Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What's going on with UA2344 (IAD-SFO) in April 2024 -- 773 rows 20-22

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's going on with UA2344 (IAD-SFO) in April 2024 -- 773 rows 20-22

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2024, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, 2MM, Marriott Titanium
UA 2344 IAD-SFO April 10

I haven't seen this happen before- this is a 777-300ER with Prem Plus seating (sold as Y). I was in seat 20B, and about 2-3 days ago got an email that, due to an aircraft change, I had been moved to row 46! What's strange is that the seat map still shows the original aircraft- but with rows 20,21,22 completely empty, although I cannot change my seat to any seat in the (seemingly empty) Prem Plus rows. The flight is only slightly over 24 hours away- doesn't it seem like they'd have the aircraft assigned at this point? And if this is the aircraft, why did they empty out the Premium Plus cabin?
Old Apr 9, 2024, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by kellydey
I haven't seen this happen before- this is a 777-300ER with Prem Plus seating (sold as Y). I was in seat 20B, and about 2-3 days ago got an email that, due to an aircraft change, I had been moved to row 46! What's strange is that the seat map still shows the original aircraft- but with rows 20,21,22 completely empty, although I cannot change my seat to any seat in the (seemingly empty) Prem Plus rows. The flight is only slightly over 24 hours away- doesn't it seem like they'd have the aircraft assigned at this point? And if this is the aircraft, why did they empty out the Premium Plus cabin?
My guess is that they want the option to switch to a high density B772: the variant used mainly for flights to Hawaii. It has a slightly greater capacity compared to the B773.
kellydey likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 5:45 pm

Programs: MC - Gold HH-Diamond UA - 1K

As of 1845 CST the seat map is open and rows 20-22 from A to L are open. it is A/C # 2146, a 777-300
Old Apr 9, 2024, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by h2oflyboy
As of 1845 CST the seat map is open and rows 20-22 from A to L are open. it is A/C # 2146, a 777-300
Now, 45 minutes later, all show occupied. No apparent tail swaps.

Last edited by fumje; Apr 9, 2024 at 6:45 pm Reason: wrong date
Old Apr 9, 2024, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Yes, it is #2146, and has been the entire time. On the flight status page, it shows Rows 20-22 completely empty. I was originally in 20B and they moved me out, due to “change of aircraft”, but the aircraft has not so far changed. And 20-22 seem to be completely vacant. Although when I try to change my seat, it shows them as occupied or at least unavailable.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, it is #2146, and has been the entire time. On the flight status page, it shows Rows 20-22 completely empty. I was originally in 20B and they moved me out, due to “change of aircraft”, but the aircraft has not so far changed. And 20-22 seem to be completely vacant. Although when I try to change my seat, it shows them as occupied or at least unavailable.
Apologies, I looked up the wrong date previously. Somehow they've apparently toggled the seat map to treat them as premiumplus rather than economy plus on this flight, even though they don't sell OAR fares on this route. I would advise keep a close eye in the hope they correct it. I believe this occurrence has been reported here before, but I don't know why exactly it happens.
kellydey likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Indeed, whatever issue or error it was that emptied out rows 20-22, designated them premium plus, making them unbookable, Was resolved in the middle of the night. It became economy plus again, and allowed me to move back. There never was any change of aircraft.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 8:03 am

Programs: UA
I was looking yesterday and they had OAR fares for sale on transcons. I'm guessing that is the reason.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jaysonb22
I was looking yesterday and they had OAR fares for sale on transcons. I'm guessing that is the reason.
Which transcons? EWR-SFO/LAX have had it for a while, but no others. It has not been sold on IAD-SFO.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I have seen this happen before - as mentioned, just a glitch with how the seatmap is loaded.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
What's going on with UA2344 on April 11?

On SFO-IAD or IAD-SFO, Premium Plus seats are usually sold as Economy Plus seats.

But for UA2344 on April 11, early today on April 10, United kicked out everyone seated in rows 20-22, put them in regular economy, and cleared out the Premium Plus section. The seat map now shows the Premium Plus seats as a separate section that's currently empty. There's no way to buy into it or upgrade to it because PP is not sold on this route.

What going on? Pending aircraft change?
Old Apr 10, 2024, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Being reported here for the same flight a day earlier: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...pril-10-a.html
SPN Lifer and SFOtoMEL like this.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA EP
Am monitoring the flight and saw this thread, as I am on it this week, connecting to SYD. Six hours late yesterday, mechanical.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 1:32 pm

I'm on IAD-SFO April 16. Same thing happened - got an email on April 12 saying my seats had been changed and I wasn't able to switch back or purchase the seats. Called 1K line and the first agent had no idea what was happening (she said it was impossible to have booked those seats in the first place) and the second agent said she could see we had those seats but was unable to move us back and guessed it was due to equipment change.

T-27 hours I checked again and rows 20-22 were able to be selected.
SPN Lifer and kellydey like this.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 7:10 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Just happened to me, chat / phone agents claim they can do nothing about it. Any resolution? @kelldey; @SFOtoMEL
Wait till checkin and hope?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.