Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does awarding status levels based upon spend generate more revenue?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does awarding status levels based upon spend generate more revenue?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2024, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jbarbie
I'm Star Alliance Gold for life
No, you're not. (And neither am I, as a fellow 1MMer).

You're United Gold for life. UA makes absolutely no promises about Star Gold, nor does Star Alliance make any guarantees about what Star Gold status will mean on a year-to-year basis.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Once folks understand that the only aspect of the frequent flyer program at United is the lifetime status the happier Mileage Plus members will be. Lifetime Gold is a nice place to be.

For United the focus is maximizing revenue for shareholders as that is how management is rewarded. [Slightly off topic but the recently announced changed at Boeing to including Quality in the management metric is telling on where management will now direct focus.]

Frequent flyer programs were originally introduced to encourage flying loyalty. This is no longer required to generate revenue for the airlines. My 1K perks keep me primarily with United. My friends who fly once or twice a year choose least cost.
Agreed. Having lifetime 1K helps with better seats. If I were starting out, I would have to do a deep dive into DL/AA/UA/AS (maybe even AF) and guess what levels of million miler would look like in 20 years; probably impossible. I will never earn enough for lifetime GS and really only care about international long hauls. There is a dollar pain point for everyone, choosing the highest fare code that doesnt break the bank has been my strategy for nailing down upgrades these days.

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
The key thing to remember is that you have a choice of airlines. I switched from UA to BA because a combination of the new MP program sinking to below BA’s, and generally better pricing on BA - the latter being variable and somewhat marginal. I generally prefer UA but, after the changes, its proposition is no longer compelling.
Are you affected by the fees that BA charges for flights in/out of LHR? I have steered away from them as it can another $1K on to a business class ticket.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 20, 2024 at 3:21 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.