Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Polaris 767 8 hrs vs 787 10 hrs

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2024, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

True. But when you have to make a connection to get to a major airport, your only choices from the west are to leave early in the am and arrive early in the am. The worst is showing up at 7am with almost not sleep and not being able to check in until afternoon.
Old May 16, 2024, 12:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gmt4
Something to consider- ORD-LHR is a quick flight, IMHO. (Not as bad a EWR-LHR though) It'll be 2 hrs into the flight before the cabin lights go out then they'll wake you up 90 mins before landing. That means ~4+ hrs to be left alone to sleep. I'd take the longer flight if I was a west-coaster, personally.
If the trip is scheduled for a date after the SFO runway repairs are finished, I'd go with SFO. Otherwise, I'd go ORD unless it's a winter trip. I hate backtracking.
Old May 16, 2024, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
ORD-LHR is too short for two meals and decent sleep.
No one says you have to have any meals let alone two. Eat in Polaris lounge before and in Arrivals lounge after and sleep the entire flight. Id save the miles thats a sizeable difference.
Old May 16, 2024, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by ijgordon
No one says you have to have any meals let alone two. Eat in Polaris lounge before and in Arrivals lounge after and sleep the entire flight. I’d save the miles that’s a sizeable difference.
I don't really have the ability to sleep through a meal service with the cabin lights full on and the noise and motion. Breakfast maybe, but there's no way I am falling asleep at 5pm (for the early frequency) in a lit cabin full of people eating. YMMV, of course, I have never had to suffer a regular diet of East Coast TATLs which I know are much worse.

I usually just deal with the shortened amount of sleep and use it to fall back to the early European time zone, but still prefer a West Coast TATL if an option.
SPN Lifer, Kacee and gmt4 like this.
Old May 16, 2024, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Plus that mid-con afternoon departure for a TATL just kills me on jetlag.
There are three ORD-LHR flights. The last one is pretty late in the evening.
tcdtcd likes this.
Old May 17, 2024, 4:26 am

I would do SFO for the reasons given by others above. I would add that the 767 is more likely to go mx.
Old May 17, 2024, 8:16 am

Programs: AADULtArer
One beauty of getting older is you need less sleep. SFO-ewr in a lie flat Thursday night lets me work Friday., as long as I dont have to arm nuclear bombs that day
SPN Lifer and bmwe92fan like this.
Old May 17, 2024, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Also, the amount of sleep one needs is hereditary. I need about one hour less than my hard-working wife. The CO of my Navy ship, who went on to command an aircraft carrier and make Vice Admiral, thought anyone who needed more than four hours was lacking in self-discipline.

Obviously, knowing how much sleep one needs is an important factor in choosing which UA flight to take.
artvandalay and bmwe92fan like this.
Old May 17, 2024, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by qofmiwok
True. But when you have to make a connection to get to a major airport, your only choices from the west are to leave early in the am and arrive early in the am. The worst is showing up at 7am with almost not sleep and not being able to check in until afternoon.
Is taking the late SFO-LHR flight (departing around 7pm) not an option? If it is that would be a slam dunk from a timing/schedule perspective.
Old May 17, 2024, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by dkc192
Is taking the late SFO-LHR flight (departing around 7pm) not an option? If it is that would be a slam dunk from a timing/schedule perspective.
Depends on the person. Whats a slam dunk for one is a bad start on dealing with jet lag for another. 7PM in California is 3 AM in the UK which likely means going to sleep as late as 5 AM UK time.
Old May 17, 2024, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
For me 10 hours is optimal flight duration in Polaris. Enough time to eat, sleep and watch movies without flight feeling too long. Being on a 787 is an added bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.