Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LHR-West Coast: Polaris 787-9 vs 777-200; LAX vs SFO?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR-West Coast: Polaris 787-9 vs 777-200; LAX vs SFO?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2024, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Aligned with the consensus here - LAX. The 789 is a great plane and far less prone to MX delays these days than the 772 (even though Im a 777 lover). Ive been stuck overnight in LHR due a CX SFO-LHR twice this year.

Also second the better PL in LAX. The food is miles better than SFO, especially the buffet food. The SFO PL food overall is getting worse and worse.
SPN Lifer and 747FC like this.
Old May 10, 2024, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
The LAX PL buffet is really nothing to get excited about--lately there haven't even been hot options at all for most of the day (certainly in the afternoons ahead of the later LHR flight, which departs around the same time OP's HNL flight). There might be hot options earlier in the day (for the HKG, NRT, HND, and earlier LHR flights) and/or later in the day (for the SYD and MEL flights).

But agree that LAX beats SFO in terms of a la carte dining quality.
SPN Lifer and 747FC like this.
Old May 10, 2024, 1:03 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by halls120
assuming, of course, the FAs let you see out of them.
That is another story that seems to be affecting a few airlines.

Its time we take a stand and get an official answer from the airline(s) to bring up to an FA who says they can't unlock seats.
Old May 10, 2024, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by greenpau
Also second the better PL in LAX. The food is miles better than SFO, especially the buffet food. The SFO PL food overall is getting worse and worse.
And the LAX PL, unlike SFO PL, has water bottles that can be taken to-go. Or can they? Perhaps that is a question for the other ongoing thread.
SPN Lifer, greenpau and 747FC like this.
Old May 11, 2024, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
LHR-HNL OP

Many thanks for all who responded to my request for help on the decision as whether to take the 789 vs 772 and go through LAX or SFO. Just made our award booking on the 789 through LAX.

Thanks again for all the time you spent responding to my inquiry!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.