Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Korean/Asiana merger now approved by the EU and Japan, OZ departure from *A

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Korean/Asiana merger now approved by the EU and Japan, OZ departure from *A

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2024, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I wonder if Star Alliance might get any new members - losing OZ and SK is unfortunate.
Another Chinese Airline would be nice.
atword likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold Choice Gold Wyndham Platinum IHG Platinum Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
Thread seems a bit premature since the US DoJ is still against the merger
And its ONLY the DOJ left opposing this, but that shouldn't come as a shock as, not going too far into OMNI territory, any and every airline merger and acquisition proposed over the past three years is at a dead-end, which could have major long-term negative consequences if certain airlines begin filing Chapter 11 left and right. Should there be concessions/negotiations by Korean? Yes, I believe year-round double daily SFO-ICN recently announced by United and the merged Korean/Asiana should divest a SFO-ICN flight, ditto LAX-ICN, potentially allowing AA to look into LAX-ICN as they were close to announcing it before COVID hit as examples of concessions. But the current attitude of the DOJ of not even entertaining such concessions, as the UK/EU/Japan all asked for, negotiated, and agree to, is most unhelpful. Korean should move forward this year with the Asiana acquisition, calling the DOJ's bluff.

Originally Posted by narvik
I think I know which one you are referring to and it pains me to read it as a Chinese airline now but for all tense and purposes, it is a Chinese airline now.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 26, 2024 at 10:03 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 26, 2024, 10:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
I wonder what UA will use as a lounge for its passengers at ICN? The Priority Pass lounge is nice and big, but lacks bathrooms.
IIRC Asiana uses T1 at ICN while KE (and SkyTeam) moved to the newer T2. I would expect Asiana to eventually move to T2 after the merger with KE, so that the current Asiana lounge space would be available to another airline/alliance/credit card to make into its own lounge in T1.
SPN Lifer and rittenhousesq like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I wonder if Star Alliance might get any new members - losing OZ and SK is unfortunate.
ITA is "in the wings" provided LH will acquire them.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 12:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cesco.g
ITA is "in the wings" provided LH will acquire them.
Unfortunately there are regulatory hang-ups there as well.

To me, the loss of SK is much greater than the loss of OZ, as *A already has such fantastic Asian coverage with NH, BR, SQ, and TG. OZ used to be much more generous with premium cabin award space, but its utility has declined (at least for me) as the screws have tightened on that in recent years. I never much liked the ICN transfers (or lounges), though they are relatively efficient, and OZ still flies a dreadful angle-flat seat on most intra-Asia routes.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Longboater
But the current attitude of the DOJ of not even entertaining such concessions, as the UK/EU/Japan all asked for, negotiated, and agree to, is most unhelpful. Korean should move forward this year with the Asiana acquisition, calling the DOJ's bluff.
not sure how youd propose they do that - if theyve filed for merger approval they have to wait until its received. Any effort to close despite that is likely to result in further delays as DOJ seeks a TRO to halt integration as well as penalties. They could force DOJ to bring a suit, but thats likely to lead to a trial at least 6 months later with more time for decision by a court.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 9:07 am

Programs: UA 1k
As someone who lives in Europe and used OZ recently, was lucky enough to sit upper deck on OZ's last 744 (was only one seat in the old F cabin unfortunately and more than one of us), which I believe retired last week. OZ + SK departure will actually have me considering taking another look at KL/AF, especially if they continue to open up reasonable USA-EUR award space in J, so I can shuffle family around on the cheap.
uanj likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 8:01 pm

Air Premia, T'way Air, looking to join Star Alliance when OZ leaves

https://www.ch-aviation.com/news/139...lliance-report

Article should explain everything.
ksw likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by sonyeoshin
Bolding mine:

"The Korean-language Asian Economy outlet reports that both airlines have begun laying the groundwork to join the alliance, which requires member carriers to meet certain safety, operational, fleet, and network requirements, in addition to having full IATA membership and a functional frequent flyer programme. Currently neither airline can meet the full suite of requirements."
SPN Lifer and nlf like this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 6:46 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
This likely won't close this eyar as it's still going through DOJ pushback right? I have my first Asiana flight ever booked for November purely to get the PQP/PQF credited to UA...
Old Apr 26, 2024, 7:47 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Warriorconcept
This likely won't close this eyar as it's still going through DOJ pushback right? I have my first Asiana flight ever booked for November purely to get the PQP/PQF credited to UA...
At this point I'd say there's zero chance OZ will leave *A before the end of the year.
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 8:06 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
At this point I'd say there's zero chance OZ will leave *A before the end of the year.
Cheers!
Old Apr 26, 2024, 7:25 pm

Perhaps Cathay Pacific if Air China increases their stake?

"The Korean-language Asian Economy outlet reports that both airlines have begun laying the groundwork to join the alliance, which requires member carriers to meet certain safety, operational, fleet, and network requirements, in addition to having full IATA membership and a functional frequent flyer programme. Currently neither airline can meet the full suite of requirements."
What about "joining" as an affiliate airline?
Old Apr 26, 2024, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA
In particular, Air Premia is currently not an IATA member and T'way does not have a frequent flyer program.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 7, 2024, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Warriorconcept
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Similar to Warriorconcept, I have two OZ SFO-ICN flight booked via AC AP for November.

What would happen to our flights if OZ do leave *A before Nov?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.