYC and being downtown that day, my thoughts about 9/11 have mostly focused on events on the ground in NYC. It's good to read in this thread about events in the air and at airports. Thanks to those who have posted their experiences, from the OP to today.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
After seeing the History channel show "15 years after", I thought it was time to bump this thread again.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 11:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP
In all my years here, I've never seen this thread before. It's incredible.

As we approach the 15th anniversary, its so crazy to look about and think about what has changed. I was just starting my senior year in high school, in Seattle. I usually got out of bed around 0630PT, and was out the door by 0700PT. As I came up the stairs my mom grabbed me before I ran out the door and dragged me over to the TV. The south tower had just fallen as our day was just getting started on the west coast. Really incredible images, but having just missed the bus, I headed out the door and into my car to get to class. Mom, who worked in an office tower downtown, got on her bus to go to work... I mean, what else are you supposed to do? When she got there, security guards were standing outside, and were sending everyone home.

We didn't do much at school; mostly watched CNN. My math teacher was a retired Vietnam-era Coast Guard Officer - he sat in the corner of the room watching TV with the rest of us, the color drained from his face. He said he couldn't even find the words to describe how he was feeling.

Many of my friends were in a different math section. Their teacher's wife was a flight attendant (I think for United). She was in the middle of a multi-day trip, but he didn't know where she was flying. Apparently he spent the entire period on the phone, panic'd, trying to track down her schedule ... calling her friends, anyone who could look up what she was doing. Later in the day, he did find out she was safe.

Being West Coast kids, most of us didn't have any way to reference the stories of the bridge and tunnel people walking out of Manhattan, the clouds of dust billowing down the avenues as the towers fell, etc. It was all surreal - made even more so by daily life seeming so utterly normal in Seattle, otherwise.

I was starting my senior year in high school when 9/11 happened. I just wrapped up my MBA in May and am now in my early 30s. I'm packing my apt now and relocating for my new career... but I have a close to campus address. I've seen the hoards of new freshmen wandering around the neighborhood. To think - most of them were 3 years old when 9/11 happened. They have no conscious memory of the event... Where did the time go.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 9:18 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I was in 7th grade at the time like some other posters mentioned. While I wasn't in Manhattan, I was in NYC public school in the The Bronx. The school didn't say anything that was happening (this is common practice as they don't want parents to be upset and let parents tell their own kids).

My mother who worked in Roc Center got one of the last Express Buses out (at the time it was the Manhattan Express by the New York Bus Company before the MTA buy out). When I was finally picked up I remember on our way home there is a one street that goes uphill with an unobstructed view of Manhattan (Randall Ave) and I saw all the smoke.

I will be flying SFO-EWR this upcoming Sunday September 11th.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum
Never forget....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.