Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Refunds/Cancellations Due to Illness/Death" Thread {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Consolidated "Refunds/Cancellations Due to Illness/Death" Thread [Merged]

The refund process
1) You cancel the trip prior to day of departure. You will receive a notice of cancellation and nothing else.

2) You have 1 year from the original purchase date to reschedule travel (the new trip has to start within that one year period). The new travel must be in the same name as the original ticket. Keep the record locator (PNR) and e-ticket number to reference when rescheduling. (This will be a FFC)

3) At the time of rescheduling you will need to paid in full with new money the change fee. You will be able to apply the full purchase price of the original trip toward the new trip. The rescheduling /credit is handled by modifying the canceled record (not by start a brand new reservation and applying a credit).

4) If the new trip is less expensive, you will receive an e-voucher good for future travel. The e-voucher is good for 1 year from when it was issued and can be used by anyone.

5) After paying the full change fee, If requesting a refund, you need to applied to UA for a medical waiver (E-Ticket refund). When applying for the refund you will need to provide documentation (there is a method for uploading documents)In the case of relative or traveling companion's death: Please provide a death certificate.
If you are sick: Please provide a doctors note advising you not to fly.
If you have an immediate family who is sick: Please provide the name, address and telephone number of the hospital where they are admitted and the name of their doctor.
If you have jury duty: Please provide a copy of your jury duty notice.
If approved, our change fee will be refunded minus a $50 processing charge.

Note: If the medical certification forbids travel in the one year period, a full refund to original method of payment (versus e-voucher) is possible. There will see be a $50 processing fee.
United Airlines drops $50 fee for hardship refunds Nov 2015

From UA's Contract of Carriage {13 Dec 2013}
If a Passenger is unable to commence or continue travel because of the death or serious illness of the Passenger, the Passengers immediate family member(s), or the Passengers traveling companion(s), UA may waive or refund any applicable change fees (less a processing fee) associated with changing the ticket(s).
Immediate Family Member means spouse, children, step-children, foster children, legally adopted wards, son/daughter-in-law, grandchildren, parents, step-parents, legal guardians, mother/father-in-law, grandparents, brother/sister, step-brother/sister, half-brother/sister, brother/sister-in-law, aunts/uncles and nieces/nephews.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Refunds/Cancellations Due to Illness/Death" Thread {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:46 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
First point, if you are sick and you have to cancel a non-refundable trip and you provide United with documentation from your medical professionals they will refund all but $50 of the change fees involved. I know, 4 years ago I had to cancel EWR to AMS at the last minute because I was busy not having a fatal heart attack. I called UA from the hospital the night before my cardiac cath--after failing my stress test pretty badly--and they told me then to just provide proper documentation when I re-booked the reservation and they would refund all but $50. I did and they did.

Second point, it is not just airlines. That EWR to AMS trip was to pick up a cruise ship. Obviously I had to cancel the cruise last minute as well and the cruise line did nothing. They kept over $5000 refunding only my taxes and port charges. They also refused to give me loyalty points for the trip because "sorry, you actually have to take the cruise.." That was a whole lot more unsettling than UA's response. Fortunately I had trip insurance and they did pay out on 90% of my loss and I was able to make the trip the following year. The other good news is I am now coming up on the 4th anniversary of that event and I am still doing well . Thank you modern medicene and thank you wife for insisting I go to the ER that night.....
Old Apr 29, 2018, 12:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by gene2632
First point, if you are sick and you have to cancel a non-refundable trip and you provide United with documentation from your medical professionals they will refund all but $50 of the change fees involved.
United no longer charges the $50 administrative fee on change fee refunds. If you have to change a ticket due to illness, you'll get the full amount of the change fee back.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by gene2632
First point, if you are sick and you have to cancel a non-refundable trip and you provide United with documentation from your medical professionals they will refund all but $50 of the change fees involved. I know, 4 years ago I had to cancel EWR to AMS at the last minute because I was busy not having a fatal heart attack. I called UA from the hospital the night before my cardiac cath--after failing my stress test pretty badly--and they told me then to just provide proper documentation when I re-booked the reservation and they would refund all but $50. I did and they did.
Is there a time limit? We cancelled a nonrefundable EWR-LHR trip last April 28...almost a year ago, because my wife was recovering from a gall bladder operation. Tickets were of course purchased some time before that. When I cancelled, they said to get a doctor's note when we wanted to rebook. Are those tickets still valid? or did we miss the boat (plane)?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by hughw
Is there a time limit? We cancelled a nonrefundable EWR-LHR trip last April 28...almost a year ago, because my wife was recovering from a gall bladder operation. Tickets were of course purchased some time before that. When I cancelled, they said to get a doctor's note when we wanted to rebook. Are those tickets still valid? or did we miss the boat (plane)?
You missed it. Tickets are only valid one year from issuance. So, if you had purchased those tickets on January 15, 2017, for an April 28, 2017, Flight, the tickets expired on January 15, 2018.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Originally Posted by hughw
Typically you have a year to use the ticket or the credit they give you for the ticket. They do not charge the change fee until you actually use the credit. Once they charge the change fee you can then apply for the refund of the change fee. If you are inside the one year window contact them about re-book ASAP If you are outside the window, maybe if you ask and explain the might waive the one year limit but no promises on that issue.

Originally Posted by Sykes
United no longer charges the $50 administrative fee on change fee refunds. If you have to change a ticket due to illness, you'll get the full amount of the change fee back.
Nice to know. My issue was almost 4 years ago and they did charge the fee. Thankfully I have not had any issues since then.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 29, 2018 at 4:12 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: United 1K
Medical Emergency Can't Fly

What is United's refund policy when it comes to a medical emergency that requires my significant other and I to miss a flight? A weekend lung collapse has canceled my travel plans for the next few days. United rep says "You have the value of the ticket with a $200 change fee, but after you re-use the ticket you can submit letter from doctor to get $200 change fee refund" - She wasn't as clear regarding a refund for the paid upgrade on one segment.

Anyone had any experience with United on this and what actually happens?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 2, 2018 at 5:44 pm Reason: Merged into master thread, see wiki
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:37 pm

In the past I would just cancel my ticket. Make sure to do it before departure. Then submit a letter from gour physician startin that you weren't able to fly. That will waive any change fee. You will have one year to use the value of your ticket.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:08 pm

As others have said, you need to cancel before departure, rebook your flight, pay the change fee, and request refund of the change fee. If you can't medically fly within a whole year, you can get a refund of the ticket.

Policy states that the upgrade isn't refundable unless you fly coach. But always worth a shot with medical documentation.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ds/refund.aspx

Fill out the form or click "Refund Policy" tab to read more.

You'll probably have to fill out two refund requests: one for the ticket and one for the ticket (or change fee) and one for the cabin upgrade.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 11:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Consolidated "Refunds/Cancellations Due to Illness/Death" Thread [Merged]

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 8, 2024 at 11:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.