Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR Airtrain access fee increases to $8.50 on March 1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2024, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus

I got this Twitter notification the other day and was kinda shocked. I never realized that part of the NJTransit ticket consists of this access fee, and to me this is an unconscionable price for such a subpar service. Apart from being slow and prone to breakdowns, it doesn’t even get to Terminal A fully.

My only other area of comparison is PHX which has a similar Skytrain for free. Sorry for the rant but does anyone feel this way and is there anywhere I can write to about this?
Old Mar 2, 2024, 8:15 pm

The Port Authority is the worst and the fee sucks. The Port Authority charges the fee for using the AirTrain at EWR and JFK. It really significantly adds to the cost of NJ Transit tickets.

If I remember correctly, on NJ Transit rail:
EWR to NY Penn is $15.25
Elizabeth (which is one stop further away from NYC than EWR) to NY Penn is $7.25
Trenton to NY Penn (which is the entire length of the Northeast Corridor Line) is $16.75

Unfortunately, I don't think there is much any of us can do about the fee. UA knows that a traveler like myself that flies direct from SFO is stuck. I either fly UA and pay the AirTrain fee at EWR, or I fly B6, AA or DL and pay the AirTrain fee at JFK. UA knows that my displeasure with the AirTrain fee at EWR won't make me fly on their competitors out of JFK. No NY or NJ politician is going to take my emails seriously either as I am not eligible to vote for them.

I've never done this on my way to NYC, but to avoid the fee you can take the NJ Transit Bus from EWR Terminal C to Newark Penn Station for $1.60. You can then get to Manhattan on PATH for $2.75 or NJ Transit Rail for $5.25.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by scottpenderson
I've never done this on my way to NYC, but to avoid the fee you can take the NJ Transit Bus from EWR Terminal C to Newark Penn Station for $1.60. You can then get to Manhattan on PATH for $2.75 or NJ Transit Rail for $5.25.
I've taken the NJTransit #62 bus between Newark Airport and Newark Penn Station -- in both directions -- a number of times. The bus serves terminals A, B, and C. Travel time is approximately 20-22 minutes -- subject to traffic conditions, of course.
uanj and scottpenderson like this.

Last edited by guv1976; Mar 2, 2024 at 9:45 pm
Old Mar 2, 2024, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Good luck with your feedback...it will go nowhere; PA NY/NJ does NOT care.

Regarding the 62 bus, both directions (Elizabeth and Newark Penn) stop at EWR terminals - be sure to get the correct direction. You may see some unsavory scenes on the bus, but it's a good alternative to the unreliable Airtrain, especially if you leave from or arrive into Terminal A often, where reaching Airtrain is time consuming.

Also, if you use EWR a lot, buy a 10 trip to save some money, if you want to use Airtrain.

Newark to Penn is currently $5.25; alternatively, you can take PATH train for additional money savings, but the tradeoff would be pack a lot of lead time.

Head to NYC subforum in the Destinations section for more info.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 11:00 pm

https://new.mta.info/guides/airports/newark-ewr

Looks like PATH train and NJ Transit route 62 is the way to go. Saves money even before the EWR airtrain fare rose.

Out here in San Francisco, BART has a similar expensive surcharge for SFO and OAK stations. To avoid the surcharge, you could use a local bus from a nearby BART station.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by scottpenderson
NJTransit Bus fare will go up to $1.80 in the summer based on proposed increases. I usually do NJ Bus + PATH to and from EWR. I find it acceptable based on the total price ($1.60 + $2.60 for me, since I buy the 10-trip PATH fare), though still more expensive than going to LGA for $2.90.

Originally Posted by guv1976
I've taken the NJTransit #62 bus between Newark Airport and Newark Penn Station -- in both directions -- a number of times. The bus serves terminals A, B, and C. Travel time is approximately 20-22 minutes -- subject to traffic conditions, of course.
It's a bit longer, since the bus needs to make that huge detour to new Terminal A. From Newark Penn to Terminal A is around 22-25min and to Terminal C is around 28-30min.
scottpenderson likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 3:38 am

Programs: UA1K
+1 for the 62 bus + PATH. You'll definitely want to add in some extra time in case there are any issues. I feel like every time I do this, the PATH from Manhattan arrives within minutes of the 62 leaving, and I'm either sprinting to the stop or resigned to wait an extra 30 minutes
Old Mar 3, 2024, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
62 and Path indeed. If nothing else I do this to protest the ridiculous airtrain fee, but getting to downtown Manhattan via Path train is more efficient anyway
hirohito888 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by unitedwildcat
+1 for the 62 bus + PATH. You'll definitely want to add in some extra time in case there are any issues. I feel like every time I do this, the PATH from Manhattan arrives within minutes of the 62 leaving, and I'm either sprinting to the stop or resigned to wait an extra 30 minutes
I usually check the schedules to make sure the connection time works. Both are fairly punctual unless there's track work on PATH. The only issue is that PATH is not that frequent outside of rush hour, usually 15-20min intervals, while Bus 62 is usually 15min intervals all day.

I find waiting for PATH to Manhattan more annoying since it's less frequent and I'm usually arriving so I want to get home. Waiting for Bus 62 to EWR is not too bad, worse case if bus doesn't come, it's just a 12min and $15 Uber ride to EWR from Newark Penn.

But I'm used to taking public transport to all 3 NYC airports to avoid the stupid AirTrain fees (even the JFK one).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sonyeoshin
BART has a similar expensive surcharge for SFO and OAK stations..
All major North American airports I can think of that have transit also have surcharges for airport trips.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
All major North American airports I can think of that have transit also have surcharges for airport trips.
Cleveland and Atlanta might be exceptions?
Old Mar 3, 2024, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by hirohito888
But I'm used to taking public transport to all 3 NYC airports to avoid the stupid AirTrain fees (even the JFK one).
Same!

At least Airtrain JFK you can buy a 10-trip 30 day, and lower the per trip swipe down to $2.6 per ride if you can swipe 10 times within 30 days, or just share with others.

PSA: if you are taking 62 bus + PATH, especially on weekends, into and leaving from midtown Manhattan, consider budget a lot of extra time. PATH train routes consolidate on weekends into just two, and you have to ride between NYC and Hoboken, Hoboken and Journal Sq., Journal Sq., and Newark Penn.

I would recommend skipping the PATH, and pay the extra $2.50 by using the ~20 minute NJ transit ride in and out of NYC.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Not really. A few don't have surcharge: DFW (Dart Rail), MIA (Metrorail), PHX (Valley Metro), DCA and IAD (metro), SEA (light rail), PDX (light rail). If by public bus, then: LGA, AUS, MCI, and many more.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by azfanboy
I never realized that part of the NJTransit ticket consists of this access fee, and to me this is an unconscionable price for such a subpar service. Apart from being slow and prone to breakdowns, it doesn’t even get to Terminal A fully.
Such a miserable experience. It’s almost as if the they went in and said: How can we design this to fit in as few passengers as we can get away with, and make it as uncomfortable for them as possible.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 1 MM, Marriott LT-Plt, Hyatt Glb
Two key distinctions between those airports with and without surcharges:
  • Are the last mile connectors run by the same agency as the primary transit link? If not (AirTrain) you are not paying a surcharge, you're paying for the last mile service. The distinction between last mile service (AirTrain) and a terminal connector that stops at the transit station makes this a little less than black and white.
  • Was the transit connection to the airport paid by bonds or other funding that requires some level of capital payback (SFO, DEN)? If yes, you're surcharge was part of the agreement to build the link.
I love transit to the airports, and I wish there were more rail links, even intercity rail links (EWR, BWI).
SPN Lifer and m.y like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.