Wiki Posts
Search

Deplaning late night

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2024, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Deplaning late night

I was on a 737 Max 9 Sunday FLL-CLE completely full aircraft was on the last flight of the night. It was a hot night I was sitting very last row took a while to deplane first they cut the air off which should not be done until deplaning is completed then the lights went out.
It was a great flight and crew thought this was not normal oractice
Old Apr 30, 2024, 12:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
I was on a 737 Max 9 Sunday FLL-CLE completely full aircraft was on the last flight of the night. It was a hot night I was sitting very last row took a while to deplane first they cut the air off which should not be done until deplaning is completed then the lights went out.

Never nice, but it happens.
Just had a MU flight into PKX arriving at a remote gate. For some reason they immediately shut the air off but made us wait for 30 minutes before opening the doors. 🥵
Old Apr 30, 2024, 12:36 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Was the flight late? Write in and complain nonetheless.

Originally Posted by narvik
Never nice, but it happens.
Just had a MU flight into PKX arriving at a remote gate. For some reason they immediately shut the air off but made us wait for 30 minutes before opening the doors. 🥵
MU. I attempted to swear off taking them some years ago when a flight departing TAO in the summer was delayed six hours for air corridor disruption. Don't ask. We sat on the plane with no AC so the FAs opened the rear doors to get some air flow. If you got too hot they let you come back and stand next to the door for five minutes. Of course if you fell it was 8 meters to the ground. Fortunately nobody fell.
AndyPatterson and narvik like this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 7:51 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
There is likely a standard time pause after landing for this to happen and a slow debaording process could lead to this. Not sure the FAs have a communication path to the ground crew, The pilots do but they have long departed many times.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 9:07 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
The air must be shut off for three minutes (two minutes in the NG) before we can turn off the battery switch to secure the airplane for the night. That allows the APU to complete its cool-down cycle before shutting off.

The ground personnel should hook up PCAir but that doesn't always happen in a timely manner because they're unloading bags or some of them leave to park the next arrival and it's nice and cool on the ramp and they don't understand that it's not in the airplane.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Perhaps a pilot could comment, but I have noticed that the air circulation through the vents on the MAX8 and 9 is very weak: on the ground and even in the air. Its also not always very cold. Is there something else going on with these MAX aircraft?
Old Apr 30, 2024, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Did pilot and FO cut out early for the night?

No lights or air is the perfect time to get the party started I know the feeling of deplanning time from the rear of the plane, hey, those $50 in savings (BE ticket?) go on long way on party supplies and booze, or just get some from the back galley (latter) for free.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Perhaps a pilot could comment, but I have noticed that the air circulation through the vents on the MAX8 and 9 is very weak: on the ground and even in the air. It’s also not always very cold. Is there something else going on with these MAX aircraft?
The volume of air entering the cabin is the same, just less of it is coming out of the overhead vents.
SPN Lifer and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LarryJ
The volume of air entering the cabin is the same, just less of it is coming out of the overhead vents.
Interesting! Where is the rest going?
Old Apr 30, 2024, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Interesting! Where is the rest going?
Most of the air enters through vents in the ceiling and along the side walls.
SPN Lifer and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most of the air enters through vents in the ceiling and along the side walls.
Hm, I think that balance is off, then. Is it adjustable at all, or it's fixed by Boeing?
Old Apr 30, 2024, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Why is there such low flow? Is the system designed that way? The back of the MAX8 and MAX9 can get uncomfortable!
Old Apr 30, 2024, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Hm, I think that balance is off, then. Is it adjustable at all, or it's fixed by Boeing?
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Why is there such low flow? Is the system designed that way? The back of the MAX8 and MAX9 can get uncomfortable!
As far as I know, it is consistent across all of the airplanes with the space bins. Some have speculated that the Space Bins leave less room for the ducting to the PSU air vents but I don't know if that's true. It might also be related to the different design of the vent nozzle. Our manuals do not have any details about it. That would be in the maintenance manual. The airconditioning system itself is otherwise the same as the other airplanes.
Old May 1, 2024, 10:10 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
As far as I know, it is consistent across all of the airplanes with the space bins. Some have speculated that the Space Bins leave less room for the ducting to the PSU air vents but I don't know if that's true. It might also be related to the different design of the vent nozzle. Our manuals do not have any details about it. That would be in the maintenance manual. The airconditioning system itself is otherwise the same as the other airplanes.
I've noticed on the 737NG fleet (at least in rows 2-4 where I spend the majority of my time) the aircraft that have the "old style" cone gaspers are much more comfortable IMO and provide a more directed airflow than those with the newer "pancake" gaspers similar to those found on the 737MAX fleet -- part of that is I like to feel airflow and the new style seems to disperse it more broadly where the old style give more of a focused jet of air.

And clearly I'm spending way too much time on 737s to have developed strong feelings regarding the style of PSU/gaspers :-D

For the OP -- since CLE is a line maintenance station, given the APU cooldown requirements it's also possible that the Move Team was trying to get the aircraft secured and moved over to MX expediently as depending on whats on the dance card for the night they may need as much time as they can get to prepare for the mornings flights
​​
ContinentalFan likes this.

Last edited by lincolnjkc; May 1, 2024 at 10:17 am
Old May 1, 2024, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I've noticed on the 737NG fleet (at least in rows 2-4 where I spend the majority of my time) the aircraft that have the "old style" cone gaspers are much more comfortable IMO and provide a more directed airflow than those with the newer "pancake" gaspers
That is what I've found as well.

There are many people who don't like to feel the air movement, like we do, and they often don't understand the need to leave the air on, longer.

For the OP -- since CLE is a line maintenance station, given the APU cooldown requirements it's also possible that the Move Team was trying to get the aircraft secured and moved over to MX expediently​​
If the Move Team is taking the airplane, we'll generally leave the APU and air on as they use the APU to power the airplane during the tow.

At such stations, I'll check with the station before shutting it down to see if it is going to be moved soon.
lincolnjkc and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.