Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Seasonal Flights Out Of Key West

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2024, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

United Seasonal Flights Out Of Key West

UA seems to run a daily nonstop EYW ( Key West) to EWR (Newark) to Minneapolis ( or even worse with a 2nd stop before MSP in Chicago) that flight makes no sense for us.

I noticed that in March and April 2024 UA had/has EYW flights that connect in Houston and Chicago to MSP.

Is there a way to find out in advance of the schedule being released if UA will have flights similar to the ones below in April of 2025 ? Thanks

halls120 likes this.

Last edited by flyer4512; Apr 2, 2024 at 9:30 pm
Old Apr 2, 2024, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I suspect it will be similar. There may be a chance that UA increases flights to EYW, which they have been doing in recent years. However, I am unsure if the overall issues with Boeing delivering planes in a timely fashion will constrain UA’s ambitions for growing any further at this point.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Is there a way to find out in advance of the schedule being released if UA will have flights similar to the ones below in 2025 ? Thanks
No, by definition. Any information that you found out would constitute a release of the schedule.

Practically, UA probably won't make decisions about seasonal winter / spring flights for next year for a few months yet. Even if they're on the schedule, that's not a guarantee that UA will choose to operate them.
flyer4512, SPN Lifer and findark like this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
I'm not quite sure of the question, but United appears to find it worth serving Key West, but serves from different hubs at different times of year. They may have determined Newark is a good hub in the winter because there's amply NYC volume that will pay for the non-stop, but at other times of year using hubs in IAH and ORD make more sense.

There's no guarantee of anything, but quite often they use a similar flight pattern/schedule in future years usually because they previously determined it made sense.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drewguy
I'm not quite sure of the question,

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I noticed that in March and April 2024 UA had/has EYW flights that connect in Houston and Chicago to MSP.

Is there a way to find out in advance of the schedule being released if UA will have flights similar to the ones below in April of 2025 ? Thanks
FWIW UA still seems to run two EYW/EWR nonstops even when they have the seasonal flights.

NONSTOP
1:50 PMDeparting at 1:50 PM
4:59 PMArriving at 4:59 PM
EYWOrigin Key West, FL, US (EYW)
3H, 9MDuration 3 hours and 9 minutes
EWR

NONSTOP
6:05 PMDeparting at 6:05 PM
9:25 PMArriving at 9:25 PM
EYWOrigin Key West, FL, US (EYW)
3H, 20MDuration 3 hours and 20 minutes
EWR

Last edited by flyer4512; Apr 2, 2024 at 8:34 pm
Old Apr 2, 2024, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Even if they had one scheduled now, it's not a particularly strong indicator that they'll operate it for sure.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by mduell
Even if they had one scheduled now, it's not a particularly strong indicator that they'll operate it for sure.
Though I wouldn't agree with the near-converse of your statement, that it is any sort of indicator United won't operate it. UA has been on the EWR-EYW route for a number of years so it stands to reason the flight will return barring some cataclysmic world event.

If anything, I have my doubts about the wisdom of booking flights so very far in advance that the question of "will United actually operate this schedule?" needs to be asked.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I suspect it will be similar. There may be a chance that UA increases flights to EYW, which they have been doing in recent years. However, I am unsure if the overall issues with Boeing delivering planes in a timely fashion will constrain UA’s ambitions for growing any further at this point.
Key West has been operating at or over capacity for a while already. It's a small airport with one short runway, not very much taxiway, and boarding/deplaning via tarmac only. UA (and other airlines) have already upgauged from regional aircraft to mainline on some of its flights to/from. During peak time, the airport tarmac is literally a parking a lot, and the small waiting area sees wall to wall of people.

The short runway, at just over 5K feet, limits most mainline jets from operating at EYW. UA is already sending its 737-700 there, probably the largest plane there. Nothing in the Boeing fleet or pipeline can get anything else there.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 6:22 am

In March UA also served IAD-EYW but it seems to be gone this week. It was a combo of E175 and 737-700.
Of course with only 1 MSP-IAD service daily any connections would have required an overnight. Maybe in the future (the IAD 6 bank future if it ever happens) logical itinerary constructions could be created.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 8:35 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Key West has been operating at or over capacity for a while already. It's a small airport with one short runway, not very much taxiway, and boarding/deplaning via tarmac only. UA (and other airlines) have already upgauged from regional aircraft to mainline on some of its flights to/from. During peak time, the airport tarmac is literally a parking a lot, and the small waiting area sees wall to wall of people.

The short runway, at just over 5K feet, limits most mainline jets from operating at EYW. UA is already sending its 737-700 there, probably the largest plane there. Nothing in the Boeing fleet or pipeline can get anything else there.
I am very familiar with how small EYW is after having visited last year. It was my first time and I was surprised at how tiny it is - really not much bigger footprint-wise than some of the small municipal airports that are used! My point about growth was that even if UA sent more 73Gs (maybe A319 could work too?), they don’t have the planes to backfill other routes at the moment because they are getting less delivered than they anticipated.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764
Though I wouldn't agree with the near-converse of your statement, that it is any sort of indicator United won't operate it. UA has been on the EWR-EYW route for a number of years so it stands to reason the flight will return barring some cataclysmic world event.
Agreed, I'm just saying it's not a strong indicator of a seasonal flight being executed, especially in the post-COVID environment.

I think OP is asking about the seasonal non-EWR flights, not the EWR flight.
EWR764 and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.