Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA widebodies on domestic routes {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2024, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is UA widebodies on domestic routes
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines

Here I ..... and moan about UA and their CR2's from PHX to LAX. Imagine my surprise yesterday when I booked ORD-IAH-PHX trip only to see a 763 on the ORD leg with lie flats no less!

The last time I can remember flying a widebody domestically was back in November of 2002 when I flew a 744 from ORD to DEN.

I'm not complaining and if I get upgraded I really won't complain.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
There's a decent number of them between hubs. IAH-IAD/vv has a 772 or 763 regularly for flights 249/373, IAD-SFO has an evening 777, IAH-EWR has some 767, IAH-DEN/SFO some 787, etc.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by mduell
There's a decent number of them between hubs. IAH-IAD/vv has a 772 or 763 regularly for flights 249/373, IAD-SFO has an evening 777, IAH-EWR has some 767, IAH-DEN/SFO some 787, etc.
Is that a new occurrence or has that been going on a long time?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian
Sometimes it's aircraft positioning. When IAD-IAH was a 777, it was to then continue to GRU. When IAH-GRU 777 went away, so did IAD-IAH 777
Old Aug 6, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Gold
I had a three-class 777 SFO-ORD over the summer. I also saw a Hawaii-config 777 ORD-SFO while doing some searching for some fall travel.

It's like finding treasure!
Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
PMCO had them pretty regularly IAH-EWR/vv, PMUA had some like SFO-ORD or LAX-IAD, but now that they're crossfleeting more and with the 788 basing/flying mismatching it seems like there's more than there have been in the last couple years.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by mduell
PMCO had them pretty regularly IAH-EWR/vv, PMUA had some like SFO-ORD or LAX-IAD, but now that they're crossfleeting more and with the 788 basing/flying mismatching it seems like there's more than there have been in the last couple years.
UA announced a few months ago they would be upgauging. This meant bigger regionals and regional to mainline, but also some mainline upgauging. For example when VX entered the ORD-SFO/LAX market UA flooded with hourly flights. It's just not necessary to fly 14 narrow bodies when 2 or 3 of them can be rolled into 1 widebody. ORDSFO has already seen daily 777 and double daily some days for several months now. ORDIAH has generally had 767 and so has ORDEWR. I don't think we'll see a return to the 2000's when I flew 747 IAD-ORD and 777 SEA-DEN but they will be adding more in the coming months.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by intractable
I had a three-class 777 SFO-ORD over the summer.
There was one ORD-LAX-ORD too
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
I remember when years ago (probably late 90's) UA used to fly a 767 BWI-ORD.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:59 pm

I did not specifically look for wide bodies to book, but encountered wide bodies often when my flights were hub to hub in the early morning. For example, SFO-IAD with a 777, SFO-IAH with a 767, and IAH to SFO with a 787.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 1:08 pm

IME this seems to be more common in the busier summer months. For example I think the IAD-SFO 777 morning/evening flight goes back to a mix of 739/757 in the Fall.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
lots of 789 flights DEN-LAX and v/v the next couple months. Can even get N fares. I bought a den-lax-den r/t for $107, both flights on the 789.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 3:39 pm

I've got one booked in 2 weeks of ORD-LAX on a 777, I decided to book it since why not
Old Aug 6, 2015, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) | National Exec Elite | Global Entry | HH Silver
DEN -> IAH and vice versa is a once a day 787-8 and has been for a while now. It's part of a regular loop (IAH -> DEN -> NRT -> DEN -> IAH).

I'm glad to hear about what sounds like a daily (or near daily) 787-9 between DEN and LAX. l'm personally hoping that United brings daily (at least one flight per day if not more) wide-body service back for hub to hub flights. DEN to/from IAD could really use with how full those flights are and the number of elites and business travelers that frequent that route. I remember years ago when DEN/IAD was regularly a 777.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GMoneyCO
DEN -> IAH and vice versa is a once a day 787-8 and has been for a while now. It's part of a regular loop (IAH -> DEN -> NRT -> DEN -> IAH).

I'm glad to hear about what sounds like a daily (or near daily) 787-9 between DEN and LAX. l'm personally hoping that United brings daily (at least one flight per day if not more) wide-body service back for hub to hub flights. DEN to/from IAD could really use with how full those flights are and the number of elites and business travelers that frequent that route. I remember years ago when DEN/IAD was regularly a 777.
I've flown the 787 from IAH-LAX, and am flying it next weekend IAH-DEN. Picked next weekends flight specifically for that.

Back when I was on a project in Chicago a couple years ago, the Thursday afternoon consultant flight from ORD-IAH was frequently a widebody.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.