Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UI app look update May 2024

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2024, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Hartmann
Wow, so it looks like they moved to a native app for iPad. That font does look bigger than what they've implemented in the iPhone app. It seems like they didn't spend enough time testing the different looks on their respective platforms. I still think the old font was easier on the eyes. And the extra white space just isn't necessary.

Thanks for posting the screenshots!
Really? I like the extra white space. Better than filling it with useless information or ads.
Old May 10, 2024, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by chavala
Really? I like the extra white space. Better than filling it with useless information or ads.
I am typically fine with white space, but on the iPhone, they put white space where there used to be useful info, so you have to scroll to see things that used to be visible on a single screen.
halls120 likes this.
Old May 10, 2024, 5:46 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, QR Silver, DL Silver
*the app has entered the chat thread - now sporting google ads

Old May 10, 2024, 6:18 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Maybe related or maybe not: The app (even after re-installing) tells me it is more than 24 hours before my reservation so I can't check in... for a flight in 10 hours, and for one on another PNR in 20 hours.
Old May 10, 2024, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
It feels like there are over 5 font sizes on this 1 page alone. And why is the field description ("departure date") so small and the date so large? And why are the rounded corners on search and flight status so dramatically different (I get one is a button and another is like a tab, but it just looks jarring when they are next to each other.) I just don't understand.
SPN Lifer and halls120 like this.
Old May 10, 2024, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Maybe I am old fashioned but I think this looks so much better. I wonder what Alex thinks of the redesign.
SPN Lifer, SS255, fly2nrt and 4 others like this.
Old May 10, 2024, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
A change I dont like is that when booking flight on the website, especially with multiple pax, when entering your details and you get to the bottom of the page, then you need to scroll all the way back up to the top to click the blue button on the right to get to next page of the booking.
NJSwamplands likes this.
Old May 10, 2024, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
United Connection entering the chat in 3... 2... 1...
Old May 10, 2024, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Hartmann
Wow, so it looks like they moved to a native app for iPad. That font does look bigger than what they've implemented in the iPhone app. It seems like they didn't spend enough time testing the different looks on their respective platforms. I still think the old font was easier on the eyes. And the extra white space just isn't necessary.

Thanks for posting the screenshots!
Was the iPad app not native before? FWIW, here are the same screens with the previous UI. Also including the scree with the seat map which they butchered a few updates ago.

Old May 10, 2024, 11:32 pm

There's a part of me that initially liked some of the changes in the new app. It seemed more accessible. However, upon comparing old and new apps, the redesign seems a little confused ui- wise. Buttons and drop down styles are inconsistent. It's surprising to see some easily missed ui bugs (that have been pointed out by users).

App-side and backend bugs exist (as has been pointed out by users already). While UA apps are leaps and bounds ahead of other carriers, it's clear that in recent years the quality of UA dev work has declined. Perhaps it's an issue with their QA? Perhaps it's an issue with work not really being scoped out properly. The issues we see today could have very easily been avoided with proper scoping, design, and development.

The app still works for me. It's not fugly, but it's not amazing. I certainly don't appreciate error-prone webviews, ads, and some quality issues with app error handling. Still, my main issue that UA needs to fix a bug that affects booking on web. Oh and perhaps hire some QA?
Old May 11, 2024, 9:23 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
I like it, both the app and website. The brighter blue color is refreshing for me, just like the new livery was and I actually didn't love that at first. Bugs will be fixed, no worries there for me. I think the only thing so far I don't love is the flight status screen in the app feels a bit crowded/tight. I liked the bigger font previously and more spacing between flights. It all feels a bit pushed together now. Not awful, but for me a worse outcome than the previous version.
Old May 11, 2024, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
So far I don't mind the changes to the app from a font/color scheme standpoint. And I don't mind the smaller fonts, but I don't get why they didn't take that opportunity to compress more information into the same screen. Scrolling is very inefficient.

Another thing I noticed which may not be related to the design change, but the upgrade waitlist (for those that didn't clear) doesn't appear to be wiped away after the flight closes like it used to be.
Old May 11, 2024, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Seems they are playing around with things again (Still?).
Noticed a pop up box appeared when I went to home page, with a "Sign in" and "Join now" link, but it disappeared after a second, leaving only the silhouette icon again.
Going to the "My trips" section without being logged in causes it to pop up again, though they also now have a stationary version on that page, so they stack on top of each other.
And love how one of the "Join now" is inside an oval, and the other is just text.
Classy.

Old May 11, 2024, 5:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by econ
So far I don't mind the changes to the app from a font/color scheme standpoint. And I don't mind the smaller fonts, but I don't get why they didn't take that opportunity to compress more information into the same screen.
I didnt mind small fonts 20 years ago, but as I get older, I hate them.
Old May 11, 2024, 6:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Kind of ironic that we're discussing how poor UA's design is...on a site that never left 1995 in terms of design.
Fact-checking: This is UAL.com's homepage back in 1996, courtesy of Wayback Machine:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.