Wiki Posts
Search

CommuteAir

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2024, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL Silver, UA
CommuteAir

I am looking to purchase a pair of international tickets on United. The domestic portion of the trip will be on CommuteAir to IAD. I have never flown with this company and wondering what to expect? Is this a good company to fly with or should it be avoided. Thanks for any information you can provide!
Old May 12, 2024, 9:00 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
They were formerly known as CommutAir (not sure why they felt the need to buy the extra vowel but...)

They've been around for a while and currently operate only the ERJ-145 for United, a single-cabin 50 seat regional jet that is vastly superior in comfort to the other single cabin aircraft in the United Express fleet (the CRJ-200, which you can't pay me enough less than a $750 ETC to fly [funny story there...]). Most of these aircraft were formerly operated by ExpressJet, and while the aircraft are getting older and the interiors on some are a bit warn the aircraft are well maintained.

I've found the crews to be intensely professional and very good at recognizing 1K status on board including proactively offering snack boxes, etc. even on flights where the rest of the cabin is getting a beverage only or no service.

The one downside to the E145 at IAD with a connection is you will almost certainly go into the Z gates if you're unlucky and the A gates if you're extremely unlucky. Neither of these have any real passenger services -- limited seating, no United Club, and A is particularly dark and chaotic (I've been in second-world ex-communist airport terminals that are more hospitable). Fine for an arriving flight where you're probably heading straight for a civilized terminal for your onward connection and might not even notice it, miserable for a departing flight.

While I've been avoiding single-cabin aircraft generally, I wouldn't avoid CommuteAir if the price/schedule made sense for my travels.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 12, 2024, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL Silver, UA
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
They were formerly known as CommutAir (not sure why they felt the need to buy the extra vowel but...)

They've been around for a while and currently operate only the ERJ-145 for United, a single-cabin 50 seat regional jet that is vastly superior in comfort to the other single cabin aircraft in the United Express fleet (the CRJ-200, which you can't pay me enough less than a $750 ETC to fly [funny story there...]). Most of these aircraft were formerly operated by ExpressJet, and while the aircraft are getting older and the interiors on some are a bit warn the aircraft are well maintained.

I've found the crews to be intensely professional and very good at recognizing 1K status on board including proactively offering snack boxes, etc. even on flights where the rest of the cabin is getting a beverage only or no service.

The one downside to the E145 at IAD with a connection is you will almost certainly go into the Z gates if you're unlucky and the A gates if you're extremely unlucky. Neither of these have any real passenger services -- limited seating, no United Club, and A is particularly dark and chaotic (I've been in second-world ex-communist airport terminals that are more hospitable). Fine for an arriving flight where you're probably heading straight for a civilized terminal for your onward connection and might not even notice it, miserable for a departing flight.

While I've been avoiding single-cabin aircraft generally, I wouldn't avoid CommuteAir if the price/schedule made sense for my travels.
Great! Thanks for the feedback!
Old May 12, 2024, 11:08 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CLTRob
....The domestic portion of the trip will be on CommuteAir to IAD....
This is one of the local carriers UA uses in there United Express system. It will marketed as a United flight and operate under the UA umbrella.
Express carriers use small planes, mainly 50 (single cabin, no F cabin) to 76 passengers, single aisle planes, no middle seats. The 50 seaters have limited in cabin overhead space and you may need to gate check some carry-on, which will be returned at the gate at the next airport. As mentioned at IAD you will arrive at the Z gates (or perhaps A gates) and it is a bit of a travel to the C/D gates for the mainline UA flights.

What issue are you concerned about? The best issue is you will be checking in at a small airport (generally fast and cheaper parking) and the Express flight will be short.
Old May 12, 2024, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I've had a few E-175s go out of A recently (It's luck of the draw on that, you can get C, D, A, or Z with the E175/E170. Sometimes, you can get gate changes to all four before something sticks!). I have Priority Pass which helps with lounges in that case, since there are numerous on A/B. And since I have my PP via the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the newly (re-)opened Ethiad Lounge which quietly doubles as a Chase Sapphire Club has been really handy. (You get unlimited access if your PP is via the CSR card. Only one visit a year to any club in the Sapphire Club network if your PP is not via the Chase Sapphire Reserve). The lounge is by Gate A14, so about as close to the regional A gates as you can get without being in the regional gate section.

No, this is not an ad. Just an FYI.
goodeats21 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.