No more widebody jets IAH-EWR?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2024, 5:30 pm
txp
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
No more widebody jets IAH-EWR?

Hi everyone,

I have noticed that for the next few months or so there are no widebody jets scheduled between IAH and EWR. For as long as I can remember, UA (and previously CO) used to operate two or three flights per day on that route with a B767/777/787 equipped with international business class cabins. All of these configurations were superior to domestic F (even in their earlier incarnations).

Now, the best I can find is the 757-200, which is still superior to the domestic F product. But the 767/777/787 are gone. Does anyone know why?

Thank you!
Old Mar 7, 2024, 5:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by txp
Does anyone know why?
More profitable deployments.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 5:33 pm
txp
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
More profitable deployments.
I get that. But I have seen those wide-body jets on that route since at least 2002 until early 2024. Why now? What changed?
Old Mar 7, 2024, 5:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by txp
I get that. But I have seen those wide-body jets on that route since at least 2002. Why now?
Only someone with internal knowledge of United's complete schedule can answer that, and I'm sure they would be immediately fired if they did.
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 5:37 pm
txp
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Only someone with internal knowledge of United's complete schedule can answer that, and I'm sure they would be immediately fired if they did.
Why would they be fired? This is not a trade secret or anything close. Unless the jets have been commandeered for some higher purpose! :-)
Old Mar 7, 2024, 5:40 pm

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
I just booked IAH-EWR-CDG in late October and the 9:35am flight is on the 767-300....yeah. Hopefully that will stay. Scored some free PP (E+) seats due to being PP out of EWR.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 5:44 pm
txp
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VRFast
I just booked IAH-EWR-CDG in late October and the 9:35am flight is on the 767-300....yeah. Hopefully that will stay. Scored some free PP (E+) seats due to being PP out of EWR.
Yes, they are scheduled to return sometime late summer. But for now, they are gone.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 5:46 pm

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by txp
Yes, they are scheduled to return sometime late summer. But for now, they are gone.
I just checked and the 10:05am flight today was actually a 777-200ER, as well as the one before that.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 5:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Widebodies will be need to the TATL/TPAC summer demand -- UA just announce multiple new widebody routes.
Latest UA New Routes: EWR-RAK, IAH-MDE, NRT-CEB + more EWR-OPO, SFO-ICN, LAX-HKG/PVG
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by txp
I get that. But I have seen those wide-body jets on that route since at least 2002 until early 2024. Why now? What changed?
UA decided there were better places to use them. Putting a bunch of Polaris seats on a relatively short non-redeye route sold as F isn’t particularly good use of those seats.
halls120 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
The "why" is they built a more efficient schedule for whatever time period you're looking at without one.

Other than the 777HD which does some hub-hub in addition to Hawaii, the hub-hub widebodies are mostly just rotations for utilization: something comes up from deep south america to IAH, then heads to EWR to get some utilization before an early afternoon flight to Europe. They come and go as the schedules change across seasons and the widebodies on a given longhaul route change. Sometimes IAH-IAD has a 8am widebody, sometimes a noon widebody, sometimes none. Sometimes IAH-IAD has a widebody on one flight a day while IAD-IAH has none.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 10:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
I miss the old daily 3-class 767 that used to run from EWR-ORD back in ~2016-2018. I still regret not taking that flight and getting to sit up in the Global F suites before they were discontinued. Would've been an easy DCA-EWR-ORD, then ORD-DCA daytime trip.

Nowadays, the biggest aircraft I see between EWR-ORD is the 757.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 11:28 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
I miss the old daily 3-class 767 that used to run from EWR-ORD back in ~2016-2018. I still regret not taking that flight and getting to sit up in the Global F suites before they were discontinued. Would've been an easy DCA-EWR-ORD, then ORD-DCA daytime trip.

Yeah, that was a great flight & I sat many times in the GF cabin. Sometimes I literally rooted for delays once boarded...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369

You could find them on ORD-IAH and v.v., too.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 3:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by physioprof
Yeah, that was a great flight & I sat many times in the GF cabin. Sometimes I literally rooted for delays once boarded...
Lucky. I've never set foot in classic pmUA 3-class suites. Wish I did before they did away with them.

I'm going to try and catch AA's 77W in 3-class F before they also do away with that. Kinda hate the trend of doing away with F for airlines in general—I can understand that F might not get a ton of business/paid traffic, but there was just something special about a 3-cabin setting (and no, not the current J/W/Y configurations we see now).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.