Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Open seats in E+, but tough F upgrades for 1K?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2024, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC

Ive flown some flights that I dont commonly do and Ive had a middle E+ and a whole E+ row to myself - when Ive had ope seats next to me about 2 in 10 years and had F clear for me just as an 1K.

My first thought was that demand might be down for flying- but what I thought was really interesting was the how many E+ seats were open and Id still be WAY out of the upgrade window? I know this is the lul between holidays and spring break, but is there a quantitative drop in load?

I was kind of gettin used to having to use a coupon/miles/dollars to get upgraded, but I was surprised at a low load how FAR out I was still.

Has UA tweaked their algorithm to get people to choose F over E+? I just looked at a common flight I take- Out Mon/Mornign back Fri/evening, and the delta from E to F was $250? I havent had to buy E+ but I thought that was $50 or $100 per flight(or per trip?). I consider E+ the minimum to travel, so that delta would be even lower if you dont have status. IE if you are going to buy E+, you might as well buy F (meal, drinks, seat, boarding)?

I dont know. Open seats next to me are rare.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by PushingTin
Ive flown some flights that I dont commonly do and Ive had a middle E+ and a whole E+ row to myself - when Ive had ope seats next to me about 2 in 10 years and had F clear for me just as an 1K.

My first thought was that demand might be down for flying- but what I thought was really interesting was the how many E+ seats were open and Id still be WAY out of the upgrade window? I know this is the lul between holidays and spring break, but is there a quantitative drop in load?

I was kind of gettin used to having to use a coupon/miles/dollars to get upgraded, but I was surprised at a low load how FAR out I was still.

Has UA tweaked their algorithm to get people to choose F over E+? I just looked at a common flight I take- Out Mon/Mornign back Fri/evening, and the delta from E to F was $250? I havent had to buy E+ but I thought that was $50 or $100 per flight(or per trip?). I consider E+ the minimum to travel, so that delta would be even lower if you dont have status. IE if you are going to buy E+, you might as well buy F (meal, drinks, seat, boarding)?

I dont know. Open seats next to me are rare.
Good observation. There are threads dedicated to this very point and the monetization of the front cabin.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
Absolutely second this observation. A handful of non peak flights lately that historically would easily clear, only to have hobo first in E+ and not even coming in top 5 on the upgrade list.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Same here. I am often far back on the upgrade list and don't make it, even on non-business destination during off-peak times and days.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
FCM is selling F at pretty reasonable market clearing prices (~75-80% sold). E+ isn't much of an improvement for most travelers, even at $50-150. E+ loads have little to do with upgrades.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 5:03 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Just booked 2 one ways for a short business trip next week. UA wanted $1,500 for a round trip in basic fares in Y that don't earn SQMs on AC. I checked for 2 one ways and the price dropped to $850 DL/AA. Decided to check J for poops and giggles... $1,000 for same itineraries. Plus no need to pay for seats, priority boarding lounge access (on one routing) and better IRROPs protection.

Not signalling out UA here as i've seen the same thing through various iterations of UA/AA/DL.

Bottom line: I believe we are on the cusp of better off being free agents and not tied to one alliance. Too many credit cards generating points. More people paying for upgrades. If you want J, pay for J and pick the airline with the best prices routing product. I've been doing that for a while now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.