Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

first world problem - slamming lavatory doors

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2024, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey

First - this is a first world problem. Second - this is what I have observed and I can be completely wrong.

With the above being said, I have found it quite amusing to me that the number of people who slam the bathroom door is actually pretty high. You don’t slam a door at home or anywhere else, why on a plane?

I have only noticed this since i now have a child and travel with the family, and for practical reasons, we typically book bulkhead rows (3 together). However, this means we’re by the lavatories most of the time and it ends up waking him up during naps.

Just a musing from me. I was going to also say that I dont see this happening in domestic first or polaris as much (but before the pitchforks come out) i do believe its just a function of pax to lav ratio.

Anyone else see this more and more?
Old Feb 16, 2024, 8:57 pm

One reason why this could happen especially with infrequent travelers is since lavatory doors are foreign to them, they will not understand how they work very well and will therefore not use them very correctly. Another reason could be because the plane's movement while cruising could slightly mess up how people move on planes, pax will shut doors harder than they usually would so the door would actually shut. In my experience, I have found lavatory doors to often be forced open when trying to get in and out, so some strength is needed for me to open lav doors.

I frequently see FAs help pax with lav doors for reasons set above.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 9:14 pm

The much worse problem in my opinion is people coming out and leaving the lavatory door open! Ick!
featheroleather likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 9:19 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
I am always surprised by how many people dont know how to OPEN the door or what the red occupied sign means. And dont get me started about how many don't know how to flush... 😱
Old Feb 17, 2024, 1:48 pm

I'm more surprised at the people who don't know how to properly lock an airplane lav door. Like, if the light doesn't come on the door isn't closed all the way.
Repooc17, SPN Lifer and lincolnjkc like this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by DutchessPDX
I'm more surprised at the people who don't know how to properly lock an airplane lav door. Like, if the light doesn't come on the door isn't closed all the way.
Yeah, some lav is somewhat dark without the locking mechanism.

Also, if there is a closer on the way to the lav, that would trip up a lot of users. I am guessing the size of the lav will eventually be as small as the closet.

OP, personally I am not bothered by the occasional banging. I am used to people at my mom's apt where they just let the (thick) door close by itself, creating a loud sound even with good soundproofing and some distances away. Worst part is they don't do it once or twice a day; sometimes 5-6 in less than 30 secs.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 5:12 pm

Some with the bifold doors have a really strong spring and slam themselves before you can catch the door. As for the regular doors with a door handle, I'd be really grateful if even half of passengers started closing the door after leaving the lavatory. Right now, about one in ten does. It's annoying and smelly.
sexykitten7 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 5:32 pm

Can also be solved with an intentional design. I was at my first conference at The Wynn Las Vegas earlier in the month and noticed the doors to all conference rooms had been designed not to slam.
PS: Was this a particular aircraft type?
Old Feb 17, 2024, 5:45 pm

If you need to fly in the bulkhead row by the lavatories (and/or mid-cabin galleries), consider bringing earplugs for your family!
Old Feb 17, 2024, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Can also be solved with an intentional design. I was at my first conference at The Wynn Las Vegas earlier in the month and noticed the doors to all conference rooms had been designed not to slam.
PS: Was this a particular aircraft type?
737 Max 9 on this past trip
Old Feb 18, 2024, 7:23 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Rumples
First - this is a first world problem. Second - this is what I have observed and I can be completely wrong.

With the above being said, I have found it quite amusing to me that the number of people who slam the bathroom door is actually pretty high. You don’t slam a door at home or anywhere else, why on a plane?

I have only noticed this since i now have a child and travel with the family, and for practical reasons, we typically book bulkhead rows (3 together). However, this means we’re by the lavatories most of the time and it ends up waking him up during naps.

Just a musing from me. I was going to also say that I dont see this happening in domestic first or polaris as much (but before the pitchforks come out) i do believe its just a function of pax to lav ratio.

Anyone else see this more and more?
I did notice this in Polaris and is one of the reasons i no longer sit in 9A/L. Loved the larger footwell but the number of times i got woken by the slamming of the lavatory door just ended up by me not choosing that seat. Similar for 1L on some Polaris flights.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 10:04 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I did notice this in Polaris and is one of the reasons i no longer sit in 9A/L. Loved the larger footwell but the number of times i got woken by the slamming of the lavatory door just ended up by me not choosing that seat. Similar for 1L on some Polaris flights.
Same ... I avoid 9A/L and 1L on the 789 for this reason - too much slamming.
Aussienarelle and Rumples like this.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Rumples
You don’t slam a door at home or anywhere else, why on a plane?
I wish. I had to educate several younger guests (family) how door handles work. So it doesn’t surprise me that you experienced excessive door slamming on airplanes, though to be honest I don’t personally recall any “incidents”.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.